Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regardless of how the judge sentences, can defendant or plaintiff appeal to some higher court?.

Technically yes, but it's extremely unlikely either the government or Tesla would waste additional time and limited resources on appealing a relatively minor matter once the district court rules.

If Judge Nathan thinks the movant overreached, she might allow Tesla to recover it's cost of defending the motion:

(d) If the alleged contemnor is found not guilty of the charges, said person shall be discharged from the proceedings and, in the discretion of the Court, may have judgment against the complainant for costs and disbursements and a reasonable counsel fee

https://img.nyed.uscourts.gov/files/local_rules/localrules.pdf

Last edited:
And will escape due to the higher performance and longer range.

Unless they choose to let the Tesla explode in a spectacular manner for an alternative kind of product placement that would probably please Aston Martin. :)

On that note, I once had my actual place of work blown up (with some CGI) in a James Bond movie,

- since the ESO VLT Hotel was used as the villains lair. Not a bad choice of scenery, if I may say so.

@KarenRei you have a lot of explaining to do. And you have to go back full year to find single Tesla car registered in Iceland.

IS.PNG

Was waiting for close of market to post, and was hoping for more than 2% gain today, but if it's green I'll take it!

I have a somewhat unusual perspective on this as I have the unique perspective of literally having had hundreds of strangers ride in my car which is almost always a topic of conversation, many of whom it is their first ride in a Tesla. I started driving with Uber and Lyft as a side gig and on a whim 3 years ago, last July when I sold my trusty 2nd gen Chevy Volt I kept right on doing it with my Model 3, and have now completed hundreds of rides with it. (NOTE: In general, I wouldn't recommend this to most people, but I enjoy the interactions and the area I live in is conducive to it. PM if you want the gory details.)

I'm no bear by any means, but I'm dismayed to report that the FUD is working, to a degree. Probably more with the general public to stifle/slow demand than in the investment world even. Things I hear constantly:

"I wish Tesla was doing better."
"Elon is crazy!"
"Aren't they in financial dire straits?"
"Where do you charge? There aren't any where I live."
and my least favorite, which was the first time I almost got in a heated argument with a passenger:
"They just cut production way back and fired a bunch of people, I know because I know a manager who works there!"

Now, before you all start posting counters to all these things, you don't need to. I read this thread frequently (although it is a struggle to keep up as of late!) and could probably shame most Tesla salespeople with my response. The discouraging thing is HOW OFTEN I'm having to educate/counter FUD, and because of where I drive I have a disproportionate number of higher socioeconomic/education passengers. (Hence, more likely to be near future customers, young people are a different story, they love Tesla. :D)

Probably the best counter to this is more cars in the hands of more happy customers (key component this) but at some point it will need to be taken on more directly as well. I'm not posting this to sound negative but to give my real world experience with a fairly large sample size is that the FUD does have more of an impact than we in the Tesla owner/investor community sometimes realize. I didn't bat an eye at Dan's story because I experience it every day.

If I take any comfort from it personally, it is that I'm probably having a bigger beneficial impact on the future as an impromptu educator/spokesperson than as a Tesla customer or investor!

Take any opportunity to get out and talk to people, patiently and positively as FC mentioned, as it's a war and the issue is more in doubt than some on this board believe.

THIS.
People on TMC forget the sheer amount of FUD that is out there.
I mean, basically every media and outlet is biased against Tesla, and this is has been damaging the reputation of Tesla for years.
If every and each media (even the "most respectable", as NYT or WP) portraits Tesla as failing and Elon as a lunatic, you end up believing it. It's not your fault.
I personally don't discuss Tesla much with friends, especially after the pedo tweets and articles on working safety and union suppression. I can't always reply that the only source of verifiable information is a forum on the internet...
I sound like a conspiracy theorist.
And this exactly why the FUD campaigns are working: if nobody "important" tells the truth, FUD reigns, and good and reliable information is just lost in the noise.

I think this will solve itself when people see the truth with their eyes:
a flood of M3s on the streets, multiple profitable quarters on 10Ks.

I wish Tesla were better with social media, but probably in this case Elon wants complete freedom and control: so we are stuck with the occasional pedo/funding/SEC tweet and the much more common (but less newsworthy) good ceo/helpdesk/problem solver.

Followed by an annual EVonly fee which is rumored to be $250.
I heard some of those rumors but cannot confirm them to have any real validity. I only see it was debated at one point, but the governor decided to decline. Do you have any source for this claim?

How much would you pay if Ohio's gas tax rises by 18 cents per gallon? We did the math.

“More debt wasn't an option for DeWine. Earlier this month, a panel convened by DeWine recommended raising the motor fuel "user fee" after taking testimony for just two days. DeWine also did not recommend a new fee on electric, hybrid or alternative fuel vehicles, which state officials estimated would raise only $2.5 million a year.”

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
THIS.
I mean, basically every media and outlet is biased against Tesla, and this is has been damaging the reputation of Tesla for years.
If every and each media (even the "most respectable", as NYT or WP) portraits Tesla as failing and Elon as a lunatic, you end up believing it.

Speaking of, ran across this opinion piece in the Post basically attacking electric cars.

Automatically got annoyed when they used the average price for the 3 but then used the standard battery pack for range.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...hows-just-how-silly-green-new-deal-really-is/

Okay, challenge accepted:

'HDW3 is shipping now. Order FSD by Sunday and get the sale price! Schedule an appt online for a Tesla Ranger to come upgrade your computer.'

