Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, thanks. Maybe I haven't learned my lesson yet, but I just sold a Jul 24 $2000 call contract for $2300. If the SP goes to $2000 in less than 3 weeks, I am willing to part with 100 shares.

Edit: I hope I regret this trade. If so, I will be much wealthier on July 24th :)

I just sold a $2250 for the same date. These premiums are hard not to take advantage of, and if the price hits that, yeah, I'm fine.

That's all right. It allowed me to get an extra free share by selling 100 then buying back 101 for the same money. I'd love to be able to do that every trading day.

Note: I only play with my smaller TFSA account (tax-free, so no worry about tax implications on the trades),
my main account is HODL.
There's no holding period for funds to clear from your sale?

There's no holding period for funds to clear from your sale?

My bank's software allows me to trade with the money as soon as the order is "filled". Officially, I get the trade notification on the transactions a few days later. I guess if I wanted to take the money out of the account I would have to wait for that, but trading within the same account is OK right away.

This is pretty big news. Imagine if the $7500 tax credit came back to Tesla for the next 400,000 cars! Well, the bill passes the house!

U.S. House passes Moving Forward Act

• Sec. 90431 – Federal EV tax credit: Increases the cap on the Section 30D federal EV tax credit to a total of 600,000 credits per auto manufacturer (versus the current 200,000 credits) – essentially, this will let the tax credit work for more drivers for a longer period of time.
  • Sec. 90432 – Used EV tax credit: Creates a new tax credit for buyers of used EVs, providing more options to consumers who are low-income. The credit is capped at the lesser of $2,500 credit or 30% of the sale price.
  • Sec. 33333 – Expanding Access to EVs in Underserved Communities: Requires that the Department of Energy conduct an assessment of the barriers and opportunities for deployment of EV charging stations in underserved communities and disadvantaged communities.
  • Sec. 33332 – EV Charging Station rebate program: Creates a new rebate program for installing EV charging stations at multi-unit dwellings, workplaces or commercial locations that are open to the public for at least 12 hours a day.
  • Sec. 1211: Accessibility, Rest Areas and Signage: Requires that EV charging stations that are funded through the Highway Trust Fund (and all other areas under title 23) to be usable by the majority of EV drivers. Also allows for EV charging stations at Interstate rest areas or park & ride locations. And, calls for the Department of Transportation to update the EV signage manuals in order to provide uniform signage to locate EV charging stations.
  • Sec. 50002 – U.S. Postal Service to go electric: Requires at least 75% of any new vehicles purchased by the U.S. Postal Service to be EVs. And, each post office location open to the public must have at least 1 charging station by 2026. The fleet of medium and heavy-duty trucks must also be at least 30% electric by 2030.
  • Sec. 33340 – U.S. Federal fleet to go electric: Requires that beginning in FY 2025, at least 50% of the vehicles purchased for the federal fleet must be EVs (and the other 50% must be alternative fueled vehicles).
  • Sec. 33338 – Funding for State Transportation Electrification Plans: Calls for funding for State Energy Transportation Plans, which must include plans to deploy a network of EV charging stations, reduce fossil fuels and improve air quality by transportation electrification.
  • Sec. 33337 – Utilities and Transportation Electrification: Requires states to consider allowing for measures to encourage deployment of EV charging stations by utilities, including letting the utility recover investments in the EV charging stations.

This is pretty big news. Imagine if the $7500 tax credit came back to Tesla for the next 400,000 cars! Well, the bill passes the house!

