Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If there were 2.4m shares net covered yesterday the share price would have moved a lot higher. Total volume traded was only 5m shares.

Why do people keeping putting faith in Ihors numbers??? He's been proven wrong multiple times. Like you mentioned, there's no way 2.4 million shares were covered yesterday when you consider the price gain and volume for the day.

Spiegel's TSLA position is probably worth less than $10m, or to use @schonelucht monetary units: Spiegel's fund is worth about half a mousenut.

If Tesla was a micro cap then Spiegel would probably already have been squeezed out of his short position years ago, and he would have plenty of access to toilets in his day job to support his triple digit net worth.

But TSLA won't get bid up to squeeze a $10m position, as those with $100m and $1,000m and $10,000m positions would probably resist. :D

Spiegel, a Trump supporter, is a classic conspiracy theory nutjob grown on modern social media. The difference is that while most of the other peddlers of conspiracy theories try to maintain a healthy degree of separation from the truth value of their con and gain their income through advertising, merchandise and outright scamming of supporters; Spiegel seems to believe his own scam and has invested accordingly - which won't end well if we are right. :cool:

True that. But we are overlooking the potenyialbof someone doing it for a giggle. Especially once the big whale shorts have safely gotten out. Spiegel doesn't seem to be a fund manager with connections that will give him any early warnings.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
So apparently there's no more FSD or Enhanced Autopilot on any CPO Teslas:

No more FSD for any "CPO" Teslas

There's speculation in that thread that they're just testing what the value of FSD/Enhanced Autopilot are in the market, but I did notice that all AP 1.0 vehicles that previously had Autopilot still currently have 'Autopilot with convenience features' still listed on them.

Pure speculation here, but I think that there's a small possibility that Tesla believes the value of Full Self Driving (based off of increased/improved feature set) is going to increase somewhat significantly in the near future, and that's why they have removed it from all CPO Tesla's they currently have on hand.

typically stay out of ER moves, but ive got a 280 put to cover a drop against my 100 shares, looking to pick up a handful of 275-80 calls later today. bullish on ER, but can trust media to not it somehow
Looks like short sellers are selling:

$TSLA short int is $10.17 bn; 39.10 mm shs shorted; 29.69% of float; 0.90% borrow fee. Shs shorted are down -1.7 mm, -4.10%, over the past week as stock price rose +3.09%. We saw 2.4 mm shs of short covering yesterday. Shorts are down -$1.50 bn in mark-to-market losses in July

Ihor Dusaniwsky on Twitter
Just sold non-core holding. Thank you, euphoria, thank you so much :p

Reactions: CorneliusXX
Pure speculation here, but I think that there's a small possibility that Tesla believes the value of Full Self Driving (based off of increased/improved feature set) is going to increase somewhat significantly in the near future, and that's why they have removed it from all CPO Tesla's they currently have on hand.

Thanks for cutting out the part immediately beforehand... my full sentence was:

"Pure speculation here, but I think that there's a small possibility that Tesla believes the value of Full Self Driving (based off of increased/improved feature set) is going to increase somewhat significantly in the near future, and that's why they have removed it from all CPO Tesla's they currently have on hand."

Last edited by a moderator:
That was already confirmed in the latest impact report:

With 431K sq ft of manufacturing space, Tesla’s Lathrop facility in California hosts computer numerical control (CNC) operations, machining and castings manufacturing.​
There are two facilities in Lathrop. The older one is the manufacturing space (I think). The new one is huge and has been describes here as being a parts facility. I've never bought that. First it's too large. Also I would locate parts warehouses distributed around the country.

There's speculation in that thread that they're just testing what the value of FSD/Enhanced Autopilot are in the market, but I did notice that all AP 1.0 vehicles that previously had Autopilot still currently have 'Autopilot with convenience features' still listed on them.

It doesn't really make sense to sell CPOs with EAP, since that feature no longer exists on new cars. I assume these CPOs will include AP, just like new ones.

It also makes sense to turn FSD off unless a customer wants it enough to pay extra for it. Why burden themselves with a free board swap obligation?

Thanks for cutting out the part immediately beforehand... my full sentence was:

"Pure speculation here, but I think that there's a small possibility that Tesla believes the value of Full Self Driving (based off of increased/improved feature set) is going to increase somewhat significantly in the near future, and that's why they have removed it from all CPO Tesla's they currently have on hand."

it definitely seems like tesla is trying to find a market value for FSD and EAP, and imo your "pure speculation" is spot on.

I just need $268 to get back above even. I'm not even going to pretend to know what's going to happen tonight but it will only matter until Q3 results, and then that will only matter until Q4 results.

The opponents of Tesla say it's a car manufacturer and should be valued as such. If Tesla proves FC FSD (mods have repeatedly said not to discuss in detail what this means so just bear with me) Tesla then becomes a growth service company, and I really don't think quarterly results matter much for another decade as they should - imho - raise tons of money and build cars they don't sell and factories all over the world as fast as possible. My guess is once they do proof of concept unveiling the stock with sky rocket, which will afford them to raise boatloads more money and give up less equity than now. Raising 10 billions when the price is 240 vs raising 10 billion with the price is 1000 makes a world of a difference. Quarterly results become meaningless unless they have solidified a grasp of marketshare in various markets.

There are two facilities in Lathrop. The older one is the manufacturing space (I think). The new one is huge and has been describes here as being a parts facility. I've never bought that. First it's too large. Also I would locate parts warehouses distributed around the country.
Lathrop has always been manufacturing plus some warehousing. Previous 10-Ks listed four separate facilities, the most recent one combined the three leased buildings into a single item:

Lathrop, California 885,867 sqft Warehouse and manufacturing (leased)
Lathrop, California 496,888 sqft Manufacturing (owned)

It then says: "We will begin leasing …. a 0.9 million square feet warehouse and manufacturing facility in Lathrop, California for an initial term of 11.5 years upon construction completion...".

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Lathrop has always been manufacturing plus some warehousing. Previous 10-Ks listed four separate facilities, the most recent one combined the three leased buildings into a single item:

Lathrop, California 885,867 sqft Warehouse and manufacturing (leased)
Lathrop, California 496,888 sqft Manufacturing (owned)

It then says: "We will begin leasing …. a 0.9 million square feet warehouse and manufacturing facility in Lathrop, California for an initial term of 11.5 years upon construction completion...".
Thanks

Either that or they feel CPO cars have become more desirable/valuable.

Call me a creature of habit, dry powder available ready for the obligatory SP drop following the ER call. :)
A drop could be a possibility based just on financials (minus FCF), which will definitely be peddled by CNBC for the next few days.
But there are also forward looking statements, such as projections for Q3 / H2 deliveries and an update on GF3. Could those overpower in a short term?

ARK will probably be allowed to talk about FCF on CNBC on day 4 after the ER.