Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed, Ferrari is pretty unique: I view it mostly as a brand, which remains quite powerful:
The 10 most powerful brands in the world | Business Insider Italia

They have a story that very few automakers can compare, and this kind of reputation and legacy can't be bought or built overnight.
Every Ferrari event celebrates the long "history" of the brand, which is their real capital (of course, they are obviously good at building fast and beautiful cars). As Mastroianni's "La Dolce Vita", or Tuscan hills, they offer a specific fantasy of what Italy is, which is btw sold mostly to Americans ;-)

Until they manage to colonize the minds of rich people, they are good to go.
Maybe things will change with the new generation of millionaires.
I don't get it. Since I've learned about Tesla and discovered that the future will be electric, I see expensive ICE cars as outdated piece of machines - like gleaming steam locomotives, or ripe pineapples. Their price, refinement and exuberance don't change that.

I may be a little early in this realization, but I'm not special so I expect the mass to share that view in the coming years (just wait for the Tesla Roadster to be delivered in volume!), and the rich to quickly get rid of their noisy, smoky, lousy, flashy ferraris.

Only, this is not accurate.

Wait, you then say (emphasis mine):

You can configure a car, place an order for a car, and plunk down money for the reservation fee, sure, maybe in 2 minutes.

OK, so you disprove your own initial assertion.

Then Tesla’s website has a whole set of forms you go through, especially if you’re trading in a car. Then you run into a situation where you have a question. So you email or call the Tesla rep. Assuming you don’t get an immediate reply, you wait. Then you wait some more. Then there’s delivery. Inevitable new questions arise. From either party. On it goes.

I just traded in an old S for a new S and I must have spent 10 total hours over the course of a week in email or on the phone getting the transaction done. Since delivery I’ve already had one service visit requiring a follow-up with warranty replacement parts. Love the car, but there’s always a surprise.

Well given that "can" in this context means "possible", it doesn't preclude that it's also possible to take 10 hours to order a car.

In much the same way, I can place an Amazon 1-click order for something I want in the space of 30 seconds. I can also spend hours researching, comparing, setting up a new credit card, etc...

The point is it is impossible to purchase a car this way at a traditional dealership.

Elon lives in a perfect world.

Perhaps. But in this case he was simply specific and accurate in what he said.

Owning only 300 shares makes selling one or a few covered calls even more risky. Could've easily seen all those shares called away from late June to mid July as the SP ran up from $900 to $1,500+ in ~3 weeks.

I'd advice @gabeincal to do anything he can to live off of something else. Perhaps if your expenses are <$1,500 / month living off of shares won't hurt your portfolio that much, but If you think these shares will be something like $15,000 or more by 2030, every $1,500 you make through other means is then more like making $15,000.

I been selling weekly calls about $500-400 OTM for a small premium. With 3 covered calls during low IV you can make around $500-300 a week, before Q2 $2100-1500 and when we were in the $1700-1600s you could make $15000-9000 with 700 points OTM. If I feel like the trade is going wrong I close the call early and I don't sell calls if something big is coming up like the S&P inclusion. I didn't sell any when the PD report came out but right after I did. With the three call maybe he could sell three different strikes just in case. IMO covered calls have their place and I think is better than trading shares.

I don't get it. Since I've learned about Tesla and discovered that the future will be electric, I see expensive ICE cars as outdated piece of machines - like gleaming steam locomotives, or ripe pineapples. Their price, refinement and exuberance don't change that.

I may be a little early in this realization, but I'm not special so I expect the mass to share that view in the coming years (just wait for the Tesla Roadster to be delivered in volume!), and the rich to quickly get rid of their noisy, smoky, lousy, flashy ferraris.
Just wait until the new Roadster is out beating up on Ferraris, while getting 100mpge, and not requiring a special mechanic from Firenze (no idea where they are based and don't care to check) to change the oil. AND your grandkids won't be embarrassed by how much it pollutes.

What will model Y single engine cost? I was going to buy a model 3 because of the cost of the Y was out of my budget....but could be good news for me?
LR 3 was 48k? At the time my performance was about 70k. So guessing Y single engine would be around 5k less than the dual motor version? (depends on battery size I suppose)

Last edited:
Tesla should buy the bankrupt Crescent Dunes solar concentrator plant down the road in Tonepah, NV to virtually power their entire Nevada operations plus some.

If anyone can easily tweak the engineering to optimize production, it's Tesla. Haven't read all the details, but I have to assume the molten salt storage portion is the problem. Just slap on a couple megapacks instead.

Great PR and $ savings opportunity.

Post bankruptcy, Crescent Dunes CSP plant owner wants project back online by year’s end
It would have to be a fire sale. Photovoltaics are so cheap now. But yes, Tesla will be getting into the power game more and more. I see them in a few years building their own solar/battery plants from scratch and linking them with everything else and autobidder. This does not seem to be priced in either.

So I reckon the MM's let it run up above $1500, in fact likely bought a lot of those shares, so they could offload all the puts that got assigned from Friday's push-down - there were around 8000 alone on $1500 strike.

Now they've sold those for profit, they can offload the ones they bought earlier today too.

And what's holding up this stupid index business? Get on with it already, in or out, but no-news is killing us.

Last edited:
With prayer or without ;)
What affect would a secondary/supplemental offering have on strike prices for outstanding options, particularly OOTM call options? I assume the option contract would not change as it is essentially a separate security. But if there is a secondary offering with dilutive effects, that would seem to impact the likelihood of increasing SP toward the strike price. Example, 12/31/20 $1750 call option. Thoughts?

• Informative
Reactions: SunCatcher
Excellent way to view it! I realize that ultimately, my path will be to just buy the day I get paid (treating my brokerage account as my savings account in effect) instead of trying to time the price. I do not want to gamble on missing out on this. I see way too many people mumbling about how they kept waiting for this to get “back” to 180$ only to realize now that it’s too extraordinary high for their mind to grasp, price wise, now.
(Glad I bought two more shares at open this morning ;))
This is classic "dollar cost averaging" and is known to be better than trying to time the market. Just selling regularly when you need the cash is the converse.