• Sec. 90431 – Federal EV tax credit: Increases the cap on the Section 30D federal EV tax credit to a total of 600,000 credits per auto manufacturer (versus the current 200,000 credits) – essentially, this will let the tax credit work for more drivers for a longer period of time.
  • Sec. 90432 – Used EV tax credit: Creates a new tax credit for buyers of used EVs, providing more options to consumers who are low-income. The credit is capped at the lesser of $2,500 credit or 30% of the sale price.
  • Sec. 33333 – Expanding Access to EVs in Underserved Communities: Requires that the Department of Energy conduct an assessment of the barriers and opportunities for deployment of EV charging stations in underserved communities and disadvantaged communities.
  • Sec. 33332 – EV Charging Station rebate program: Creates a new rebate program for installing EV charging stations at multi-unit dwellings, workplaces or commercial locations that are open to the public for at least 12 hours a day.
  • Sec. 1211: Accessibility, Rest Areas and Signage: Requires that EV charging stations that are funded through the Highway Trust Fund (and all other areas under title 23) to be usable by the majority of EV drivers. Also allows for EV charging stations at Interstate rest areas or park & ride locations. And, calls for the Department of Transportation to update the EV signage manuals in order to provide uniform signage to locate EV charging stations.
  • Sec. 50002 – U.S. Postal Service to go electric: Requires at least 75% of any new vehicles purchased by the U.S. Postal Service to be EVs. And, each post office location open to the public must have at least 1 charging station by 2026. The fleet of medium and heavy-duty trucks must also be at least 30% electric by 2030.
  • Sec. 33340 – U.S. Federal fleet to go electric: Requires that beginning in FY 2025, at least 50% of the vehicles purchased for the federal fleet must be EVs (and the other 50% must be alternative fueled vehicles).
  • Sec. 33338 – Funding for State Transportation Electrification Plans: Calls for funding for State Energy Transportation Plans, which must include plans to deploy a network of EV charging stations, reduce fossil fuels and improve air quality by transportation electrification.
  • Sec. 33337 – Utilities and Transportation Electrification: Requires states to consider allowing for measures to encourage deployment of EV charging stations by utilities, including letting the utility recover investments in the EV charging stations.
Without a Dem landslide in November, this is no big deal at all.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog and UncaNed
This seems crazily optimistic. A SR model 3 battery is 323 kg, but presumably with a pallet etc its going to be realisticaly 350kg. Where are you getting a 2x improvement in energy density from? that seems like wishful thinking. I dont think Tesla has made any world-changing discoveries in energy density. They are more concerned with longevity (for robotaxi) and cost/scale.
Improved energy density isnt going to sell them as many cars as simply building more factories. They can already sell every car they make, its all about scale now surely?

This is about cells not a battery pack, so the 300 kg is correct for the mass of cells in a battery.

The 2x improvement in energy density is probably too high, but there are hints in various places that the gravimetric energy density is likely to be greatly improved. From Maxwell dry-cell technology to boost Tesla batteries and simplify the manufacturing process Maxwell have a clear road-map of hitting 500Wh/kg, changes in additives give a 5% improvement e.g. Jeff Dahn's research works | Dalhousie University, Halifax (Dal) and other places, improved form factor 5-10% and moving some of the cell functions to the battery pack (e.g. as in AGGREGATED BATTERY SYSTEM - Tesla, Inc.) another 5%.

The 10 tonnes per truck is possibly a bit low, class 8 trucks have a gross weight of 14969 kg (including cab) so the load could possibly be a bit higher.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Looked up how much for a protective put. As expected, crazy expensive!

View attachment 561677
Yes, I cannot justify buying these as a protective position. Too expensive.
I have been looking into buying puts on SPX (S&P500) or IWO (Russel growth 2000) with the logic that Tesla will go down only if the market goes down. In that case, money made from these puts can be used to buy more TSLA or TSLA calls.
Still trying to figure out a strategy around this.

Reactions: JusRelax
This is what I don't get.

Market valuation is NOT about the quantity of a given product you sell.

If I sell a billion pencils and break even, all I've done is put in a lot of hard work with nothing to show for it.
If my friend down the road sells 100 pencils and makes $3 total...well, at least he's $3 richer.

Who's worth more? The guy with the $3.
I could have a billion dollar in sales business tomorrow if I started selling dollar bills for 95 cents...

Apart from the roughly 0% chance of this going anywhere in the Senate- By the time this became law Tesla would already have sold over 600k cars. Would have to dig into the wording I guess to see exactly how they phrase it since the old one was phase out starts when you have 200k total sales regardless of how many folks "used" the credit.

But if new one keys off total sales like the old one it'd not help Tesla at all (but help everyone else 3x as long)

• Informative
Reactions: replicant

That's great for the mission! Now they just need to remove all the tax breaks for the fossil fuel industry to pay for these incentives!