Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unpilot, I'm calling you out.
Two weekends ago you stated it would be a good week for Tesla and TSLA went up 5.0%
Last weekend you stated it would again be a good week for Tesla and TSLA went up 11.3%.
You should have stated it would be twice as good.
I'm beginning to think that you are just guessing.

Um, so what's in store for next week?

View attachment 490788
You have no idea the number of dead chicken's I had to throw over my LEFT shoulder in order to see the future.

Next week is gunna be glorious.

Just watch.

Please elaborate AIMc...what makes you think that? I think Ihor’s numbers may underestimate the covering we’ve seen. Then again, I know nothing.

Ihor's numbers are usually off (IMO) but they are 'close enough' to show that there has not been 'significant' short covering. The last time we had this type of strength in SP rise was Tencent quietly buying. While I am often wrong I do anticipate seeing a 13D from an entity in the next few days.

My favorite candidates: Saudis, Norwegian Wealth Fund, pick'em Chinese firm. My wild cards (probably not ones)...Apple/Berkshire Hathaway.

Ihor's numbers are usually off (IMO) but they are 'close enough' to show that there has not been 'significant' short covering. The last time we had this type of strength in SP rise was Tencent quietly buying. While I am often wrong I do anticipate seeing a 13D from an entity in the next few days.

My favorite candidates: Saudis, Norwegian Wealth Fund, pick'em Chinese firm. My wild cards (probably not ones)...Apple/Berkshire Hathaway.

I think of all of these options, a Chinese source is most likely. Would be appropriately timed with the start of production in Shanghai.

IMO the high share price has been caused by Superchargers in Kazakhstan and Iceland.....
We need another Supercharger in Iceland to get to $420.

Hmm, I'm liking this hypothesis ;)

Speaking of new Superchargers... I don't know if I missed seeing this reported here (I'm still catching up), but *the Trans-Canada electric highway system just went live*. V3 baby! :)

upload_2019-12-21_2-35-3.png

Too bad it's too far north to be useful for Cannonball Run attempts ;) They'll have to wait for a V3 network further south.

Frozen bananas, specifically

We actually grow bananas here in greenhouses :) Not commercially, though.

I've long been tempted to get one of the hardier banana species - something that could at least tolerate a summer outside (most can't) - and hike a few of them to the top of Esja (Reykjavík's "city mountain", a popular hiking destination) along with some soil, and plant them there. They obviously wouldn't survive the winter, or even the fall, but for a few glorious months they'd confuse the utter heck out of tourists, who will then report to their disbelieving friends back home that they climbed a mountain in Iceland and found bananas growing at the top ;)

Last edited:
Weekend OT:

New video by Doug DeMuro ranting about big OEM not treating YouTubers seriously.

Tesla handle YouTubers exactly the opposite, which is why they dominate social media without spending a penny on ads.

Brilliant PR strategy starting from the top(the MEME LORD).

This also leads me to thinking why Doug was bad mouthing CT so badly I suspect he was doing it on purpose...
Was he not invited to the event?:confused::(

Last edited:
We actually grow bananas here in greenhouses :) Not commercially, though.

I've long been tempted to get one of the hardier banana species - something that could at least tolerate a summer outside (most can't) - and hike a few of them to the top of Esja (Reykjavík's "city mountain", a popular hiking destination) along with some soil, and plant them there. They obviously wouldn't survive the winter, or even the fall, but for a few glorious months they'd confuse the utter heck out of tourists, who will then report to their disbelieving friends back home that they climbed a mountain in Iceland and found bananas growing at the top ;)

You could try the paw paw, we call them West Virginia bananas. It survives our winters and the Eastern part of the state with the ski areas has some real winter weather although probably not Icelandic cold.

170911_pawpaw_031_wide-85f2565e06652f872100ee3db6c3f60615f3634a.jpg

Back on topic somewhat, I think the new Canadian v3 SC highway would be great for a Cybertruck Canonball Run in the middle of winter. Pick anti-EV conditions to show that it can be done and throw in an eTron, EQC, iPace for the comedy of it. Nova Scotia (Yarmouth?) to Vancouver.

A Jack London Canonball Run - to build a fire and charge my frozen EV...

Last edited:
Beyond edit: according to that infallible source, Wikipedia, the most common isotope, Tc-99, is a weak beta emitter which radiation is stopped by laboratory glassware.

And with that, we're veering off topic. Gentle, all you weekend warriors.
And Tc99 is also used for cardiac stress testing and can be used to diagnose parathyroid ademonas... And now we are completely off topic...

Mine is from December, 2017. Two years old on Christmas Eve. It was perfect when I got it, and remains great. I'm thinking I should take it in for a two year service. Maybe.

I took it in at one point and said "I heard you've done some things to mellow the ride a bit, and reduce the wind noise." They said yeah, leave it with us and we'll see what we can do to make it better. They replaced many parts of the suspension, and put on a new roof and windshield. Not because anything was broken, but because it could be better. Wow! No charge.
So I did schedule a two year service for my Model 3. When the estimate came back it included the HW3 upgrade! Score! So after January 8 I'm going to be very interested in updates that make FSD real.

My Model S is HW2.5/MCU1 so I don't think they've yet figured out the upgrade path.

That's also fair. And I appreciated the prior post with the number of peaker plants in the US. But we're still a long way away from numbers on how big a market opportunity that represents.

So there's this: Tesla Energy is quietly setting its sights on peaker plants
"A study from GTM Research, for one, estimates that the sales of energy storage for both residential and utility markets in the US would likely hit $541 million this year, before passing $1 billion in 2019, and hitting $4.6 billion in 2023."​

That's opportunity for Tesla, but not bigger than automotive.

I don't think you can determine the size of the market from the study done by GTM Research. The quote from the Tesla article is a figure GTM Research came up with for estimated deployments. They would limit the projection, based not on potential market demand, but on supply (probably of batteries). They are likely the last people you would want to go to in order to estimate how fast a company like Tesla could ramp battery production, how much they would cost, etc, etc, etc.

This type of projection, done by "professional" research companies are often wildly inaccurate. In this case, GTM has a decades-long relationship with big oil/traditional energy companies. They likely don't understand the pace of innovation happening in this space. Idiots in suits is what I've found most consultants and "research" firms to be. Tesla management (and their consultants) likely have a better understanding of this market and how fast it can grow production than a bunch of suits affiliated with traditional energy companies. I believe the demand is almost unlimited relative to production constraints.

I believe that, ultimately, the market dwarfs the number given by GTM Research - makes it look foolish. The real question is how fast can Tesla ramp and do they need to become part of the raw materials supply chain in order to do so. The world is desperate for solutions like this!

What the h3ll did I just watch?

After a very brief tease announcing that TSLA shares have recently been soaring, you learned that the clueless CNBC panelists do not want people to play video games or talk on phones while driving cars, but are pleased that Elon Musk has become less controversial on twitter. :rolleyes:

After a very brief tease announcing that TSLA shares have recently been soaring, you learned that the clueless CNBC panelists do not want people to play video games or talk on phones while driving cars, but are pleased that Elon Musk has become less controversial on twitter. :rolleyes:

They're also completely unable to fathom how games/videos that you can't currently operate while driving might become just a leeeeetle more relevant as autonomy advances.