Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No he said the cost to hire a robotaxi would be $2-3/mile. But the robotaki operator is only paying $0.18/mile. ($0.36 if you cant that only half of the miles are productive.)

No, he said the current price of Uber/Lyft is $2-3/mile.

He said Tesla would charge something like a $1/mile.

Last edited:
Looks like Elon is betting the farm on self-driving. As far as owner cars in the Tesla fleet it was a bit confusing. So, I CAN purchase 3-4 cars and just run them on the Network? is that correct? Gross Revenue per car is approx 30K/Yr...is that what I heard?

I think Elon and his questioner were talking past each other on that question. Tesla is happy for you to spend your money buying a mini-fleet of Teslas and running them on the Tesla Network, they'll be pocketing the 25% thank you very much. You just won't be able to run them on your own rental network.

Looks like Elon is betting the farm on self-driving. As far as owner cars in the Tesla fleet it was a bit confusing. So, I CAN purchase 3-4 cars and just run them on the Network? is that correct? Gross Revenue per car is approx 30K/Yr...is that what I heard?

Yes, only on the Tesla Network... It will be a node on only the Tesla Network.. Uber, Lyft, or any other franchise would be left out of the opportunity. Likely there would be a limit, say 5-10 cars per operator...

Reactions: Scuttlebutt
One problem I have: why build the 2020 Roadster if the future is people not driving cars? Is the 2020 Roadster a horse just waiting to happen?

If the future is cars without steering wheels, why bother with Roadster, which seems like the "Ultimate Driving Machine" that out-BMWs BMW. But if the future is cars self-driving themselves, any Performance Tesla vehicle no longer makes sense, does it?

Sure, you could tap a setting and turn on "aggressive race car mode" but what's the fun in that if you are not in control of the vehicle? It's just a video game at that point.

1) Race tracks.

2) Prestige of being driven in an expensive car.

3) Long time IMO before people are banned from driving anyway. A lot of voters have cars with steering wheels. :)

One problem I have: why build the 2020 Roadster if the future is people not driving cars? Is the 2020 Roadster a horse just waiting to happen?

If the future is cars without steering wheels, why bother with Roadster, which seems like the "Ultimate Driving Machine" that out-BMWs BMW. But if the future is cars self-driving themselves, any Performance Tesla vehicle no longer makes sense, does it?

Sure, you could tap a setting and turn on "aggressive race car mode" but what's the fun in that if you are not in control of the vehicle? It's just a video game at that point.
Would be interesting to see what would happen if you had an M3 BMW with a great human driver and a model 3 performance Tesla without a driver compete on a racetrack. Kind of like Deep Blue and a human playing chess.

Place your bets!