Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ya know. If that’s what it takes, more power to them. But if THAT doesn’t work, I don’t know what their path forward is.

I don't know why they need to join forces for parts, but for charging stations it makes sense to have a single standard that all cars could use. If you want the widest possible EV adoption, that is. So whenever you come across one you can use it regardless of make.

"Small portion of stupid people" said by a guy who went to a top University in Beijing. You are literally imposing your situation, which accounts to be the smallest segment of kids in China, as the general consensus. That's like kids who graduated from MIT and works at Google see the world.

The majority of kids in Beijing are not wealthy or can work for Alibaba and rely on their parents..not the other way around.

Don't forget the price point of Tesla. There's probably a large intersection between the set of young people who make their own decisions and the ones who can afford (and would want) a Tesla. Poorer kids aren't getting expensive cars. Richer kids still dependent on their parents for cars aren't getting Teslas but whatever brand their parents view as "prestige" brands - probably Porsche, Mercedes, BMW.

Reactions: Remus
Tesla didn't have a choice and so had to - but it would be foolish to think there won't be safety and synergies in numbers for established makers.
It’s usually the opposite unless one of them is accepted as the leader. This move will lead to more wasteful resilience allocation, doubling or in this case tripling of certain roles who will each argue with each other over small details.

Joining with Rivals
They are out of their comfort zone with the tech, need more brains
Haven't got answers yet.

Share CAPEX risks

All fear the Demand Unknown
The great unanswered question
as all of this is new and different
which to them is new and threatening.

But mainly, I suspect the subplot is Batteries.
Already an issue, and a limiter of growth

Wildcard:
A widespread movement to nuclear power
would make the entire premise moot.

Don't forget the price point of Tesla. There's probably a large intersection between the set of young people who make their own decisions and the ones who can afford (and would want) a Tesla. Poorer kids aren't getting expensive cars. Richer kids still dependent on their parents for cars aren't getting Teslas but whatever brand their parents view as "prestige" brands - probably Porsche, Mercedes, BMW.

Yes but the initial post was about why I think the Chinese government limit plates in Beijing. # of plates had nothing to do with the addressable market.

Other possibilities for the extra 10 GWh’s in 2nd half of this year are:
1) S&X refresh
2) Semi
3) Pickup (much less likely I think)
4) Surprise product

Those 10 GWh’s have to go somewhere and Tesla only projects 1-2 additional GWh’s for Tesla Energy and no more than 7k Model 3’s / week (which should be covered by existing 24 GWh/year capacity).

Let’s call it the great 10 GWh use case guessing game.
1) I hope not. Using GF1 expansion for S/X would be quite disappointing
2) Fleet buyers test a few units for 12-18 months before buying in quantity
3) Agree, pickup is after Y
4) Shipping a product they haven't even teased would be a huge departure

They may ship Model 3 packs and drive units to Shanghai during ramp up, then switch that capacity over to Y next year after they qualify a Chinese cell provider.

Schwab raised margin requirements to 75 percent for my Tesla position today.

That's a load of crap.

I don't understand why people like margin so much. Margin is drug. There are two things hurt retail investors the most: Wall Street manipulation and margin. Unfortunately SEC doesn't care.

William O'Neil (a very smart guy) talked about when to use margin, when to avoid it. I suggest everyone read it. Don't argue with O'Neil, just follow his advice.

Interactive Brokers raised theirs from 30% to 40% this week.

I assume this works for both longs and shorts though. Can someone correct me if I am wrong (or confirm if I am right)?

correct. margin is margin.
even though you’re shorting something, say a put contract, there’s a minimum requirement of collateral you need to absorb an adverse directional move. that tightens with an increase in margin requirement

1) I hope not. Using GF1 expansion for S/X would be quite disappointing
They could be planning to do this temporarily - it was reported a few weeks ago that Panasonic will upgrade the Japanese plants to 2170 within a year, and that lines up with the S/X upgrade rumours. So Tesla could use gigafactory cells from the US for the initial new S/X packs while waiting for the Japanese plant upgrades to be completed.

Wow, especially that last sentence. Can you tweet this and/or get one of the TMC folks with a good twitter following to tweet it, like @SPadival , @KarenRei , @Lycanthrope, etc ?

Done: Lycanthrope on Twitter

Go give it some love!

F*ck - should've proof-read your text first - now I look like a moron! :mad::confused::D

upload_2019-6-5_20-18-24.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-5_20-18-6.png
    upload_2019-6-5_20-18-6.png
    459.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited: