Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the next 24 hours of trading will likely be relatively flat, a battle between market makers, profit takers, and the rest. but after a day or two of digestion, a strong upward trend will be impossible to suppress. The earnings will result in a domino effect of upgrades and recommendations. Just look at the aftermath of Q3 for a model.

Vehicle in garage ignites house fire in Northwest Austin

And it wasn’t even a Tesla (I know that area and there are none on that road).

Ha! You don't need local knowledge to know it wasn't a Tesla.

Because if a Tesla sparked a garage fire you can bet your retirement account that the title of the story would say "Tesla causes garage fire" but this story doesn't mention the make and model of the responsible car. :rolleyes:

They're basically saying "we admit we were wrong. We underestimated Tesla. But the stock is overvalued."

So...

"Sorry, I was wrong, but I was not wrong."

LOL. They STILL aren't getting it.
My take on those fools is slightly different. I think they are saying

"We have been wrong up until now, but now we are right and the stock is over-valued."

Eventually they will be right, if only for a time

Keep in mind there's a huge amount of calls expiring this Friday at both $640 and $650 strike prices, to the tune of 5,500 contracts and 8,250 contracts respectively. Expect MMs and Hedge Funds to put up a fight around these prices.

Overall, volume is enormous and action looks pretty good to me so far. Over 5M shares traded already worth $3.5B. TSLA is the highest volume stock right now in $ terms.

The IV crush destroyed my 21 Feb $800 calls. I'm only up marginally on them now, so I think I'll hold on to them for a bit to see where this goes.

The right comparison is Tesla fleet size vs. Supercharger Network total charging speed.

V3 is happening too, which increases the throughput of each stall massively.

Although the opening bell has just rung, I will interject that on supercharge.info, the 4 most recent entries are currently for v3 superchargers.

Last edited:
Right on time this morning: a Charley Grant hit piece in WSJ titled:
Tesla Stock Reaches Ludicrous Speed
Bulls should spare a thought for the income statement

Bears
getting desperate......
I'm actually going to write an email to the WSJ about him. He posted on twitter the other day "Great time to open a luxury car factory in China." I don't think a WSJ journalist should be making jokes about people dying just because it might hurt a company he doesn't like. It was a respected paper at one point after all.

Let's just note that there are ZERO professional working scientists who have reviewed the Goodenough paper from 2018 and been able to demonstrate that the REDOX reaction produces the claimed voltage. No lab has reproduced the results. Science?

I can direct you to one published review from a working scientist. They give deferrence to Goodenough because of his past contributions, but you should be aware that he is NOT the lead researcher for that paper. It is not primarily his work, but used for PR.

I've watched all Gali's videos. They are full of errors, bad assumptions, and unsupported claims. Did you watch Gali's first video on Maxwell when they became a hot topic? Where he was telling us all how Supercapacitors are the future of EVs? He's like a 1st yr sci student / home hobbist at best, and his videos are designed to harvest 'views' revenue on Youtube, not to communicate science. You should NOT be getting ideas from him. Read som ACTUAL RESEARCH instead.

Let's take this off-line. Just too much wrong with his info to discuss any further here

Of course Gali's videos are speculative - he continually says as such on his battery vids, and he doesn't purport to be a battery scientist. His intentions are not to harvest views - he is just someone who is very passionate about Tesla/EVs. And the gist of his videos are all about the 1 million mile battery and the DBE stuff... its nothing that is really controversial considering Elon himself has already talked about it in bits and pieces, but Gali fills in some of the connections between the groups of researchers and ties them to Tesla. I found this interesting and worth watching. It's interesting all the details on how Maxwell has a path to better energy density. As for the limitations of Goodenough's research, Gali talks about how other researchers have highlighted limitations... you are mischaracterising his videos if you think Gali is doing anything other than just presenting what his googling showed. Personally, there was a lot of good information in there for me, and I'll forgive some over-exuberance over supercapacitors in some previous videos when he puts out these last series on batteries.

When Elon was talking about some of the retail investors putting together what will be unveiled at battery day he was talking about Gali and the 1 million mile battery imo.

Also, if you look at the main TMC predictors and compare Gali's numbers he was closer:

Adding Factset numbers …. (from TeslaDaily)

View attachment 505340

Elon said:

Well, I mean, to be precise, I said I was hoping would be feature complete with both FSD by the end of last year. We got pretty close, it's looking like we might be feature complete in a few months. The feature complete just means like it has some chance of going from your home to work let's say with no interventions. So, that's -- it does mean the features are working well, but it means it has above zero chance. So I think that's looking like maybe it's going to be couple of months for now. And what isn't obvious regarding Autopilot and full self-driving is just how much work has been going into improving the foundational elements of autonomy. The -- like the core autopilot in Tesla or Autopilot software and AI team is just is I think very, very strong in making great progress. And we're really only getting to take full advantage of the Autopilot hardware and the FSD hardware.

So, I think it's -- the apparent progress as seen by consumer as well seems to be extremely rapid, but actually what's really going on my head it seems like I said having the foundational software be very strong and with really strong foundation. And then really fundamental thing is moving to video training. So in terms of labeling, labeling with video in all eight cameras simultaneously. This is a really, I mean in terms of labeling efficiency arguably like a three order of magnitude improvement in labeling efficiency. For those who know about this it's extremely fundamental, so that's really great progress on that.

Seems to me they are about to move to video training or have just begun doing so, and that video labelling could - if succesful - be three orders of magnitute more efficient.

I don't think Elon is saying that point of efficiency has already been reached. (Which you imply, if I read your post correctly)

(His last sentence "really great progress on that" is kinda vague, I'm being conservative and saying it's about FSD/Autopilot software foundation as a whole, not the video labelling in itself.)

I think that sentence I underlined should have been: "So, that's -- it doesn't mean the features are working well, but it means it has above zero chance."

11.968 Million shares of TSLA traded in the 1st 10 min of the main session.

All-time single day record volume for TSLA is 35M shares.

Can we beat that in the 1st hour today?

Cheers!
?

I see 5.10M shares traded in the first 15minutes.

I'm looking at Yahoo Finance volume. What's your source? (I'd like to be wrong, but I woudn't want to learn wrong facts)

EDIT: @FrankSG also has noted this. Don't trust your source @Artful Dodger (and please let us know where those numbers come from, so we know what source to avoid).

I do wonder if Starlink can be back-haul for 5G towers and Supercharger WifFi ..

They run fibre to a lot of mobile towers, with StarLink you can possibly save that step.

Yes. But then there is cost. Starlink, like all satellite services WILL have bandwidth constraints, and thus probably either data caps or expensive plans. It isn’t obvious that Starlink 5G backhaul, which would use a lot of continuous bandwidth, would be cheaper than fiber.

Who has gone missing from TSLAQ?

Last tweet from the prolific (and smartish) Polixenes (@Polixenes13) | Twitter was December 12:

View attachment 490432

Maybe he just went fishing?

Or who else notable from TSLAQ has gone missing?

@polixenes made a brief appearance after being down while "taking care of business and catching my breath"

but not really heard from again. I'm guessing he is a wiped out short, and I have to say, it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

upload_2020-1-30_9-44-59.png

typical tweet:

upload_2020-1-30_10-2-44.png