Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I wanted to see how that T-shirt would go with the Tesla Short shorts I ordered for my wife:
tesla short shorts.jpg

Don’t think. Do. If you can make it work, then don’t hesitate. You won’t stay retired. Something will grab your heart.

Let me be the first to congratulate you!!
I thought about retiring....gonna turn 47 next month....but then i realized i had a wife, 2 kids in private school, mortgage, and teslas to pay for :p:p:p:p....so imma have to postpone it until tesla reaches $10K/share.

I'm baffled...it is a bit too much...what will friends and family say when I just stop working...don't know how to handle this to be honest...

That’s what you’re worried about?! :confused:o_O:eek:

Here are some options:

Tell them the truth
Tell them to mind their own business
Lie — this one allows for so many possibilities, I’d likely make up a different story for each person because more fun that way
Don’t tell them and pretend to go to work every day but instead go bowling
Buy an island (but not my island) and just disappear forever

I really try hard not to brag when things go well, nor complain when they do not.

Today breaks my convention. Today I made gains of 42% in my total invested capital. It is not profit because I am changing not an iota in my portfolio. Seeing ATH for each fo my holdings makes me happy.
For sure volatility will continue, but this feels very very good for all of us who have been long recently, doesn't it?

Today's run-up smells to me like:
• Expectation that Tesla can work the numbers (GHG credits, FSD recognition, etc.) to make Q2 have a GAAP profit.
• Expectation that such profit means almost certain S&P 500 inclusion.
• Expectation that such inclusion means an additional run-up in price.
• Expectation that such run-up in price means margin calls.
• Knowledge that such margin calls mean a short squeeze.

Certainly, that's a part of it. But I think it's a small part. I'm not a fan of trying to over-analyze market moves because, in my experience, that's a trap and a dead end. These things are more complicated than our brain evolved to deal with. Yet it's the brains natural desire to try to explain these things.

Why do I say the things you list are only a small part of what is going on here? Because those things are barely relevant, in and of themselves. However, they do help illuminate the fact that the investing public has been deceived. People were told Tesla was a zero, the competition was just around the corner, the more cars Tesla makes, the more money they lose, they are only a going concern thanks to massive government incentives that they desperately need, Tesla doesn't have anything special or unique, Elon Musk is a crazy self-centered person who only wants attention, he doesn't know how to run a company, Tesla is only a car company....wait, that last one is important. You mean Tesla is really NOT only a car company???

If I was lied to about all of those other things, maybe it really is true that Elon Musk knows what he's doing and it's not just a car company! Maybe those other people were right! Maybe Cathie Wood knows what she's talking about.

Never under-estimate how long it takes investors, in the aggregate, to catch on to the truth, no matter how simple and obvious that truth may seem to you. This isn't about S&P 500 inclusion anymore than stock trading is about investing.

Now we own a stock that everyone wants a piece of for future growth and security in the new age we are entering. It will go up and down with the market and with instantaneous supply/demand considerations but it will never go back to where it was just a few short months ago. As far as upside? In the short-term I continue to believe Tesla will decouple from reality and reach dizzying new highs. Along the way it will have sharp drops. When those will happen, or how deep they will be, no one knows but it's a good bet there will be a drop of significance before Q2 earnings are announced. But depending upon how TSLA performs through this week and into next week, the drop may or may not take us lower than we are now. And the old adage "Time in the market beats timing the market" really is true! Ignore it at your own peril!

I'm gonna kick back and watch this all unfold and not worry about a hundred dollars here or there.

FYI, you don’t need to police the thread. ;)

And — only two?! Dude, where’s your conviction? I was up a whole fleet of Jeeps before pre-market was even over. :cool:

Next time people suggest there’s a demand problem, buy shares. Is advice. ;)
I know it's annoying and I apologise. Just find it hard to ignore as I get older and Tesla-wealthier.

My tentative plan is to move my 2022 idea forward to today. Gonna stop by the two EV conversion companies I'm aware of near Philly and start pricing out a ground-up Wrangler TJ/EV build off a fresh frame, tub and crashed Tesla.

My one compromise will be to give up the 4WD dream and just drop in a Model S/X rear drivetrain. Anyone know if I absolutely have to have liquid coolant for individual Tesla pack modules? Can I just drain and break down a Model X pack, then use the dozen or so battery modules as individual packs mounted in various locations in my new Jeep?

Perhaps I'll go with short-shortz red as an homage to Elon.

It's important for your investment performance going forward to not think of it as "making" money. To do that you would have to sell which is probably a very bad idea (not advice).

That said, today my brokerage account increased by over 7 times the largest annual earned income I've ever achieved!

Amazing you only ever made $5,000 in a year ;)

Reactions: Nocturnal
This would actually be really useful. I honestly have no idea how paying Estimated Taxes works and the deadline for the first tranche is July 15th. I'm trying to hold as long as I can before I sell and transfer money to the IRS...

Do you work a day job and have withholdings deducted from your paychecks? If so, look into safe harbor rules for the IRS and your state taxes with respect to estimated tax payments and windfalls. (For example, if memory serves correctly in California you have safe harbor from quarterly estimated tax payments if you make below a certain amount per year and your withholdings are at least 100% of the prior year's withholdings. I believe IRS rules are similar.)

You may want to consult a tax advisor.