Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i think you're the one unclear on the definition :)

At the most I TOTALLY RIDE ELONS JOCK reading of his actual words he at least promised in the 2nd definition under verb.

In any reasonable reading the "I am confident we will have..." line fits the other 2 definitions too.

I love Elon too man- but he has zero idea how long FSD will actually take.

He's literally said if it's something he hasn't done before you can't trust his word on how long things will take (Green cited this in his remarks).

Stop defending bullshit dates.

(and he should stop giving em- it's just fuel for the anti-tesla folks fires)

This is what he said in 2019-his exact words in quotes.

“I feel very confident predicting autonomous robotaxis for Tesla next year,” Musk said on stage at the Tesla Autonomy Investor Day in Palo Alto, California. They won’t be “in all jurisdictions, because we won’t have regulatory approval everywhere, but I am confident we will have at least regulatory approval somewhere, literally next year,” he said.

prom·ise
/ˈpräməs/

noun
  1. a declaration or assurance that one will do a particular thing or that a particular thing will happen.
    "what happened to all those firm promises of support?"
verb
  1. 1.
    assure someone that one will definitely do, give, or arrange something; undertake or declare that something will happen.
    "he promised to forward my mail"
  2. 2.
    give good grounds for expecting (a particular occurrence or situation).
You know there are many future release movies running promotions on TV with an actual release date but then gets moved? Elon said he has confidence. That's not a word of certainty, just a simple way of saying "more likely than not". So the most game changing and challenging item on Tesla menu gets delayed.... nothing burger.

You know there are many future release movies running promotions on TV with an actual release date but then gets moved? Elon said he has confidence. That's not a word of certainty, just a simple way of saying "more likely than not". So the most game changing and challenging item on Tesla menu gets delayed.... nothing burger.

I'm not at all surprised they missed the date (or will anyway, technically 2020 isn't over but it's pretty clear they're missing the date). He's been missing dates on FSD since 2016.

That was kinda the point of why you should take any promises from him on that topic with a continent of salt...and not necessarily price into your stock considerations any dates he gives on the topic.

The issue was someone claiming he never even made the promise in the first place and suggesting I was lying about it or not understanding what the word promise meant.

Looks like it will be. Sense a lot of FOMO right now.
Well, the Upper-BB was at $1452.15 @ 11:00 ET so there's lot's of 'head-room' for a climb allowed by the technicals, and we're in rare-air right now at $1,420ish. I'll try to get a 'screenie' at $1,420.69 ;)

EDIT: Missed it by that much! :D

High: 1420.61​

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2020-07-10.11-03.png

Cheers!

Last edited:
Good chance July 23 and 24 are held back my MM, and then we finally rip on the next Monday. But a $1,600 covered call might not even hold past this upcoming Monday or Tuesday...
Great warning for all here. Let's not forget 1Q profit, that made this run possible, had zero SP impact for a couple days. I bet pretty big there'd be a profit and resulting SP bump. Got it right and still lost because the clock ran out.

And options are just too damn expensive anyway. Buy shares.

I'm not at all surprised they missed the date (or will anyway, technically 2020 isn't over but it's pretty clear they're missing the date). He's been missing dates on FSD since 2016.

That was kinda the point of why you should take any promises from him on that topic with a continent of salt...and not necessarily price into your stock considerations any dates he gives on the topic.

The issue was someone claiming he never even made the promise in the first place and suggesting I was lying about it or not understanding what the word promise meant.
Plans changed. He thought outsourcing to Nvidia and mobileeye was the answer until he changed direction and vertically integrated it.

It's like him saying rocket launch soon prior to going to Russia but found he had to change directions mid way due to x, y and z.

Looks like it will be. Sense a lot of FOMO right now.
The amount of cash on the sidelines due to uncertainty and economic stimulus is at record or near record levels. That includes retail and institutional investors. On top of that I'm pretty sure we are seeing some inflation, at least in the market.

I saw most of the pluses you are seeing. And figured we were going to be profitable in Q2.
But then the Elon, "Push to the finishline, it is going to be close for "breaking even" text gave me concern. What had I not seen? My WAG? I think Elon "breaking even" target was "breaking even" without the Fiat credits so he can prove the business can be profitable without a crutch. And that is my WAG.

It's been pointed out by a number of people in the media, the message was vague in that it didn't specify which metric Tesla was close to "breaking even" on. It could be analysts expectations or just about anything. And Elon knows this so he was likely just using it for appearances sake. My personal take is that it's part of his move in recent years towards "under-promise, over-deliver". So, if GAAP profit is considerably above "break-even" it will blow expectations away. Since Elon didn't specify which metric he was speaking of, he can't be held to it.

One interpretation I don't agree with is breaking even after backing out ZEV credits. Because it's arbitrary. ZEV credits are just as real as any other income because they are not going away for the forseeable future. Disappearing credits is a story pushed by the same crowd that says "the competition is coming". Because it's true, if the ICE manufacturers actually deliver EV's in substantial volumes, that would put a serious damper on the value Tesla sees from ZEV credits. But since there is no visible flood of EV's in substantial volumes that I can see in the near future, the ZEV credits are real income that may be recognized in a lumpy fashion for various reasons but that don't show signs of disappearing in the near-term quarters.

Eventually the ZEV credits will disappear but that will be more than made up for by efficiencies of higher volume production and declining battery costs so I don't see ZEV credits as something that needs to be backed out of earnings to "get a more accurate picture". It's a false narrative.

Topic completely missed: Although this is not my native language, I must note that casting (knight)shade to disguise the meaning of words like "promise" or "lying" is not in the sense of fruitful communication here in the forum, at least not for me.

Almost to the topic: [email protected] USD (~1.230 EUR). Go TSLA! Vorwärts!

Interesting article about a potential reservoir of untapped revenue...

Tesla [TSLA] Has A Warranty Accounting Mystery

One of these days, Tesla is going to realize it has hundreds of millions of idle excess funds in its warranty reserve, and when it converts some of it into net income, the shorts are gonna scream: Managing Earnings! Manipulating Accruals! Or maybe the fear of provoking that outcry is preventing them from doing it? Either way, the bottom line is that Tesla’s accruals are far in excess of its claims, and its claims are quite low while its accruals are quite high, compared to other automakers.

Stop it. You're the only one here who thinks "I'm confident" is a promise. Either we're a bunch of retards or you're reaching.
Pardon my French but this nonsense has gone on long enough.

Yeppers! It's my birthday, it's Nikola Tesla's birthday, it's Friday....all good things. Feelin the flow.....
The way it’s consolidating in this 1410 range is bullish imo. We’ve seen this happen a few times the past couple weeks before another breakout. They seem to take place at the same time. I’m thinking it will be a fun afternoon