Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
400 Jan2021. The options calculator I use says they should be around 40, but currently selling at 37. I've been using that calculator for awhile now with other stocks, so there's a good chance I got a discount on top of the current price's discount.

I've x4 my account in 3 years, mostly from TSLA. Hoping to continue that rate. Maybe I should have waited for TSLA to hit the lower BB again, but I didn't want to risk it not doing that since there seems to be minor support around 275.

I assume you're aware of the (low, but present) risk that Tesla is bought out before Jan 2021 for a price under or not much over $400, rendering your calls near worthless.

LOL, whatever dude. You're the one who responded to a completely different topic surrounding BMW with "BMW is trash, always broken" and now you're arguing that you weren't stating that Tesla is better.

1. I didn’t put that quote in. Just copied the link showing BMW is far from perfect.

2. Sad that BMW with over a century of experience, is still so poor. They should be a heck of a lot better. Don’t you agree?

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
1. I didn’t put that quote in. Just copied the link.

2. Sad that BMW with over a century of experience, is still so poor. They should be a heck of a lot better.

Tesla supposedly has the best & brightest engineers in the world and has been building for 10 years... that's silicon valley time. In Munich or Detroit time that's like 50 years. Tesla should be able to put a car together and properly tighten all the fasteners, and put on a windshield straight, but somehow they can't seem to do that.

Tesla supposedly has the best & brightest engineers in the world and has been building for 10 years... that's silicon valley time. In Munich or Detroit time that's like 50 years. Tesla should be able to put a car together and properly tighten all the fasteners, and put on a windshield straight, but somehow they can't seem to do that.

Ah okay. So Tesla operates in an alternate time space continuum.

Got it.

Wow, that convinced me.

Oh wait, no it didn't.

Top 100 Reviews and Complaints about Tesla Motors

BMW recalls 1 million vehicles for fire risk

BMW Car Fires: More fires reported in parked cars while engines off

South Korea to fine BMW $10 mn over engine fires response

South Korea is banning thousands of BMWs after engine fires

Criminal case filed against BMW over S. Korea car fires

“Matchbox”... now I know what the “M” stands for...

A BMW test drive down the street in Buena Park caught on fire spontaneously close to where I live. FYI.

The service I received from BMW was terrible. Although my car was still under warranty by Penske they wanted me to pay for the cost out of pocket, then took 3 weeks to refund me. The dealer tried to pass me onto Penske then Penske tried to pass me back to the dealer (although Penske was part of the BMW dealership family). They didn’t pay for my tow truck or gas when my car was in service neither. Tesla service on the other hand was awesome, they would even offer to pay for my gas.

BMW is being fined $10 million due to their slow and lack of response alone. Now imagine all the litigation stemming from homes being burned down while the car is parked and burning your valuable belongings. That’s $10 million due to being unresponsive to safety concerns that could kill passengers, test drivers and burn them alive. This doesn’t strike me as good customer service or reliable, instead it strikes me as being negligent.

I value my life and my family/friends too much to be in an “M”, or matchbox bmw.

Last edited:

But I do agree that stupid manufacturing issues should be avoided and the cars better inspected. Not giving Tesla a pass.

Yup, about a quarter of my portfolio down the pooper 30 minutes when that was announced. I haven't been hurt that bad in a long time.

It's IMHO not a likely event. That said, Elon (among others) definitely still wants to sell (now more than ever I'm sure), and the stock price is depressed, making the company a cheaper buy - despite having since proven its ability to ramp while cutting production costs. So you never know.

BMW recalls 1 million vehicles for fire risk

BMW Car Fires: More fires reported in parked cars while engines off

South Korea to fine BMW $10 mn over engine fires response

South Korea is banning thousands of BMWs after engine fires

Criminal case filed against BMW over S. Korea car fires

Matchbox...

A BMW test drive down the street in Buena Park caught on fire spontaneously close to where I live. FYI.

The service I received from BMW was terrible. Although my car was still under warranty by Penske they wanted me to pay for the cost out of pocket, then took 3 weeks to refund me. They didn’t pay for my tow truck neither. Tesla service on the other hand was awesome. That’s my experience and no, you won’t be able to get me to touch a bimmer with a stick.

Guuuuuys come on. One of you likes BMW and the other doesn’t. What in your experiences leads either of you to think you’ll convince the other here?

Tesla should be able to put a car together and properly tighten all the fasteners, and put on a windshield straight, but somehow they can't seem to do that.

Why are you still using anecdotal data, and why are you extrapolating it to an invalid, emotional conclusion? It's sloppy and unscientific, and has little to do with informed investment decisions.

I'm pretty sure that Tesla could announce an army of gnomes that build cars for free with 1000 miles of range and the stock price would still dip.

Looking back at expectations over the past few years vs actuals I just don't get it. Sure, you can always do better, but it's hard to imagine a realistic scenario where Tesla could be in a better position today.
It's not a coincidence that the issues with model 3s are in that area, the mundane stuff that is handled by assembly lines, not on the design table. Apparently putting nuts and bolts together takes Detroit time to figure out. Batteries, software etc. run on silicone valley time.

Holy carp, guys, I'l still 20 pages behind, trying to catch up!

I'm deliberately not responding to any posts as I'd generate an extra two pages of garbage, in any case, most of the comments I would have made have been pointed-out by others - makes sense to catch up first, before you decide to post. Just tag quotes as you go and use them at the end if needed.

My take on the MY? I love it and it's exactly what I expected, if not somewhat nicer. The specs are good, the pricing superb - don't forget they can assume 10% you battery improvement/reductions to reduce the initial pricing.

My wife likes it too, she prefers a more upright position, so we'll likely skip the 3 and go for this, but won't order as I'll want to take it as a lease car when my X runs out in mid 2021.

In fact I think this will go down a storm in Europe, they love CUV's over here.

The reveal was a bit surreal. It was nice to see Elon chatty and relaxed, but he really is a terrible public speaker, should find someone else high-up who's good at it to take over the main show, with Elon supporting.

Although the company history was good, it rather swamped the reveal and the MY seemed like an afterthought, which was a shame. I think lining-up the S3XY cars was all well and good, but then take them off stage and bring on another couple of MY's in different colours, like the M3 event, and get some lights on them. Also should have opened the trunk on stage, many don't want the M3 because they prefer a hatch, so make it obvious, FFS.

Was awesome to see the R2, as ever and the Semi (two meanings to that, apparently, who woulda thunk it?) is just awesome.

Market reaction? I couldn't care less, I'm long on this stock, so doesn't change anything.

OT, Bjorn got his referral prize P100D, I can't think of anyone more deserving, he was making Tesla videos back in 2013 already and did a hell of a lot to raise awareness. Checkout the comment on the rear-lights at 3:14 :)

Now back to reading...

It's IMHO not a likely event. That said, Elon (among others) definitely still wants to sell (now more than ever I'm sure), and the stock price is depressed, making the company a cheaper buy - despite having since proven its ability to ramp while cutting production costs. So you never know.

At this point, spinning off Tesla Energy and the charging network is probably a better idea. Maintain a majority stake in both, but see if the other automakers/utilities wants some shares in exchange for being on the network.

Yeah I know we'll get those numbers in about 16 days......but I'm actually genuinely concerned about how low wall st will drive the price down in the meantime until then......especially if the macro's decline over the next 2 weeks(they are already near all-time highs) It's pretty crazy. After Q3 earnings, I thought we'd never see the share price below 300 again. Considering how much positive news came out of the Q3 earnings and since then, I'm amazed at how Wall St was able to play this thing back down to the 270 level. I'm pretty disappointed in large scale funds/investors that are essentially sitting on the sidelines and I really can't wrap my head around why they would not be heavily buying shares at 300 or under.

But unless you are planning to sell in the next two weeks what difference does it make if they release that information today or in ~16 days? Tesla has said that they don't have plans to issue any new stock so they really couldn't care less about the stock price. The only possible impact I could see it having on them is terms for borrowing money, but that hasn't appeared to be an issue.

Last edited:
Any corroboration of the speculation?

Two pieces of circumstantial data:
  • Anonymous, unauthenticated leak on Chinese forum describing Guangzhou's competing offer to Tesla, which offer lost to Shanghai. Sweet terms, including free electricity.
  • NIO's SEC filings describing the conditions under which the Shanghai Government offered to build their factory - which plans were abandoned recently. Very good terms, and it looks probable that the crown jewel project Tesla got even better terms.
Direct corroboration? Not yet.