Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WOW! The shorts are posting a lot this weekend.
I can't agree with #1 but #2 and #3 can be net positives. Also, something to think about, as institutions exit, large entities such as Saudi's, Ellison, foreign investment funds, Tencent, come pick up shares on the cheap. These are people that don't really care, they have crazy amounts of money and are willing to part with it for a chance of something huge. These same people will help with a cap raise via equity. Easy peasy. That is one thing that is giving me confidence
It's great to have confidence but what if Elon/Tesla doesn't change at all? Are we in for another 40 percent decline because of some errant tweet(I know folks are getting tired of hearing this but it happened and can happen again)? This is what institutions are wondering and especially now with yet another SEC plan, will Elon comply(doubtful) or will he be entrapped by some short sellers etc. etc. Im sounding like a broken record but more than anything they need to address their abysmal messaging(which I think we're pretty much in agreement with) and if Elon plays teenager games on twitter can't see that happening.

elon isn't a 60+ dude in a suit like 95% of auto CEOs seem to be. So he is kinda stupid on twitter. So? Welcome to 2019. Most auto CEOs probably had their grandchildren set up their twitter account.
I dont think tesla should apologise for being the one car company on earth whose CEO somehow manages to be in touch with young people and what they talk about/care about.
If you want to invest in a steady, old-school traditional auto company, go buy some Ford stock. Dont expect it to keep you in retirement though...

The mods need to start deleting posts. This forum is impossible to keep up with and still have a life. I just scrolled through about 50 posts FROM THE SAME MEMBER that all said the same thing... "Elon shouldn't tweet".
I started coming here in December to find Tesla news. I have wasted way too much of my life the last few months reading useless posts (like this one). I'll go back to Electrek, Clean Technica and Teslarati for news. I'll check back in when we're back up to 300 and everyone is in a better mood. Good luck to all the longs.

Would it be such a bad thing if the forum throttled posts so everyone could only post X times per day? Ideally that would be scaled somewhat based on how many of those posts were considered informative.

There are those that comply to not risk what they have. Then there are those that are willing to risk everything to change the status quo for everyone which in turn will result with those risk averse to happily comply to the new status quo.

As long s the status quo isn't a US govt. agency and you're not risking 40k employees, billions of dollars invested by share holders etc.

Bingo. I couldn’t tell you one ad I watched on TV last night and what it was about. However, I do remember the very first time seeing a Tesla, talking to an owner.....and ESPECIALLY driving one.

That being said, I do remember some funny commercials from over the years. Never made me want to buy what they were selling though.

Most people say that. Yet, advertising moves the sales needle.

Sameway most people say they are better than average drivers or are smarter than average.

You can't fix that. Especially if they are completely bogus allegations. No amount of advertising or whatever is going to combat that. The media is happy to eat up this stuff. They are essentially complaints about S and X since Model 3 wasn't even in sale in China until this year.

FUD is going to go to maximum over the next three to six months until Tesla shows signs of profitable quarters again. So the solution is to sell a lot of Model 3s profitably with high quality control. The arguments against Tesla melt away pretty quickly after that.

Totally agree. But the cars won’t be purchased if people only read negative press. Around these parts that is becoming a real problem. In my military days we would have called this a “target rich environment”. Federal and provincial incentives, decent main corridor Supercharger coverage (although no where near as good as Chademo and CCS hence the need for a Chademo adapter), high price of gas, huge middle class, mild climate. But we are seeing it all the time now. More Leafs, more Bolts, but Tesla???, “didn’t they go under last year”.

Real story. Last week at work walking thru the shop. About 8 employees talking about what EV they would buy with conversation going something like this.

“Tesla’s are cool but I would rather buy a Bolt made in North America then see my money go overseas to an Italian company”. I had to stop and correct him but he then corrected me and told me that no, they are assembled in California but all the parts come from Italy. I was busy, had to leave it at “you might want to research that”

How about a little PR indicating that these cars are built in North America with American labour run by North American power made by North American water falling over North American turbines...or (eek) American coal generation.

Potential customer communications? Fail. We have tried for eight months to get clarification on whether there will be a Chademo adapter for the model 3. Not an important issue for most but it is for us because of where we travel in the province. We have tried phone, email to various addresses, opened a twitter account to try Elon directly, smoke signals, whatever. Our Vancouver sales rep assured us that we need not worry as it would be out in a couple months as it already existed for the S and the X and just needed to be tweaked for the three. That was 6 months ago. Seriously? I get it, it’s not important for most buyers but it makes the difference between staying an all EV family for us or having to get a gasser if we go to a Tesla model 3. Sorry. Can’t afford a model S...and it would be tight in the garage.

I love and support Elon and would bear his children...and that’s a trick because

A. I’m a dude
B. My wife is a retired soldier who would kick his ass.

But they need to put some basics of a successful car company in place.

Communications team
Public relations Team.

Just sayin.

As long s the status quo isn't a US govt. agency and you're not risking 40k employees, billions of dollars invested by share holders etc.

It boils down to this: Do you believe Tesla will be bankrupt?

If not, then just suck it up, and let it play out toward the company mission statement.

I personally don't think Tesla will go bankrupt. They've passed that chasms before - roadsters, ramping of S to 5k/month, and ramping of 3's. They're generating revenue, and most of the profits go back into the company for growth. Thus if there's any financial issue, at worst is that they can slow down the growth, and the vision will be delayed, but the company will not go bankrupt.

So with this perspective, these shareholder's billions invested should be held until the vision is realized, not the day-to-day or month-to-month stock price movement which you agree are manipulated by the media, oil/auto/dealership industries, etc. As the mission is realized at each step, there'll be an inflection where the FUD will have no effect, and the profits will be huge.

Mark my words!

Actually, downtown Phoenix is too difficult for Waymo. Waymo operates in a 100 square mile area of Chandler, Tempe, Mesa, Gilbert and some adjacent suburban type areas in Phoenix. And it has to be preapproved points inside that 100 square mile area. You can't pick random points inside that geofenced area.

+1

Couple the fact that most of Phoenix metroplex is a simple grid whereby most metro areas are not.

Brace yourselves...this is gonna be a bumpy ride:

"Am considering taking Tesla private at $420. Funding secured."

“Am considering” doesn’t sound like a 100% done deal to me. And yes, I purchased about 50k worth of shares at that time too. I should have sold those in December but didn’t. I can only blame myself for that one.

At least some, if not most, of this current action is a REALLY intense bear attack with heavy shorting focused on ripping down through the $250 support. That obviously then triggered some substantial selling. Not saying there isn't institutional selling, but this stock is uniquely traded as a result of being poorly distributed with consolidated insider ownership and heavy short interest. At times, that dynamic produces big drops that can look like heavy institutional selling even though it's really basically an intense bear attack. This is why TSLA is so intensely volatile, with huge drops and rapid climbs. Take a look at this chart from July 2017 when there wasn't even any news going on, just an orchestrated bear raid surrounding the July 4th holiday. Stock rapidly dropped from $386 to $306 (21%). This was near the ATH level, so there certainly was some profit taking, but the point remains. High volume red candles yet it wasn't because institutional longs were dumping. Look at the rapid recovery over just 5 weeks. That's just TSLA.

Screen Shot 2019-04-28 at 3.06.57 PM.png