Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nonsense, feature complete FSD will allow full recognition of the received revenue, which is what improves margins and financials.

FSD option enables very popular convenience and driver assistance features already.

I don't think delivering "Feature Complete FSD" will cause Tesla to fully recognize all FSD revenue. They will withhold some of it for further improvements and regulatory approval. I would be very surprised if they fully recognized all FSD at that point.

Musk had some interesting things to say about their FSD program. When an analyst stated he thought FSD was so important that Tesla might want to acquire another company in the field, Musk wanted to slap the guy. He said something like "OK, sure, tell us who we should acquire". When the analyst didn't have an answer, Musk flatly stated something to the effect that they were not aware of anyone out there that was capable of accelerating their program.

Musk implied the FSD team had been working on the foundational base of their FSD platform, making improvements that might not be immediately apparent to users right away but that would further the development. He thought this all might come together in a few more months in the form of feature-complete FSD (that is not ready for regulatory approval). I interpreted that to mean by the end of summer/early fall. There is no doubt this is a bigger challenge than most of the AI and Autonomy experts originally predicted. It appears Musk's team is restructuring its foundation to make further development more productive.

Hilarious how Elon's pretty much openly saying if you want to know the specs/numbers of our next-gen batteries and battery processes...…..follow the retail investors.

Seems like the only real negative to come out of this earnings and conf call is that there is a bit of a doubt about Q1 profitability. But now that Tesla is lowballing estimates so much, who know's if they're actually sandbagging that guidance as well.

Yeah, I think Elon likes the new sandbagging persona. It's actually got pretty easy... no one would believe the whole truth anyway, ha ha

Q: Maxwell plans?

Elon: Will talk about this in April. Will blow people's minds. Actually it blows my mind. Retail investors have put together most of the puzzle pieces. The questioner ended by saying he needs to read the blogs more. Too funny.

This is key, what we heard about their ability to ramp cell, module and pack production as well as new technology with 400mi range and I predict even more than that will be from what it sounds next level and distance Tesla from all other by a big margin.

He did sell the battery & drive train day a few times and everybody who did dig into that matter knows its the key to substantial growth as well as true dominance in the industry. Right now Tesla is by a factor 2 more advanced than Porsche but imagine if its 3 or more.

Battery & drive train day as well as the technology he pointed to end of this year may be a major game changer.

At that point in time it will be very hard for other automakers to sell BEVs to informed consumers.

1-21-gigawatts-great-scott.png

Tommorow then could be the day that a 121 billion valuation happens (SP 671 I think) :)

Hilarious how Elon's pretty much openly saying if you want to know the specs/numbers of our next-gen batteries and battery processes...…..follow the retail investors.

Seems like the only real negative to come out of this earnings and conf call is that there is a bit of a doubt about Q1 profitability. But now that Tesla is lowballing estimates so much, who know's if they're actually sandbagging that guidance as well.

It is far better to setup Q1 with moderate expectations, the chance of a surprise on the downside is then very low and a surprise on the upside is more likely...

The big difference I see compared to my model are
- Higher SGA +80M
- Subsidiary loss of $70M
- Non-Lease Auto margin higher 2% compared to Q3 !!
Resulting in 60M higher revenue but $110M lesser profit.

View attachment 505669
This is wrong. I was looking at Q4 '18. Here is the corrected one.

The big difference I see compared to my model are
- Higher SGA +110M. A lot of this is stock based comp (+65M)
- Subsidiary loss of $27M
- Non-Lease Auto margin higher 0.7% compared to Q3.
- S/X ASP improved by $10k compared to Q3 to $102k, assuming $50k Model 3 ASP
Resulting in 220M higher revenue but $145M lesser profit.

teslaq4avg.png

These analysts are just vultures.

There should be an immediate ban on all analysts in companies connected with other financial services.
They are getting shut out and have histories of horrible predictions. Not a good look.

I swear to God those triple-niners at ARK are the only ones I’m going to listen to. I hope Tasha and Cathie are well-compensated for their work.