Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the ever-elusive 'Stairway to Heaven' pattern finally forming?

upload_2020-7-7_8-39-11.png

Agree with your post...I would add that the Cap Raise was important to the extent that it took away a base argument of the shorts that TSLA would run out of cash. Plus, that well-timed raise made the Covid crisis much less risky for investors and has contributed to the significant run we have just seen.

Did it, though? Take away that base argument? Because I’m pretty sure they flung around the ‘not enough cash to survive COVID’ argument many, many times.

Reactions: Nocturnal
I don't have a strong opinion on that except to say the action (volume and volatility) doesn't send any obvious messages to me other than normal volatility and price discovery of a stock like Tesla. There is a huge range of perspectives out there on how much is Tesla is worth going forward but many of them come from a position of ignorance. So it's not surprising the price bounces around a lot and I'm completely comfortable with $100 or $200 dollar price swings.

For what it's worth, I think the average TSLA prospects as put forth by this forum puts the financial industry's analysis of Tesla's future to shame. If anything, I think this board might be too conservative when it comes to projecting Tesla's likely achievements over the next several years (and not by a small amount). This forum (myself included) seems too focused on the auto side of Tesla's business. I get that it's difficult to project energy and solar with so little to go on at this stage but it's a bet on Musk doing what he said he would do. I think you have to throw in some value for that even though it's not very well defined.

As to manipulation, I'm not too worried about that. All stocks have some manipulation around the edges and yet, people can still buy or sell the stock if they they think it's under/over valued. In the end it doesn't matter much to a long-term investor. I would be more incensed if I were an active trader because it gives the "boys in the club" at an advantage. Wherever there is money at stake, people will try to scalp it.
I take what you have posted to heart. Not because of just the source, but on some uncertain levels concerning energy I have thought WTF is really going on here. I haven't seen how energy is bought or sold or created really. All I know about the energy business is that I pay whatever they tell me I owe. After that it looks like I don't know what.
But if you say elon thinks better than you then he thinks better than me, so the intelligent thing for me to do is not concern myself with it. I'll just keep thinking of TSLA in terms of cars.
(I actually see the energy side as a money pit. THAT is how little I understand)

Bear are arguing from disbelief now. It's the only argument they have left. Profitability is coming, and that right soon.

"Tesla's future comes down to profitability, says Wedbush's Dan Ives"

Cheers!

Yet, still the conversation remains centered in automotive. The implications of battery day are far greater. The aggregate total of electric vehicles, autonomous driving, and solar power wed to energy storage, will magnify disruption across the automotive, utility, and energy sectors.

Ark investing, employs analysts steeped in their individual disciplines. If I were young, I would specialize in how the entire Tesla product line dovetails together. Tesla’s impact will be exponentially greater than the sum total of its individual parts.

And if you are young, this is indeed, advice.

Last edited:
Do you have another stop loss set now?

Just an update to your question, I did set a trailing stop loss at the last minute because I couldn't monitor stock constantly for the day, so did it as insurance to protect gains, and it got triggered earlier this morning at $1400 (2% drop from high of the day). I see that today isn't really going as planned to continue steam rolling shorts with impressive skyrocketing share prices, TSLA is struggling in direction, wavering about. I'll have to buy back in at some point. I'm hoping for some discount once jumping back in, but during this changing time, any discount would do fine.

I strongly recommend against stop losses unless your particular situation has unique requirements and demands it. They are a recipe for having your shares stolen on the cheap!

Thanks for the recommendation. I do have a unique situation, where if it gets sold, I'm ok with it because I have some bills to pay. I'll play catch up if I have to.

Reactions: Lessmog
Seeing seven figures in my account is so surreal that I've taken screenshots of it as it first breached the million dollar mark and at various points along the climb toward what I hope and believe will soon be "multi" status. It's all on paper, so I really don't feel any different.

On paper :D. It's odd but I keep seeing the number across my accounts and it doesn't register as real. I suppose that's a good thing.

Seeing seven figures in my account is so surreal that I've taken screenshots of it as it first breached the million dollar mark and at various points along the climb toward what I hope and believe will soon be "multi" status. It's all on paper, so I really don't feel any different.

Seven figures is indeed sweet. But eight figures.... that's my milestone.

Tesla (TSLA) gets $2,070 bullish price target after Monday rally

Tesla has officially received a bullish $2,070 valuation estimate from Morgan Stanley after the automaker’s stock rose 13.48%, or $162.92, on July 6.

Morgan Stanley analysts called the Monday rally “extraordinary” in a letter to investors. The financial firm’s previous price target for TSLA stock was $1,200.

To be clear, Jonas' price target is $740. The $2,070 figure is the high-end-possible bull case, which assumes underlying deliveries ramps to a level of 6,000,000 units by 2030.

And, despite Jonas noting the obvious - Tesla can show a GAAP profit for Q2 and S&P 500 inclusion is "likely," he doesn't seem to realize what that has/will do to the stock price.

I take what you have posted to heart. Not because of just the source, but on some uncertain levels concerning energy I have thought WTF is really going on here. I haven't seen how energy is bought or sold or created really. All I know about the energy business is that I pay whatever they tell me I owe. After that it looks like I don't know what.
But if you say elon thinks better than you then he thinks better than me, so the intelligent thing for me to do is not concern myself with it. I'll just keep thinking of TSLA in terms of cars.
(I actually see the energy side as a money pit. THAT is how little I understand)
The reveal will be on battery day. Where you looking at just solar panels? Nothing new there except revenue producing rooftops and California 2020 laws that mandate solar on all new homes.

As someone has in their tagline here, "It's the batteries stupid." And coupled with the fact that all these cars can also produce A/C from the batter (look up inverter is bidirectional) those dots are connecting and amplifying the case for huge profits.

Even if my position is much smaller than others here, it's funny how I have made the same mistakes as many, just on a smaller scale.
I tried to time the market a couple times, and I even partially succeeded, but I forgot that you have to time the market *twice*: when you sell and when you rebuy. Greed is a b*tch and even if you sell well and stocks drops afterwards, you need to rebuy well. I failed at that.
It's a lesson that cost me a couple shares, nothing to desperately regret,
I'm almost happy to have learned my lesson so cheaply.
Buy and hold is a great strategy, if like me you really don't know what you're doing.
(re victory laps: I started a mortgage 3 years ago for my first home: I could close it today. It boggles the mind).

Last edited:
Global auto market is worth 4 trillion. Global energy business is worth 8 trillion. :)

I'll just keep thinking of TSLA in terms of cars.
Think of it this way, the vast majority of obscene wealth generated over the last 150 years is from energy. In that era it was hoarded fossil fuels. Putin is worth about $400B, the Saudi royal family, perhaps $1T. Rockefeller, etc...

In the next era it will be technology collecting renewable energy and storage that makes the whole system work. Plus the services in between. Tesla is the leader in all those things.

They say the first million is the hardest and that much is true! They also say "patience is a virtue" and I can think of no other arena that is more true than in investing.

Congratulations on the milestone and don't be disheartened if you dip below and above a few times before leaving it in the dust!