Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought hard about selling some above $900 and I also thought hard about selling during yesterday's hard drop.

I'm accumulating cash and buying any 10% dip once this volume craziness settles back down.
I'm a fundamentals kind of guy --- or at least I like to think of myself that way. Months ago I modeled Tesla gross profit from growth as being worth a share price of ~ $800 in two years. Let's just say my wife was amused. Fast forward to these last couple of days, and if I I wish to be consistent with myself I conclude that SP > $800 is over-valued today. Since I was waaay overweight in TSLA it was an easy decision to take advantage of this week to rebalance my portfolio.

Last edited:
No interest in TSLA? It would seem any person with a short position of any size, their interest is in seeing the company fail.
Company failure and SP drop should not be viewed as synonymous except in a perfect information environment.

E.g., I would not knowingly take investment action that harms Tesla, but I am not above taking advantage of someone else's ill advised investment choices.

Relentless innovation. If Tesla struggles to keep the Model 3 up with the Y. How will the competition catch up?
I understand the high level statements. I would like to hear objective responses such as what have been done to Model Y design to achieve higher efficiency than M3. Remember, MY and M3 are on the same platform. And MY is taller and bigger. If everything else all equal, MY should get lower efficiency.

Model Y is more efficient than Model 3? How do they achieve that?
old M3 EPA? my P3- range is up about 3% on the last update and local tech said there is potentially more.(and that the Y is super siiick ....after getting back from training the week before!!!!)

..also Everyone can thank me if the stock goes up : > decided to 'play' with 25 shares earlier this morning

Last edited:
I understand the high level statements. I would like to hear objective responses such as what have been done to Model Y design to achieve higher efficiency than M3. Remember, MY and M3 are on the same platform. And MY is taller and bigger. If everything else all equal, MY should get lower efficiency.
The latest battery chemistry, the latest motor, heat pump, removing miles of wiring with the backplane, maybe even the casting in four pieces that was talked about. Just because it's the same platform doesn't imply that it's constructed exactly the same way.

Just like the "millionaire" that retires at age 50 with a million dollars and quickly realizes it wasn't nearly enough, Musk needs a lot more money to actually colonize Mars in a sustainable fashion. Mars is extremely inhospitable. The difference is, even the ever-optimistic Elon knows his chances of making a worthwhile, self-sustaining colony are much better with many times more money.
Reminds me of an old fisherman who got a new accountant. The accountant analyzed is business and reported back a dozen different ways the fisherman could cut costs and catch more fish. The fisherman said, "That's nice, but seems like a lot of fuss."
"Well," said the accountant, "with all the extra money you make, you could retire."
"I see," said the fisherman.
"Yeah, you could take it easy and do whatever you like. What would you like to do?"
"Hmm, I suppose I'd like more time to go fishing."

The latest battery chemistry, the latest motor, heat pump, removing miles of wiring with the backplane, maybe even the casting in four pieces that was talked about. Just because it's the same platform doesn't imply that it's constructed exactly the same way.

From memory Model Y also has a very low drag coefficient...

What might be interesting is the weight of a Model Y compared to a Model 3, do we know that?

I would like to hear objective responses such as what have been done to Model Y design to achieve higher efficiency than M3.
Model Y matches the Model 3 on the highway and beats it in the city.
My WAG for the city is improved regen.

The highway match is the more impressive result that I cannot even guess at.