Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
does somebody know if there is a thread/sheet with the sales numbers for month 1 & 2 of Q3? with the main countries? NL, NO, BE, DE, USA etc? (where the numbers are verifiable)
The best overall collection of July/August sales numbers (plus September estimates) comes from the dearly beloved Anton Wahlman, as published on every TSLA investor's favorite web site:
August Numbers Are In For Tesla: Here's A Path To A Disappointing 97,000 For Q3 - Tesla, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha

All this talk about Porsche has made me go look up some facts and figures. Here's their 2018 annual report summary:
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/ann...performance/brief-overview-fy-2018-17172.html
(I note that their investor relations web page is basically empty... it took me a while to find it.)

Firstly, they've been growing more than I realized. I thought they were relatively static, but in four years total deliveries went from ~190k to ~256k, 7.9% CAGR. However:

Macan: 17.8% CAGR (smaller, cheaper crossover form factor; their biggest seller)
Cayenne: 2% CAGR (could be considered a competitor to the Model X?, second biggest seller)
Panamera: 11.5% CAGR (actually was declining for 2014-2017, when a refresh came out and significantly boosted the numbers)
911: 3.9% CAGR
All else: flat or declining.

61% of their deliveries are SUVs (Macan/Cayenne).

Now, the way I see it, the Taycan is internal competition for both the Panamera and the 911. Suppose 1/4 of upgrading customers from those two marques switch to Taycan, that's about 18k customers, but it takes away from their existing customer base at the same time. With margins presumably lower on the Taycan (even with the higher price, that's to be expected for the first year or two), those people are neutral to the bottom line. To get to 40k (as someone suggested) Porsche would have to bring in 22k NEW customers in that part of the market, which is about 30% of their total Panamera/911/Taycan sales in 2018, again over and above their existing loyal customer base. And with very rare exceptions (looking at you, Jay Leno), none of those new customers will come from Tesla.

I don't see that happening. Even at Model S competitive pricing, which it isn't, I still don't see it.

I'll be interested to hear whether Porsche dealers are selling the Taycan the same way other dealers typically sell their electric vehicles, which is: "Wouldn't you rather have this smelly noisemaker? It's cheaper!". Or if they will actually try to sell it?

A successful Taycan furthers Tesla's goal of sustainable transport. In the meantime, Porsche's advertising and market validation (whether successful or not) adds to Tesla's market. Tesla is the winner here.

Considering Nissan's brand and customer loyalty is not even remotely close to Porsche. Lets agree to disagree.

Apple fans are extremely loyal. I am one. If Apple were to put out an EV, twice as expensive with lower specs to a comparable size Tesla, even diehard Apple fans would realise they open themselves to ridicule if they buy it.

It’s the computer on wheels thing. To build a great EV requires experts from many fields. No ICE company has that expertise. No computer company has it either. Tesla is unique. Perhaps the market started to work it out today. Thank you Taycan for being so illuminating.

Eventually, prices for Taycan will align more or less with Panamera's $86k-$234k

Lower priced variants with rear wheel drive and more range are coming.

I see global annual sales in the 20k-30k range.
Did they actually say anything about more range? And wouldn't more range conflict with cheaper? The RWD variant might be a touch more efficient to give it a little more range, but I think that'll be all.

I agree with your sales range, but I also think most of those sales will be cannibalization.

"... John, that barista you've had a crush on, is currently working there, although he'll be leaving his shift in 30 minutes. He's currently stressed because his furnace is broken at home. I've located a heavily discounted furnace in inventory 20 minutes away from here that you could recommend to him, and I've tracked down a half-off discount promotion code from a local installer. There's one other potential customer looking to purchase the furnace who plans to leave home shortly; would you like me to arrange for their driveway to be blocked by a delivery truck so that they can't get out?"
You are evil.

In the meantime, Porsche's advertising and market validation (whether successful or not) adds to Tesla's market. Tesla is the winner here.
I'm sorry, but no amount of Porsche advertising is going to erase from my memory what I heard in that Twitter review.

"Beautiful smoking". That is the hallmark of Taycan for me. Forever.

