Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It sounds like each production line they build from here on out will become more efficient than the last, but I am wondering how long it will take until they reach a similar efficiency to the traditional car manufacturers. As I understand it, they are still well behind them even with the model 3 at this point. Using info from Troy (Teslike), model 3 production in terms of vehicles produced per employee per year is at 64% compared with the original NUMMI factory. Maybe once they produce the cells and packs in the same building as the cars, the efficiency will take a big jump forward.

Is comparing to the NUMMI plant a fair comparison? Isn’t Tesla making more of their own parts (seats, motors, etc) compared to the other manufacturers just putting parts together?

I have a small position just for fun (and I do think it won't be a bad long-term investment). I added 100 shares today. The secret with investing worry-free is not to invest any money you can't afford to lose and don't be too attached to your money. That's why I wasn't buying new cars before I could afford them. When your needs are small, you can afford to invest with more gusto.

Losing what I have in TSLA is not going to bankrupt me, but still. No one likes the feeling of losing money. Better yet, no one likes the feeling that they could be buying the shares at a lower cost basis, or having their money sit in an company not making any money for 3 years (not that I have, but a lot of people here made nothing since the Model 3 reveal).

Reactions: X Fan
I understand most bulls are extremely disapponted at Q1 results, me too. But looking at the bright side, sentiments will improve next week when April sales figures are reported by InsideEV and others around May 1-3. The CFO Zachary already said on the call it will be a all-time record 1st month of quarter (hopefully by a large margin).

But personally I really hope Elon stop talking the P&D metric, Tesla already proved it can mass produce affordable EVs, so stop talking about it publicly unless necessary (only in quarterly letter / call), certainly not on twitter. Instead, talk about software, autopilot, fsd, streaming, half-million existing user base and growing -- making the cars as affordable as possible and making money on software and services (like AWS, like App Store...).

Tesla likely had around $1bn of undrawn credit lines at Q1 end, but drawings on this line were likely higher during the quarter. In Q4 it is more likely that much of the revolving credit line was repaid for most of the quarter to reduce interest expense, but drawn at the end of Q4 to increase cash balance.
Looks more like they paid back much of the draws. Any connection to the re-evaluations/write-offs of RVGs and the residual for TALTs A&B?

At the current state of technology, "recycling" Li-Ion cells (regardless of CO content) does not include recovering the metals in sufficient purity for reuse in new cells. "Re-cycling" means melting down the cells to produce, among the by-products, an amalgam of the elemental metals that is difficult/un-economical to separate, so it is stored by re-cyclers in anticipation that soon an economical, environmentally benign process (smelting is not) can be developed. Perhaps JB and Redwood Recycling will find a solution.
I think technology has advanced.
The metal solids may contain various amounts of copper, aluminum, and cobalt (depending on the type of Li-Ion battery processed), which can all be used as raw materials in new products. The metal-enriched liquid is solidified using filtering technology, and is sent off-site for further metal purification.
http://www.retrievtech.com/recycling/lithium-ion

To achieve a recycling rate of more than 80%, Fortum uses a low-CO2 hydro-metallurgical recycling process. First, the batteries are made safe for mechanical treatment, then the plastics, aluminium, and copper inside are separated and directed to their own recycling areas.

The chemical and mineral components of the battery form a “black mass” that is a mixture of lithium, manganese, cobalt, and nickel in different ratios. Nickel and cobalt are the most valuable, but are also the most difficult to recover. Using technology developed by Finnish company Crisolteq, Fortum uses chemical precipitation methodology that allows these minerals to be recovered and delivered to battery manufacturers for use in new batteries.
Fortum Process Recycles 80% Of EV Battery Materials | CleanTechnica

Uhhh. This is the worst. This basically confirms the downward channel will continue.

Worst case scenario for every outcome. Now we move on to the next grim rule of investing. Bad news comes in triplets.

The judge pretty much already cleared Elon. The negotiation is non news. Anyone really expect this negotiation has Elon not being the CEO as a possible outcome? This is all they investors care about.

It sounds like each production line they build from here on out will become more efficient than the last, but I am wondering how long it will take until they reach a similar efficiency to the traditional car manufacturers. As I understand it, they are still well behind them even with the model 3 at this point. Using info from Troy (Teslike), model 3 production in terms of vehicles produced per employee per year is at 64% compared with the original NUMMI factory. Maybe once they produce the cells and packs in the same building as the cars, the efficiency will take a big jump forward.

That's a good question and I don't know the answer. Is it unfair to compare Tesla's car production efficiency with NUMMI's? Calling @neroden, @KarenRei, @Fact Checking.

