Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just shows us how far we have to grow. from 2% to 100% exponentially. It will take time, but it is happening. Is this timeframe realistic?.
2013 - 0.5% EV
2019 - 2.0% EV (4X increase over previous six years)
2025 - 8.0% EV (4X increase over previous six years)
2031 - 16.0% EV (4X increase over previous six years)
2037 - 32.0% EV (4X increase over
previous six years)
2043 - 64.0% EV (4X increase over previous six years)
2044 - 100% EV

I don’t think it’s likely as straightforward as that. It should follow an “S” curve. Seemingly exponential growth followed by asymptotically approaching 100%.

Just shows us how far we have to grow. from 2% to 100% exponentially. It will take time, but it is happening. Is this timeframe realistic?.
2013 - 0.5% EV
2019 - 2.0% EV (4X increase over previous six years)
2025 - 8.0% EV (4X increase over previous six years)
2031 - 16.0% EV (4X increase over previous six years)
2037 - 32.0% EV (4X increase over
previous six years)
2043 - 64.0% EV (4X increase over previous six years)
2044 - 100% EV
If you are really meaning 4x every 6 years:
2031 should be 32%
2037 should be 128%

How can a mobility services enterprise survive without some control over expenses? Controlling labor costs is only part of the problem of competing against an autonomous EV mobility services company that has expanding vertical integration.

If you don't make the vehicles and don't have a position in the vehicle fuel costs and don't have a position in the business insurance and don't have a communications network and foundational NN expertise... Really, how competitive can you be?

Ask AOL how that worked out for them. Dial-up technologies only worked so long.

Going for more than 100% markup is asking for govt intervention to break up the monopoly.
To clarify this a bit, monopolies are perfectly legal. But with monopoly status in one area comes the obligation not to abuse that position in a different area. This was the basis of the Sherman Anti-trust Act in the late 1800s. ("anti-trust" -> "we trusted you not to abuse your power" :) ).

The case I'm most familiar with was the breakup of AT&T. They had an effective monopoly on all telephone services, but they (allegedly) abused that in two ways: 1. They got into the computer industry, selling their own computers and the Unix operating system, and 2. they had an effective monopoly on "the last mile", the wires going into homes and businesses, and used that to keep the long-distance business. Historical aside: how many of you knew that Sprint stands for "Southern Pacific Railroad Internal Networking Telephony"?

Another example was the "browser wars", where Microsoft had an effective monopoly on the operating system, and tried to make it impossible to remove Internet Explorer from the system, hurting other browsers. They didn't have to break up the company.

I would argue that Tesla isn't even close to having a monopoly position, even if you ignore non-BEV cars.

Having said that, if FSD is really the only truly usable self-driving technology (or even just dominates, say 90% of the self-driving cars), then insisting that owners can only rent out through Tesla's network would be a pretty clear restraint of trade action.

Having said that, if FSD is really the only truly usable self-driving technology (or even just dominates, say 90% of the self-driving cars), then insisting that owners can only rent out through Tesla's network would be a pretty clear restraint of trade action.

Given that it all relies on Tesla's back end infrastucture, I'm not seeing how it is restraint. This feature only works due to their ecosystem, without Tesla servers to talk to the car, you get no destination information pushes (app location). I suppose you could make it an open API, but that sounds like a security (and safety) nightmare that Jonas would love to ask about again.

James Chen from Rivian testified during the Texas House hearings on the bill that imperiled our Service Centers, and from the representatives' comments it sounds like he was pretty effective. I’m sure Rivian is engaged.

James is great. He used to be at Tesla, on the policy/legislative team, fighting the dealer franchises for Tesla.

They were both generally sympathetic, but did express the need to collect at least moderate fees from electric car owners to help fund road repairs.
Then the correct response to them is: charge $1000 for ALL registration fees, and abolish the gas tax. Gas tax will eventually bring in $0 revenue...might as well be ahead of that curve. See how they respond.

The case I'm most familiar with was the breakup of AT&T. They had an effective monopoly on all telephone services, but they (allegedly) abused that in two ways: 1. They got into the computer industry, selling their own computers and the Unix operating system, and 2. they had an effective monopoly on "the last mile", the wires going into homes and businesses, and used that to keep the long-distance business.

This is what the wiki says. Surprisingly I couldn't find good detailed sources on the reasons for the anti-trust action. I don't remember Unix being a reason for anti-trust. But, because of the case, Unix was licensed out by AT&T.

In the 1970s, the Federal Communications Commission suspected that the American Telephone & Telegraph Company was using monopoly profits from its Western Electric subsidiary to subsidize the costs of its network, which was contrary to U.S. antitrust law. (Yurick, p. 7)

ps : Cybertelecom :: AT&T AntiTrust

Then the correct response to them is: charge $1000 for ALL registration fees, and abolish the gas tax. Gas tax will eventually bring in $0 revenue...might as well be ahead of that curve. See how they respond.

Well if they did that, the owners of EVs will still have much higher bills for electricity then ICE drivers. And that electricity is taxed. The problem is that electric taxes are not designated for road repair, while gasoline taxes are. Of course that could be changed.

Meanwhile retirees and other low mileage drivers would be unfairly penalized by a flat fee. They may stop buying cars, and just use taxis and their equivalents.

Lurking behind all of this is the fact that road damage is almost entirely due to large trucks. And that industry contributes to election campaigns and lobbies governments to spread a disproportionate share of taxes and fees to the drivers of cars.

They were both generally sympathetic, but did express the need to collect at least moderate fees from electric car owners to help fund road repairs.
I think the best response would be to show that other states are charging much less. Also, how much does Prius owner driving the avg miles pay in taxes ? EVs shouldn't be paying more than that ...

Reactions: neroden
This is what the wiki says. Surprisingly I couldn't find good detailed sources on the reasons for the anti-trust action. I don't remember Unix being a reason for anti-trust. But, because of the case, Unix was licensed out by AT&T.
This is why I know so much about the case. It was before the breakup, and while they had only a handful of commercial licenses, they were charging a lot ($20,000 from memory) for them, and IBM complained.

I believe HCR (Human Computing Resources) in Toronto was the first commercial (that is non-academic) licensee. This ad is from after the breakup but HCR was an established business well before that, doing all sorts of Unix consulting.
The Wollongong Group - Wikipedia was around from the late 70s as well. I was peripherally involved with both companies and spent time at Bell Labs.

Mod: Off topic. Stop. --ggr.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and capster
Elon Musk's Hefty Anti-LIDAR Gamble Undermines Tesla Chances Of Survival

Forbes FUD based on the premise that the contrarian is generally wrong. Everybody else is using lidar, therefore Tesla not using it is probably wrong.

Fails to discuss the issue that to solve self driving you must solve vision, and if you have solved vision, lidar is a useless appendage.

Further, even if Tesla lose the FSD race, survival is not at stake. The winner, should it not be Tesla, will pay handsomely for a million mile lowest cost per mile vehicle.