Easy to spot the US drivers in New Zealand. They are the ones that when turning left activate their windshield wipers.
True story:

My sister in Dunedin finally got her Model S about a month ago (Yay! Bless her! Boo! She didn’t use my code!). But bro-in-law - a died-in-the-Romney X Merino Kiwi if ever there is one, quickly stopped driving it after too many left/right-turn wiper blades.

Something something something Coriolis...

• Funny
Reactions: capster
Actually someone said this years ago in the investors round table thread of that year:

Imagine you just bought your brand new shiny mission E, and drove off the lot, at the 3rd stop light got beaten by a 4 year old model S...

Now not only all of it turned out true, we can add: that is almost half the price when bought new.

I don't know about others, most Chinese Porsche owners bought the car for showing off. If you own a 911 you still can argue it's "different" from a Tesla. But Taycan is an EV now, that argument no longer flys. I don't think wealthy people in China enjoy constantly got beaten by cheaper cars.

The 911 is a 2+2 and sometimes 2 seater sports car.

Taycan is a 5 passenger 4 door sedan ( or gran coupe if you prefer) with a more practical wagon version on the way.

These form factors way outsell sports cars.

BTW Porsche sells in China

https://www.porsche.com/china/en/

View attachment 450939

I thought it would be fun to check how Tesla non-convertible bonds are doing. When credit is cheap, Tesla can inexpensively roll over debt or borrow to expand without diluting stock. Strong bond prices also indicate how the bond market feels about Tesla's ability to pay the bonds, which reflects its corporate strength.

To my pleasant surprise, yesterday the 2025 bonds with 5.3% coupons were 90 (yield 7.54%), which is a recent high for the bond price. During the low of Q2, the bonds were only 81. This is an increase of > 10% for Tesla 2025 bonds since then. Although yields have been falling for corporate bonds, Tesla has outperformed the general market.

In fact, these bonds have not been at this level since February, when SP was $300ish.

My interpretation: Regardless of the SP, the corporate bond market thinks Tesla is much more stable. Tesla bonds move upwards in price (which means yields get lower) because investors are confident in the company's stability. This is a nice turnaround and very positive for the company.

TESLA INC.DL-NOTES 2017(17/25) REG.S Bond | Markets Insider

Note: I am a bond neophyte, so there might be mistakes, especially with the interpretation. Chime in if you know better.

Last edited:
I thought it would be fun to check how Tesla non-convertible bonds are doing. When credit is cheap, Tesla can inexpensively roll over debt or borrow to expand without diluting stock. Strong bond prices also indicate how the bond market feels about Tesla's ability to pay the bonds, which reflects its corporate strength.

To my pleasant surprise, yesterday the 2025 bonds with 5.3% coupons were 90 (yield 7.54%), which is a recent high for the bond price. During the low of Q2, the bonds were only 81. This is an increase of > 10% for Tesla 2025 bonds since then. Although yields have been falling for corporate bonds, Tesla has outperformed the general market.

In fact, these bonds have not been at this level since February, when SP was $300ish.

My interpretation: Regardless of the SP, the corporate bond market thinks Tesla is much more stable. Tesla bonds move upwards in price (which means yields get lower) because investors are confident in the company's stability. This is a nice turnaround and very positive for the company.

TESLA INC.DL-NOTES 2017(17/25) REG.S Bond | Markets Insider

Note: I am a bond neophyte, so there might be mistakes, especially with the interpretation. Chime in if you know better.
Could have something to do with the fact that you cannot find bonds that pay more than two percent unless you take risks.

Reactions: CorneliusXX
6th ship to arrive Q3 to China, Lydden, just left port. I had assumed demand in China was lower because of the prospect of cheaper Model 3s from the Shanghai factory but that appears to be wrong. Europe looks like it is going to be up 20%+ because of UK. US appears to be going to be up 10% as well. This is going to turn out to be a monster quarter. Looks like 100,000+

Actually, if this goes well for Tesla, there are two remaining “talking points” people use as negatives for Tesla: interiors and quality.

For interiors, a refresh is not uber hard to do—plus they’re a matter of personal preference.

For quality, it’s already vastly improved and will continue to get better at a fast pace.

For everything else, Tesla is far ahead. Despite the silly low stock price now, I’m feeling even more confident about Tesla’s future.