Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm not sure I understand the impetus for people taking profits right now. I mean, for some who are now gloriously wealthy beyond their wildest dreams, I get it...but aren't there some guaranteed positive catalysts coming up in the next few months that make it worth staying in? I guess I see way more upside in the next few months than any risk of downside.

You might be underestimating the role day traders and swing traders play in price discovery. Lot of them have no clue about the fundamentals and purely trade based on price confirmations and TA. I watched a couple of random TSLA youtube videos and it is shocking to me how many of them think Tesla is a good short even now. Most of these guys have stops setup to limit loss both on short and long side. MMs know this and can manipulate based on these technical indicators.

1. The labour pool is not what was originally expected. No point in building out when there's no one to run the equipment.
2. I'll believe it when I see it. Most manufacturers have cancelled or pushed back their EV plans.
3. I'd guess it would be more that Tesla needs all the batteries that it can get. While that might also starve the competition (what there is), it's a side effect, not the main reason.
Why didn't Tesla build housing in Nevada for workers and their families - like a lot of Quaker families did in UK? Port Sunlight, Bourneville etc.

Rent them to workers, upgrade with Tesla HVAC, add some solar, storage...

You might be underestimating the role day traders and swing traders play in price discovery. Lot of them have no clue about the fundamentals and purely trade based on price confirmations and TA. I watched a couple of random TSLA youtube videos and it is shocking to me how many of them think Tesla is a good short even now. Most of these guys have stops setup to limit loss both on short and long side. MMs know this and can manipulate based on these technical indicators.
In addition, there are plenty of longs thinking they can time the market, trying to take profits at highs and re-enter when SP gets lower. There is nothing wrong with all different strategies. Altogether makes the whole investment things more interesting, thrilled and fun.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: vikings123
But my question -- and I think someone was explaining something similar. Last week I bought an option call spread at 1200/1300 expiring in June 22. When the stock ran today, and both were in the money, I assumed I would have made near 10k per option (100 X 10). But the both legs moved up in lockstep, pretty much, and I'm still about even. Is there a simple explanation as to why this is? i.e. Is it because there is so much time left, that stock could drop or rise, such that the risk hasn't really changed on each leg? I was actually going to buy a nearer term call spread (Oct), which would have been the same price as the one I bought (I think ~3.2k/option). But I surmise that had a better rise today, as it's nearer term? I thought I was a genius buying it out for 2 years from now. Thought I was guaranteed to 3x my money. But I guess now the time risk is working against me. Is my understanding correct?
Once the stock price rose above the high end, both calls were in the money, Delta = 1 (that is, when the stock moves $1, so does the option), and to a first approximation, the time value of both would be the same as well. The point of the spread is to give you safety in return for limiting the upside, which is exactly what you saw.

Reactions: StealthP3D
Why didn't Tesla build housing in Nevada for workers and their families - like a lot of Quaker families did in UK? Port Sunlight, Bourneville etc.

Rent them to workers, upgrade with Tesla HVAC, add some solar, storage...
Water. It's not that easy in Nevada.

Is this an appropriate place to link to Omar Qazi's legal gofundme? Legal Defense Against Aaron Greenspan organized by Omar Qazi. Saw FC/truth tesla retweeting it.

Here's the campaign description:

After threatening and harassing me ever since he doxxed me on my birthday in 2019, Tesla short-seller Aaron Greenspan has now filed a lawsuit against me and Elon Musk.

This legal defense fund will be used to defend against Aaron Greenspan's frivolous lawsuit and bring light to the unlawful conduct of Tesla short sellers like Greenspan.

I don't expect anything from anyone, but if you want to chip in thank you so much for reducing the burden on myself and my family. I can never thank you enough.

Even one dollar helps. I appreciate you all a lot

–– Omar Qazi
I just gave $100. A very small price to pay for the work he did trying to keep $TSLAQ honest.

I would hope Elon would pick-up Omar's tab, but donated anyway, just in case.

Note sure how Greenspan could afford to take legal action given the losses on his short positions - and none of his pals would have anything to donate either.
I've been on the receiving end of a frivolous lawsuit. It hurts, and costs money. In this case, the lawsuit alleges that Elon/Tesla were paying Omar. It might be inadvisable for Elon to pay for his defense. Nothing stops Elon from attempting to get the entire case dismissed on his own behalf though.

Hmm, outfit to wear during the shareholders meeting while watching online?
37F83D32-8EFA-444A-A295-3F1F04B024A0.jpeg

https://twitter.com/shortshorterhmm/status/1280297464113836038?s=21

What's the story here?

Elon should countersue aaron for the same thing. It's like the most homophobic person are usually homosexual themselves theory.

And who is aaron greenspan?

“After threatening and harassing me ever since he doxxed me on my birthday in 2019, Tesla short-seller Aaron Greenspan has now filed a lawsuit against me and Elon Musk.

This legal defense fund will be used to defend against Aaron Greenspan's frivolous lawsuit and bring light to the unlawful conduct of Tesla short sellers like Greenspan.

I don't expect anything from anyone, but if you want to chip in thank you so much for reducing the burden on myself and my family. I can never thank you enough.

Even one dollar helps. I appreciate you all a lot

–– Omar Qazi”

https://twitter.com/wholemarsblog/status/1280207217325510656?s=21

apparently Greenspan has already begun doxxing donors to Omar’s defense fund.

I strongly recommend against stop losses unless your particular situation has unique requirements and demands it. They are a recipe for having your shares stolen on the cheap!
I mostly agree with you, but it was my auto stop losses that saved my bacon when C19 destroyed the market. I was able to stop the bleeding at 25% and then able to pick up some very nice TSLA buys all the way down to $350.

IYHO, do you believe that TSLA is the stock that probably shouldn't have stop losses? I'm not against that strategy per-se, just trying to be wiser than I am. So, even at 30% loss, in case of Black Swan events?? Normally this seems prudent. But I recognize that TSLA isnt normal. I truly believe it will go above $5000 in the next 4 to 5 years.

• Informative
Reactions: kanweg