You can't really compare without knowing what % of value added it does. Tesla is a lot more vertically integrated than the old NUMMI plant was.

Large institutions see this as another reason to sell. There is just so much confusion. Why? Just why. Pretty soon Elon will lose credibility with customers. It’s just silly and creates unnecessary fud
My guess is this is equivalent to store “sales” as a demand lever, a good reason for folks on the fence to hit the buy button. Dealers do this every other day and noone complain? Nothing to worry about.

Reactions: PANN
Durant was in and out of control of GM 2 or was it 3 times?
Ford at one point talked of starting another company,
to drive the stock down and buy control.
100 million I think it cost him.

Kaiser was stubborn, headstrong, wouldnt listen
Shied away from CAPEX
Put forklift motors in the cars.

Not an issue with world beater tesla.
Nothing is off the table in this biz.

Why wouldnt goog or Apple make a move?
Silicon Valley egos?

M3 vs M3
A Little light lunch
Fun to imagine how livid they are about this

Attachments

• top gear.PNG
    top gear.PNG
    514.1 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Lol, you have an oddly selective view. Yesterday Elon said the stock market is manic depressive. I think this proves he reads this forum. o_O

Firstly, he deliberately focused on US deliveries in 2018H2 in order to maximize US residents access to incentives. I believe his words last year were "We will do the right thing". That was a choice, and was motivated by good will. Same as Tesla sending powerwalls on priority delivery to Puerto Rico. The man is altruistic beyond doubt.

2019Q1 was a good plan, with a reasonable chance of success. Biggest hiccup was Panasonic under-delivering bty cells. To remedy that, Tesla will buy Maxwell becoming the sole source of the world's most advanced lithium battery cells. But it'll take time. Elon's will take that time. Will you? He says 'Maxwell bty day' will be later this year or next. That's how long it'll take. For reals.

Second biggest hiccup was delayed deliveries. 1-time teething pains can be expected, but not planned for in advance. But now those extra Euros and Yuan are safely in the bank, and production, shipments, and deliveries will go forward in a steadier stream.

Tesla doesn't need a capital raise urgently, they started Q2 with $2.2 B in cash and guided for positive FCF in Q2. With GF3/Shanghai already funded from local ABS bonds, there's no financial pressure there either, just tremendous latent demand for the best EV in the world. Let's wait and see what capital requirements are for Model Y production. Should be decided in a few weeks. Then the capital requirements can be assessed.

As far as "seriously raised uncertainty about the sustainable demand levels", Tesla was working on a major S/X production refit throughout Q1. So the problem is just they didn't tell everyone in advance? Osbourne here often? Or is it supposed to happened overnight?

Look I understand you feel disappointed in Q1 but both Elon and Tesla are working in good faith as fast as possible. NOT ONE SINGLE other company on earth made even remotely similar progress in even the past 10 years as Tesla did in the last 2 quarters.

Tesla and Elon should be congratulated for their achievement, not micro-managed by Thursday-morning Quarterbacks. Elon also this has long-standing guidance for investors: "If you don't like volatility, sell our stock".

Cheers!

God (Zeus, Hercules, Groot, Oprah, Ryan Reynolds - whomever you follow) bless you!

Uhhh. This is the worst. This basically confirms the downward channel will continue.

Worst case scenario for every outcome. Now we move on to the next grim rule of investing. Bad news comes in triplets.
Oh man, could it get any worse? Where do you see SP bottoming out tomorrow, $125? $115?

The statement said progress is being made. The judge seems reasonable.
The statement said progress is being made. The judge seems reasonable.

ya just not in a good mood. TA wise the delay means down channel continues and the positives from a resolution of such a thing diminishes overtime as it fades from the news.

What reagents/compounds are used in "... technology developed by Finnish company Crisolteq, Fortum ...[uses for]...chemical precipitation methodology that allows these minerals to be recovered and delivered to battery manufacturers for use in new batteries?

Existing {un-advanced?} technology has relied on Pyrometallurgy, which "is a branch of extractive metallurgy. It consists of the thermal treatment of minerals and metallurgical ores and concentrates to bring about physical and chemical transformations in the materials to enable recovery of valuable metals."

Even the press release from Fortum Recycling and Waste cites only "a recycling rate of more than 80%" There is a major distinction in waste recovery between "re-cycling" and "recover-reuse" A large percentage of the Li-Ion components "re-cycled" are simply road fill compounds. Do you have any links to peer-reviewed independent scientific assessments by respected chemists or physicists of the efficacy and economics of the Crisolteq technology?

On a related matter, did you notice the share price of UMICY, a Belgian supplier of cathode chemicals, got hammered this week?
Subscribe to read | Financial Times