Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good ole Elon..he is definitely on a 'different' mission:

Musk teases Tesla shortsellers with 'Short Shorts' (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha

Elon Musk has already sent pairs of short shorts to David Einhorn, who has a big short position on Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA), and announced a similar shipment destined for the SEC, but the latest product offering comes as Tesla's stock tripled this year to $1,208/share.

Thst wasn't Elon.
Chubbies Sends Short Shorts To Tesla Shorter
Reporters are lacking in fact checking.

Instead, despite being one of Tesla's earlier customers (Model S 1653) and a die-hard long, I'm still a few hundred grand short of $1M. I really feel left out when some of you say you only bought a year ago and have now pulled in a couple million! Haha don't I get some sort of consolation prize for being an uber-long? :)

Everyone has to start somewhere. I had to leverage some early wins into bigger wins, into bigger wins and so forth. One of the keys is not to pick the wrong company at any of those stages.

Glass half-empty:
I could have cashed out when we hit $420.

Glass completely empty:
I could have been a TSLA short.

Glass completely empty and broken:
I could be a highly public TSLA short with public pictures of me brushing my teeth on the toilet with a laptop.

That's absolutely hilarious! :D Yes, you have it pretty good!

I thought I was in awe with some of the footages from SpaceX, like boosters landing on barges etc. But I must say the price TSLA the last couple of weeks also jaw dropping.

A couple of pages ago I said I was holding out for buying more TSLA, hoping that macros would pull TSLA down later in the year, hopefully in $500 - $600 territory so I could buy more. Now I need to rethink my thesis as I don't see them falling that much anymore. I mean even a huge 27% drop would land TSLA only at $1000. A price we would all have been celebrating three weeks ago.
I don't know what to do anymore. I am in shock.

That’s what you’re worried about?! :confused:o_O:eek:

Here are some options:

Tell them the truth
Tell them to mind their own business
Lie — this one allows for so many possibilities, I’d likely make up a different story for each person because more fun that way
Don’t tell them and pretend to go to work every day but instead go bowling
Buy an island (but not my island) and just disappear forever
I like the last option best....or say you joined the FBI and everything here on out is classified.

Reactions: Krugerrand
I caught one snapshot earlier ^^

1337.JPG

This is insane. Today's gains absolutely dwarf my entire account value from a year ago by more than 10X. Unreal, I thought I missed the boat with a botched trade last Q2.

Also:
hi.JPG

Last edited:
Good news. Look into SEPP:
Substantially Equal Periodic Payment (SEPP)

That stands for Substantially Equal Periodic Payments, and is a mechanism for getting money out of your IRA each year before 59 1/2. You'll still owe income tax, but not penalties.

Personally I wouldn't set something up myself without having a financial advisor involved. Fortunately, at least with Fidelity, if you have enough money with them, then they assign somebody to directly help with stuff like this.

I'm in a similar position as you (though I wish I was still 34), and am thinking I need to get something like this started this year (because I want to stop working for a paycheck this year), and we can't make it to 60 without something like this.

Thanks and there is my reading for the night! I'm still a long ways off, but the dream is alive!

Reactions: adiggs
Yeah, I think we need a thread on tax strategy. I’ve got silly TSLA gains in my non-retirement account now. Seems likely that a 2021 regime change will bring an increased Cap Gains tax rate.

I've decided to pull an Elon: just borrow against my shares and never sell any - and never pay taxes. This plan also screws the shorts which is a nice bonus.

If your real job is not fun change your real job. It is possible to have only jobs that make you happy to have them. I have been very lucky in that respect.

Yeah I'm 39 and a data scientist, which means I just sit in front of my computer and code, run simulations, and look at TMC. I've always pushed the work/life balance toward life, I exercise alot, get outside, see my young kids a lot (especially now), like even when going to the office would only go 7 hrs a day. And get paid well. If I retired, what would I do differently? I'd still be spending a bunch of time on the computer I bet!

But the increasing digits on our accounts means the confidence of a comfortable life. Take vacations whenever we want, buy whatever we need, say no to work whenever I want to. Need to take a 20% paycut to find an easier, interesting job? Sure who cares!

Basically this allows me to keep getting cash flow while picking only work that I enjoy - and not too much of it - so I can spend enough time on whatever else I want to while still pouring in some money into investments.

Thank you Tesla!

I've decided to pull an Elon: just borrow against my shares and never sell any - and never pay taxes. This plan also screws the shorts which is a nice bonus.
How does one do this exactly? Helps you're in Canada too. RBC told me they wont do equity lending, feel free to PM for the sanity of the thread

Bought my first shares in 2011 at $21 and I’ve been reading this forum since 2012 when it was just a single thread.

There were some lean years there for the stock - and this forum has also had its ups and downs. But I never could have had the confidence to hold and accumulate all these years without reading all of you on this forum.

The old timers know that we lost more than a few good bulls along the way. Congrats to everyone still long.

S&P fund managers may scream for some kind of manipulation because they are running into a freight train of bag holding thanks to low float and high amount of shorted shares whenever this inclusion gets announced.

I don't think they will really give a rat's ass. Their job is just to match the index. It is no skin off their nose if the stock price goes up or down before, or after, they buy in.

Last edited: