Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After-action Report: Wed Feb 19, 2020: (Full-Day's Trading)

VWAP: $921.71
Volume: 25,443,100
Traded:
$23,451,229,474.58 ($23.45B)

Closing SP / VWAP: 99.52%
(TSLA closed BELOW today's Avg SP)​

Comment: "Overnight rally extended AM; bursts of short selling PM."

TSLA - SUMMARY TABLE – 2020-02-19.png

New Intraday Records:

Highest Open: $923.50
Highest Low: $901.02
Highest Close: $917.42

2nd Highest High SP: $944.78
Day Rank by Volume: 5th
Day Rank by Sales*: 18th
* (Shares x Close SP)

Oh, OK. I guess I'll stick with lots of 100 then. :). But it used to be that when I had fractional shares I had to call them to sell.

The only way I've been able to fractional shares is when I sell completely out of a stock. In that case (Vanguard for sure, Fidelity maybe, IIRC) I just list the full share amount and the brokerage automatically also sells the fractional piece. I haven't called a brokerage in over a decade. I thought phones were only used for ordering things like Model 3 SRs.

Now, this is different than selling in lots smaller than 100 shares. That's supported by every online brokerage I know of.

Tesla Ups Ante on Model Y Range, Underscoring Its EV Lead
Tesla’s range estimates are based on using 100 percent of the energy in the battery pack, while most other automakers use estimates based on around 90 percent of the pack’s energy, he says. Charging batteries to less than 100 percent makes them last longer.

Tesla allows its owners to go down to zero through a function called Extended Range Mode, but it warns that using the function will cause battery degradation.
Is the above statement true? Does Tesla really let you charge to 100% of your battery capacity and the stated range is based on that? Really? I don't think so

My posts never said anything against ARK's TSLA valuation projections. They were against ARK's 37M projection for global EV sales in 2024 and how it appears they arrived at it. I.e. assuming all non Tesla manufacturers could achieve 79% CAGR with no details about how this might be possible over five years. The mystery of how ARK's Tesla models seem very good yet they can come up with what I'd argue is an outlandish prediction for global EV sales, remains a mystery. It is just that even very smart people occasionally lay an egg.
I'd guess they were led astray by all the analysts' comments about how the legacy car makers could produce EVs if they wanted to. Of course, the legacy companies all said they could do so (and have been saying that for as long as Tesla has been in business). It's only recently that it's been proven that isn't the case to almost everyone's satisfaction--not just TMC members. Another thing that could have happened is that if ARK realized saying the legacy carmakers couldn't do it would result in no one believing them and would put their Tesla analysis as fanboy fantasy, so they came up with something that sounded reasonable to investors. Of course, they could have just laid an egg as you say, but I'd tend to believe it was something else. It's also possible that the legacy car manufacturers' data was from a few years ago and they just didn't bother to reanalyze (assumption here is that ARK analysts are time constrained just like anyone else).

Is the above statement true? Does Tesla really let you charge to 100% of your battery capacity and the stated range is based on that? Really? I don't think so
As far as I know, you can charge to 100%, but you can't go down to zero. As long as you don't leave it at 100%, charging to 100% does very little in terms of degradation. Of course, the larger the battery, the less need there is to go to 100%.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
You can withdraw Roth contributions penalty free at any time.
You are correct, but it would be easy to misunderstand.
@lafrisbee wants to pay for his Cybertruck out of his Roth account. Yes, he can withdraw his contributions any time, but there are many restrictions on withdrawing profits from the Roth account. Like paying income tax plus a 10% penalty except for the exceptions.

Last edited:
When I click on TSLA in my Apple Stocks app (with the Apple News feed), I see Cramer is telling me to sell. I also see Virgin Galactic being pushed (um, that’s not Tesla related. :confused:).

So, I guess I’m supposed to sell my golden tickets in what will probably be the most successful company on earth and buy some, what?, rocket plane company hyped up by a promoter who thinks kite-boarding with his harem is a good look? o_O

Seriously?!? Is this stuff worth the time it takes to write? Isn’t it transparent to everyone: "Please, please, please sell us your TSLA so we don’t go bankrupt and buy SPCE so we can then pull the rug out from under you and try to recoup some of our massive losses from shorting TSLA"?

I mean, if I was willing to short, I’d consider this an engraved invitation to short SPCE when the wild cheering on its behalf reached a crescendo.

Edit: This is meant to be humorous and call attention to what looks like a pretty obvious attempt to lead Tesla shareholders down the garden path. I am not encouraging anyone to short anything, claim no knowledge of SPCE, and have nothing against Branson.

Also and obviously, there will be some other company being touted as the new darling if SPCE doesn’t do the trick. I’ll be holding on tight to my tiny bit of ownership of Tesla, yes, even when it gets bouncy.

Last edited:
Since it’s AH, how comfortable are people with submitting trades on their phones? I see lots of screenshots of apps, but can’t quite bring myself to submit thousands of dollars of trades on my phone over a WiFi connection.

Have almost a million dollars in Robinhood thanks to Tesla and AMD. So lets just say I'm pretty comfortable like an autist from Wallstreetbets.

First, all EVs have a bottom reserve so that it won't let you discharge to truly 0. That destroys the battery, so all EVs show 0% when the pack has something like a few percent left. But that's irrelevant since no EV lets you get access to that for pack safety reasons. So on the old 85 kWh pack, the true usable energy was more like 81 kWh. Tesla now doesn't even tell you the pack size since usable energy is dependent on a bunch of factors (including how cold it is - I would wager that Tesla protects the pack when it is truly cold and doesn't let it discharge as much as normal, but I don't know this).

For 100%, Tesla does indeed let you charge to true 100%. They trust that owners know to not do this routinely and only do it for a long upcoming trip. Other manufacturers may do it differently. EVs with small batteries tend to reserve an upper end since owners will routinely charge to 100%. I don't know how Taycan does it.

All this is rapidly becoming moot. The manufacturers do all sorts of things to protect battery longevity, and it differs from pack to pack since battery chemistry could change (certainly between manufacturers it is different, and even with Tesla, it is very likely that the old 85 kWh Model S cells are different from the newer Model 3 cells in terms of chemistry).

What really matters is real world range. Not EPA range - that has its issues too, as Porsche is finding out.

Since it’s AH, how comfortable are people with submitting trades on their phones? I see lots of screenshots of apps, but can’t quite bring myself to submit thousands of dollars of trades on my phone over a WiFi connection.

Do you have dodgy WiFi? If your WiFi signal is good and the underlying Internet connection is good, it isn't any worse than relying on a wired Ethernet connection. WiFi is very stable, or rather, it should be very stable. If it isn't in your house, then I'd suggest upgrading your WiFi.

I more or less exclusively use the Schwab mobile app. I log onto the desktop website very rarely now because I do the majority of my trading away from home.

• Helpful
Reactions: immunogold
You are correct, but it would be easy to misunderstand.
@lafrisbee wants to pay for his Cybertruck out of his Roth account. Yes, he can withdraw his contributions any time, but there are many restrictions on withdrawing profits from the Roth account. Like paying income tax plus a 10% penalty except for the exceptions.

you have to wait 5 years to get it out for free

Being direct > Belgium > Beer, waffles > Obesity o_O

It's astonishing how quickly discussions can derail in this thread. Stubborn bunch. Several posts about obesity were removed and so will any more on the four subjects above.
Burp!

Ah reserve the right to repeat this comment after Tesla swallows up GM, Ford, BMW, Daimler, VW, Toyota and the other has been auto makers.

• Funny
  • Love
Reactions: madodel and Yonki