Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not everyone has access to a plug where they park their car overnight. Some only have one car, a car that must do road trips. And recharge time and availability of charging stalls will be an issue for them.

Various people will switch at various times.

Trying to pretend that there are not a lot of real people with real issues isn't helpful.

On the other hand, homeowners with multiple cars with private garages/parking spaces refusing to make their commuter car BEV are just retarded.

I think the rapid growth of EV and PHEV sales in Norway from 3% to c.57% of the market in only 6 years is pretty good evidence that people quickly get comfortable with recharge time after they are educated, while charging stall infrastructure can be built out rapidly. Norway EV sales could easily reach 70-80% penetration in 2019.

Aside from the EV incentives/tax breaks, is there anything that made the transition in Norway easier than it will be elsewhere?

DyWgL3RWoAEaSSI.jpg

Source:
@m_xalher

Last edited:
What is the fire risk, as it isn't obvious to me? (Maybe if you park over combustibles? But then you would know not to use, just like if you are parked in a closed garage.)

It's about leaving a car with an idling engine unattended, which is illegal in most U.S. states as well. Fire risk, safety risk, carbon monoxide risk.

BS. You don't need to reduce the price now. You can delay that and achieve the same result. Because if they are still production limited, those people will be waiting to buy an EV either way.
They are not production limited at current prices in the US. They can't keep selling 25,000 of $50k cars every month, duh. Remember the plan was to sell a $35k car, not $50k. That is where the huge demand is. Demand exponentially goes up as price comes down.

Instead of directly starting to sell $35k car, they are slowly reducing the price pulling in demand from lower priced buyers. I bet almost all of us 3 owners who wanted the $35k car would have paid more than we wanted to end the end (I wanted to buy the base $35k car - but finally bought the $50k LR).

4m4 minutes ago
$TSLA short interest is $7.74 billion; 24.40 million shares short; 19.43% of Float; stock borrow cost 30 bps fee. #Tesla shares shorted are up 93k in February but down 1.18 million shares, -4.6%, year-to-date. Shorts are up $552 million in mark-to-market profits for the year.

Dy0A9hQXcAEBo8K.jpg

0 replies0 retweets0 likes

Ihor Dusaniwsky on Twitter

Yes.

Norway has a law that requires all cars be emissions free by 2025. In 2025, it will be illegal to drive an emissions vehicle in Norway.

What’s put the spark in Norway’s electric car revolution?

It's a "goal" and it is only for new cars and not for the entire fleet, so I don't see how it could impact consumer's purchasing decisions and access to charging infrastructure in 2018 and 2019.

Obviously better EV incentives help speed up the EV transition, but the argument here is how quickly can consumers get comfortable with EVs and how quickly can people gain access to charging infrastructure.

My argument is Norway suggests these factors are not significant barriers to the EV transition anywhere, the only key factors limiting the EV transition are EV production capacity and EV prices, and EV prices will be rapidly driven down by cost experience curves and in some cases government incentives.

Last edited:
Shorts are screaming on twitter that Model3-s are delivered without AP in EU, it will be activated later. Guys from Belgium and Netherlands can you comment is it really so?
Mine, like most new Tesla, required about an hour of driving time before all the sensors become fully calibrated and functional. I suspect that is it, but it could be something else. Mine took ~80km before it was ready to work.

Mine, like most new Tesla, required about an hour of driving time before all the sensors become fully calibrated and functional. I suspect that is it, but it could be something else. Mine took ~80km before it was ready to work.

No, there were reports of test-drive cars with AP disabled that had multiple hundred km on them already. However there are now reports on Twitter that deliveries will begin tonight: Jan Groenen on Twitter

There is still a possibility that the cars include AP3 hardware but the AP software is not ready yet.

Shorts are screaming on twitter that Model3-s are delivered without AP in EU, it will be activated later. Guys from Belgium and Netherlands can you comment is it really so?

AP is not activated immediately in a new Model 3. That is normal. Maybe that is what they are talking about? This is from the Model 3 Owner's Manual:

"Model 3 must maneuver with a great deal of precision when Autopilot features are being used. Therefore, before some features (for example, Traffic-Aware Cruise Control or Autosteer) can be used for the first time, some cameras must complete a self-calibration process. Calibration typically completes after driving 20-25 miles (32-40 km), but the distance varies depending on road and environmental conditions. Driving on a straight road with highly-visible lane lines allows Model 3 to calibrate quicker. When calibration is complete, the features are available for use. Contact Tesla if your Model 3 has not completed the calibration process after driving 100 miles (160 km)."

My experience is the same. Test drive plus a little bit of explanation get the car sold immediately. It's so much more compelling than any gasoline cars.

I wrote down the advantages of Tesla cars so I don't have to go through them in my mind every time.

Safety, fun to drive, saves on gasoline, great for the environment, less maintenance, premium audio system, autopilot, free SW update, front trunk, large space inside that can hold a mattress, nice user interface, video recording, great handling, games, higher resale value, highest owner satisfaction rate. Am I missing anything?

The biggest is that it changes people’s lives for the better.

Another thing that only an EV can offer is the ability to preheat my car in a closed, cold garage so it is toasty when I get in. Do that in an ICE and you're looking at serious Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Dan
Not to mention in cities like St. Louis they decided years ago the best way to fight stolen cars was to make it illegal to leave a car running without an occupant. So no legal preheating an ICE in St. Louis without the risk of a ticket. No problem with an BEV.