How's that? ;)

Man I had the same thought, well except the ranger part, but i was waiting to get through 25+ pages before I posted and yep, per usual someone else has the same idea.

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I heard some of those rumors but cannot confirm them to have any real validity. I only see it was debated at one point, but the governor decided to decline. Do you have any source for this claim?

How much would you pay if Ohio's gas tax rises by 18 cents per gallon? We did the math.

“More debt wasn't an option for DeWine. Earlier this month, a panel convened by DeWine recommended raising the motor fuel "user fee" after taking testimony for just two days. DeWine also did not recommend a new fee on electric, hybrid or alternative fuel vehicles, which state officials estimated would raise only $2.5 million a year.”

Michigan is looking at 45 cents gas tax hike. The roads in Michigan are horrid.

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer Proposes 45-cent Fuel Tax Hike

But they will offset some of the costs by doing the following (email response from governor office):

“To help mitigate the costs that drivers will face at the pump, this budget will allow us to double the Earned Income Tax Credit, which will save an eligible family of four up to $30 per month, repeal the Retirement Tax, which will save 400,000 Michigan households an average of $65 per month, and reduce the hidden tax Michigan motorists are already paying through extra vehicle repairs, which cost the average driver $562 per year.”

Reactions: AZRI11
@KarenRei you have a lot of explaining to do. And you have to go back full year to find single Tesla car registered in Iceland.

IS.PNG

Believe it or not, not that many people want to buy a car where servicing it requires a week's ferry trip :Þ

Also, while we have a very high total EV adoption rate, 3/4ths are PHEVs, not BEVs, because our charging network sucks. Didn't even exist outside the capitol region until a year ago. And nothing more powerful than 50kW in the country. Oh, and the tax incentives are big for low-end vehicles, but not so much for vehicles with prices like what the S and X used to be.

BTW, there's rumours that the upcoming Tesla service centre is going to be in a building just a couple hundred meters away from me :)

Last edited:
THIS.
If every and each media (even the "most respectable", as NYT or WP) portraits Tesla as failing and Elon as a lunatic, you end up believing it. It's not your fault.
I personally don't discuss Tesla much with friends, especially after the pedo tweets and articles on working safety and union suppression. I can't always reply that the only source of verifiable information is a forum on the internet...
I sound like a conspiracy theorist.
And this exactly why the FUD campaigns are working: if nobody "important" tells the truth, FUD reigns, and good and reliable information is just lost in the noise.

I think this will solve itself when people see the truth with their eyes:
a flood of M3s on the streets, multiple profitable quarters on 10Ks.

I wish Tesla were better with social media, but probably in this case Elon wants complete freedom and control: so we are stuck with the occasional pedo/funding/SEC tweet and the much more common (but less newsworthy) good ceo/helpdesk/problem solver.

Tesla must come up with a communications strategy that's effective with mainstream America (I do see that you are in Italy). The word of mouth strategy might work in California, but then there's the other seven-eighths of America. One day last week I drove five hours and saw one Tesla (way out in the sticks; I thought maybe they were lost [not seriously]). Yesterday someone with an old car told me she plans to buy a new Honda. I asked if she considered a Model 3. "No they closed all their stores." Yes I believe Tesla is currently selling all the 3's they can make, and there are untapped markets and demand levers. But Tesla must rely on 3-S-X sales for the next 12 - 18 months with increasing sales of 3's separate from China. They need a strategy to put positive messages out there. What a high percentage of Americans "know" about Tesla comes from FUD, and that's not sustainable for the brand. YouTube videos? Speaking tours? I don't know what's the best strategy.

I don't know what's the best strategy.

That woman that said "They closed all their stores"? "The best strategy" is for people like you to educate people like her. E.g. correct her about the stores, explain the reason, then explain that service centres are not stores, tell her about mobile service, etc. If she's scared about the financial health of Tesla, talk about how much cash it generated in Q3 and Q4 and its margins, and then start talking about the awful financial straits of many major ICE players ;)

For the Model Y event, The surprise I want to see is updated timeline for MY.
  • For GF1, what needs to be done is only press and paint then a duplicate of GA4 tent. They for sure will leave plenty of free space for future automation updates, but I hope they don’t make it into a dreadnought from day one. Elon should have learned that lesson through the NDE called M3 ramp.
  • For GF3, I don’t see any reason they cann’t produce M Y from day one, that could mean it starts at end of this year, with volume production of SR trim some time next year.

Reactions: humbaba
Based on a conversation with my state rep - I was the first person he knew that owned an EV, so we discussed who should be paying what, for use of common resources.

I heard some of those rumors but cannot confirm them to have any real validity. I only see it was debated at one point, but the governor decided to decline. Do you have any source for this claim...

Last edited:
The writer seems to think the Y requires subsidies to sell. Out of touch. Has not noticed Tesla pricing is now head to head with comparable ICE models.

Indeed, almost nobody has noticed. When they do, the share price will move. Far better product, same price, max-growth secured.

There's another aspect to base models that nobody seems to be thinking through. What happens when the wait time for the Model 3 SR blows out to months and then a year or more, which it almost certainly will...

It becomes an up-sell mechanism. To queue jump, buyers choose higher spec cars. Tesla can easily tweak the production ratio of the various models to ensure the lines are always at capacity, and keep that incentive in place for people to stretch a bit more. The percentage mix of lower margin models is kept to a minimum, profit is maxed.

The idea that the SR hurts margins in any significant way is BS. By the time Tesla can keep up with demand for SR models, years from now, the scale will be such that they can do it at 20% margin, and the share price will be a multiple of today's value.

Last edited: