Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
China related.

According to a joint statement released by government agencies led by the Ministry of Finance and the top economic planner - the National Development and Reform Commission on Tuesday, the subsidy for pure battery electric cars with a driving range of 400 kilometres and above will be cut by 50 per cent to 25,000 yuan per vehicle from 50,000 . . .

Source: China cut subsidies for electric vehicles to boost high-quality development - YUAN TALKS | 元傳媒

That will be a tough one for the shorts. On one hand it impacts TSLA sales there, on the other- there is no demand for TSLA cars to begin with.
Can anyone explain why China is cutting subsidies when they are/were so hell bent on EV adoption and lowering pollution? The above article seems to suggest something about "boost high-quality development "-- can anybody translate?

Greenies hate cars: they think that any car is bad and that nobody should be allowed to own a car but use the (excellent) public transport, bike and walk. The think that EVs don't provide a solution to congested inner cities and lack of parking spaces. They hate EVs since they are still cars.
BTW, this is actually true about the US left as well - except we don't have good public transportation. They want everyone to concentrate on public transportation instead of "expensive EVs for the rich". I've seen more negative articles about EM on Boring (esp. the routes originally proposed) than anything else.

AND there it is…….431 in Norway. We may hit 500 today :eek:

This is, to put it mildly, insane. Today is now the biggest Tesla day in Norway--by almost 10%--and the day's not yet over.

I repeat something I mentioned last week: Norway has a population around half of the Chicago metro area. They've now registered just shy of 4,300 Tesla vehicles in the past 26 days.

Is there any chance that the judge can issue a ruling today, after hours. Or does she still have to wait till midnight tonight in case either party changes their mind about the evidentiary hearing?
From court docs:
No later than March 26, 2019, each party shall indicate in writing whether it is seeking an evidentiary hearing on this matter.
Parties have both indicated, I see no reason the judge would need to wait.

(snip...)

Very little to no FUD overall... Very good article.

Tesla FUD has dropped dramatically in the German press in the last 6 months - which is a very good development. This is partly due to there being very little political polarization over EVs and Tesla's mission: every political party accepts global warming and recognizes that EVs are the future.

Very encouraging, if not just anecdotal, would mean German media has conceded EV and FUD leadership to US manufacturing ; )

We might be talking about concrete numbers but those looking forward to Tesla's demise would only have more to spin. I really think Tesla is at a point where less is more. Keep doing what you're doing. Report the minimum required by law and let the shorts hang themselves. We just have to stick out the ride.

Dan
Speculation and FUD fill the void.

We need to differentiate between hard core manipulators and people in the middle who get swayed one way or other. We can't stop the first group - but by giving more information we limit the number of people in the middle who get swayed by FUD. Also, it will help the financial institutions make better decisions - since absent information, they can also get swayed by bear arguments.

Reactions: S3XY and wipster
BTW, this is actually true about the US left as well - except we don't have good public transportation. They want everyone to concentrate on public transportation instead of "expensive EVs for the rich". I've seen more negative articles about EM on Boring (esp. the routes originally proposed) than anything else.

Had an argument with one of these greenies on reddit. She was hoping for Tesla's demise because Elon is arrogant and EVs are not the answer. Living like a monk however is the answer. I asked if she ever considered suicide as a way to reduce pollution further since that's even more green than what her current lifestyle is for the earth.

Can anyone explain why China is cutting subsidies when they are/were so hell bent on EV adoption and lowering pollution? The above article seems to suggest something about "boost high-quality development "-- can anybody translate?

They've talked about wanting to go from dozens and dozens of small not so sturdy manufacturers making small not so sturdy EVs to larger more robust organizations making more robust higher quality vehicles.

Don't remember the exact detail, but, they either talked about or implemented a pretty strong stick re pushing these smaller companies to either consolidate or say good-bye.

The Electrek article stated that the halved subsidy would apply to EVs with 250 miles of range or more, BUT, 0 subsidy for cars under 250 miles. To me, this seems consistent with above.

Perhaps these moves make more sense in the likely context that the Chinese government not only sees what pushing EV manufacturing can do for pollution in China, but, also what pushing "high-quality development" of EV mfg in China can do for scooping up massive amounts of market share for EVs in the rest of the world that the Germans, Japanese, Koreans, and most of US is largely leaving wide open for the taking.

(fwiw, Tesla's SR and SR+ Model 3s should be fine with the 250 mile cutoff given less stringent range testing for Chinese rating than EPA).

Last edited:

For myself, I would rather have effective public transit than individual transportation. That said, in the US at least it isn't currently realistic as the culture both values individual transport and denigrates public transit. Taken as a whole, the attitude is close to "only the poor, homeless and criminal use public transportation." And it doesn't help that much of the public transportation here is inefficient and run down which further helps to reduce its appeal.

So Tesla is supplying a compromise: it improves on the current situation and is realistic insofar as it is acceptable to much of the population. Opposing it as "not enough" is allowing the absence of perfection to preclude progress.

My guess would be that they saw companies were making crap EVs to soak up the subsidy, so they are putting requirements on getting the subsidy on making good EVs.

This is, to put it mildly, insane. Today is now the biggest Tesla day in Norway--by almost 10%--and the day's not yet over.

I repeat something I mentioned last week: Norway has a population around half of the Chicago metro area. They've now registered just shy of 4,300 Tesla vehicles in the past 26 days.
Damn I feel proud to be half Norwegian... with the other half Australian, my relatives are supporting both Tesla Motors and Tesla Energy! Got it covered both up over and down under!

So Tesla is supplying a compromise: it improves on the current situation and is realistic insofar as it is acceptable to much of the population. Opposing it as "not enough" is allowing the absence of perfection to preclude progress.
Yes - complete make over of US with robust public transportation and dense urban living will take decades & decades. We don't have that much time.

ps :

Meanwhile, this is where some of the GOP senators are at. Seriously.

Lee.PNG

Last edited:
This is one of the rare occasions I don't fully agree with you. I didn't observe a noticeable decline in the FUD. The Spiegel article in question is not quite as bad as it could be. But to a native German (full disclosure, I am one), this article is full of nastiness against Tesla disguised as "compliments".

Example:

"The driving in the Model 3 is - like always with Tesla - an ambiguous experience. Despite the efforts of CEO Musk to encourage his customers to renew their thinking, Tesla is locked into the old thinking itself. Having fun driving is important and even though the tuning isn't perfect, the Model 3 is getting damn close to the BMW3. Our test car accelerated in 3.5 seconds 0 to 60 and reaches a top speed of 250kph."

So these clowns are testing the PERFORMANCE version of the Model 3 and complain that performance is really "old and outdated thinking" and imply to any competent German reader that this ability to perform is somehow bad. At face value the fact may look generous: "Model 3 performs as well as the BMW M3" but if you read it, it is phrased as something to be disgusted about.

There are more examples like this in the article. Of course it is not the worst article possible. There are no outright lies in it, but it is far from being truly neutral (and even further from being positive).

To understand why they do this click here for a brief excursion into the state of German EV angst:
There are roughly two groups of people in Germany: Petrolheads & Greenies.
Petrol heads love mechanical engineering, hate electrics and love to tinker with their cars. These are the guys that made Mercedes, BMW & Co. great. They love the modern marvels called ICE engines and hate "primitive" and "simple" electric engines. They hate EVs since they think they don't have a "soul"

Greenies hate cars: they think that any car is bad and that nobody should be allowed to own a car but use the (excellent) public transport, bike and walk. They think that EVs don't provide a solution to congested inner cities and lack of parking spaces. They hate EVs since they are still cars.

In this climate EVs are attacked from both ends and myths like "a clean Diesel is still much better than any EV" and other nonsense like "we shouldn't invest in rare earth needing EVs but rather wait for fuel cell cars to arrive" and similar survive until today...

/end rant

Excellent translation with highlighting of important points.

But answer me this: Will one ever find a German who is unconditionally satisfied with anything?

In my experience the national sport in Germany is complaining. (Which is why everything tends to work better in Germany, otherwise the complaining gets way out of hand).

If that has some amount of truth to it, then something is lost in this literal translation (that I also attempted).

PS. Anecdote: To my occasional good ideas one Italian colleague would always answer: "Fantastic idea". The German one: "I principle, I have nothing against it".

For myself, I would rather have effective public transit than individual transportation. That said, in the US at least it isn't currently realistic as the culture both values individual transport and denigrates public transit. Taken as a whole, the attitude is close to "only the poor, homeless and criminal use public transportation." And it doesn't help that much of the public transportation here is inefficient and run down which further helps to reduce its appeal.

*Some* of that stigma is deserved(in the US, at least, haven’t tried public transit in other places). I’ve had two different encounters with violent people on public transit. One on a city bus where two men were arguing and then one of them pulled out a knife and started threatening everyone and another on VTA where a guy kept walking up to me, yelling at me, punching the walls and demanding I moved(regardless of where I moved to, he would follow).

Never experienced anything similar anywhere other than public transit. I’ll take my car, thank you very much.

"The driving in the Model 3 is - like always with Tesla - an ambiguous experience. Despite the efforts of CEO Musk to encourage his customers to renew their thinking, Tesla is locked into the old thinking itself. Having fun driving is important and even though the tuning isn't perfect, the Model 3 is getting damn close to the BMW3. Our test car accelerated in 3.5 seconds 0 to 60 and reaches a top speed of 250kph."

Yeah, this is one of the negative comments, and I don't think it will do a lot of damage:
  • It's not credible: best BMW M3 is 4.1 secs, and starts at €70k. Many people who consider the BMW M3 will try the Model 3 which has superior continuous acceleration and superior handling.
  • Power train is the strongest side of Tesla and it's the least effective FUD to attack it.
I really didn't see the negatives mentioned as "show stoppers" - and that's what matters IMO.