Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. In fact, 10K/week has been the number I've been using for breakeven since 2008.

As long as Tesla management gets their heads out of their asses about the service communications problems (currently their heads are DEEP in their asses), they'll be golden at 10K/week.

I'm worried they're in too much of a bubble and will never realize what's destroying their (our) company, namely service communications disasters. This is my ONLY concern as an investor.

They got about 3 years to fix this problem.
The majority of the car sold are Model 3. SR is again the majority in 3. So These are pretty recent cars that shouldn't have problems for 3 more years.

When that time do indeed come and service is still nowhere... Man are we in a tough spot because they are pouring every profit they make into FSD.

Well, that's it for this reunion. Until next quarter guys.

Reactions: Matias
Having attended the shareholder's meeting, I instantly realized JB was leaving when he and Drew were brought onstage by Elon. It was obvious, and it was my first thought.

Hearing Elon joke about S and X spelling SEXY just now on the call and hearing him say S/X in the same breath are not that important in the long term is really shocking. Makes me think their days are numbered.

Musk talking about word-of-mouth marketing. (Hasn't noticed the bad word-of-mouth coming from being unable to get anyone on the phone.)

He's SO close to getting it right.

"You have to have a service location that's reasonable... so, like, you don't have to drive 5 hours..."

Mapping driving time from customers to service centers based on existing customers. Great. So they're trying to minimize some kind of 90th-percentile-time-to-service-center calculation -- great idea.

(Still forgetting about new customers, but still, that's OK for now. We have plenty of existing customers in Ithaca; they just brought it down from 5 hours to 3 hours, but closer would be better.)

So that's great, but it's very important to have the phones answered! I could not figure out how to reach the newly opened service center.

Supercharging -- "you need 100% of the routes". (So where's North Dakota?)

Rrrrrgh. He's so close, how do we get through the bubble and explain the communications problem to him?
---

Parts question. Apparently the parts are already in stock (working capital has already been committed), they just have to have them at the service centers. (They didn't mention the giant parts warehouse though!)

Last edited:
Anybody done any estimation on how much they need to sell to reach breakeven? is 10k/week enough?

They are already making a 19% profit on every car they sell so it depends upon how much they want to spend on growth and other initiatives. The faster they want to grow production, the more they need to sell to pay for that growth.

IMHO:

People need to stop asking about service, and ask about communications.

People say service when they often mean communications.

I think you're right. Do we have to wait until Q3 to ask, though? Anyone got another pathway to communicate through?

The problem with communications problems (as opposed to other sorts of problems) is that it can be very hard to make management aware of the communications problems -- *because* of the communications problems.

---

OK, it's over. Pretty bad call.