Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would love to see that! My area is very constrained in the LLV units and is paying their mail delivery folks to use their own vehicles, which is a bit dangerous as all the mailboxes are on the wrong side of the road for them. Maybe they should just use regular vans built for use in RHD countries in the interim...
Ha, my postal person just dropped off a package and she said they're being paid $.71 per mile to use their own vehicles. She said the Post Office says it's ok to drive on the left side if it's not a busy street, but not to if there is normally a lot of traffic. But even then they have to get out of their vehicle and go to the other side to drop off the mail. She's looking to buy a RHD rig but they're hard to find.

Sounds like an opportunity...

And how many times did the Taycan (to the limit) break down? Would be great to have a vid showing the Plaid passing a towed Taycan...
After, what was it, ~$6b of R&D they probably drive it as if it were made of glass. That's why it got smoked by the plaid. Tesla's just break down, but if you don't push your Porsche too hard then it can make it around the track at least once. /s

And how many times did the Taycan (to the limit) break down? Would be great to have a vid showing the Plaid passing a towed Taycan...

How many times did a production Taycan break down or a prototype Taycan break down? I'm sure the Taycan was made perfectly the first time, that's why it only took them 4 years after their prototype was reviled to start production. All their engineers had a 4 year long vacation as a bonus for knocking it out of the park the first time.

How many times did a production Taycan break down or a prototype Taycan break down? I'm sure the Taycan was made perfectly the first time, that's why it only took them 4 years after their prototype was reviled to start production. All their engineers had a 4 year long vacation as a bonus for knocking it out of the park the first time.
I even like the typo... it seems apropos [edit: in a humorous way, not trying to revive the T vs P arguments]

Yeah, the moaning over the Rivian-Amazon thing doesn't make sense to me. We don't know whether Rivian's tech will be inferior. We do know that Tesla has their hands full for the next several years with the Y, Semi, Roadster, Plaid S/X, GF3 ramp, GF1 ramp, GF4 site selection/build/ramp, energy storage ramp, PV business ramp, etc.

Will Rivian make 100k Amazon vans by 2024? Will they be inferior to what Tesla could have made instead, for the specific needs of Amazon delivery vans? Who the heck knows? I do know that Tesla wouldn't be able to make them in that timeframe without disrupting their already-ambitious and globally important plans, though, so have at it, Rivian.

Same team, folks.

I'm happy to see Amazon do more for the environment - I kind of hoped they are more proactive on the packaging which still contains way too much plastic, and the general idea of promoting consumerism and advertising is morally and environmentally dubious. In London I have seen these 'Advertising shits in your head' posters which I agree with: Advertising Shits in your Head on Art.Base.BASE
One of the small reasons I like Elon and Tesla's stance on advertising.

Having said that, my second biggest holding besides Tesla is Amazon. In many ways they are similar to Tesla as a stock.

* Very little competition in many countries
* Online shopping is winner takes all in many ways (like autopilot)
* Smart tech founder and leader with solid vision of the future. They have great timing for technology and a great sense of which tech is important. They managed to buy Twitch for 1 billion and 4 years later its worth 4 billion. I see this Rivian investment paying off for them in the same way.
* Many overlapping businesses (List of mergers and acquisitions by Amazon - Wikipedia)
* Highly customer centric (I once bought a 200 pound pair of Bose headphones which I did not like and wanted to return them. Postal service would not accept them because they had a battery, and so Amazon just told me to keep them). They basically managed to take all the hassle out of online shopping.
* Many years of losses as they expanded the business, redirecting everything into expansion.
* Innovative - first to market with online books/online shopping/AWS, but I also like that Bezos will copy Elon if he thinks its a good idea (EVs, rockets). Though I was disappointed when he tried to sue SpaceX over the drone-ship landing - that is no way to compete. I'm not convinced Bezos's slow and steady approach to rocketry is the right one compared to Elon's experimental slap it together and learn from doing approach.

Last edited:
Twitter is no place for @Jalopnik’s BS

EE2snSYXUAMylCf.jpg

CNBC TSLAQ machine at it again. One of the regulars was throwing out what sounds like some ridiculous numbers. Something like Model 3 down 30% y/y.
US July/August deliveries down 30% is totally meaningless since they're weren't doing the wave last year. Will still be down for the full quarter, obviously, but not by nearly that much.

Rivian (when finally available) will offer inferior motors, electronics, bty density, software/updates, charging network/solutions, fleet management integration, autonomus delivery vehicles and safety.

So yes, inferior.

And yet superior as a business delivery van to ICE. i.e. lowers the cost of delivering each package.

Electric delivery is great news. I will be more likely to shop on line. At present I avoid it because it’s impossible to disassociate the act of clicking BUY with the van arriving, idling, spewing fumes while the driver drops the package. As Greta’s following grows, my oddities become normal behaviour.

So even if break even, electric delivery is a sound business move.

Barron's - 2 hours ago: Oracle Founder Larry Ellison Calls Uber and WeWork ‘Almost Worthless’

Final paragraph:

Ellison, who sits on the board of Tesla, and considers Elon Musk a close friend, also asserted that Tesla could roll out a ride-sharing service with autonomously driven cars at prices two-thirds below what Uber charges, and ensure everyone gets to their destinations safely.

This confirms red is faster than Blue:-
Tesla Nurburgring: two cars hit the track, go slower than before | CarAdvice

"The second lap in the blue Tesla produced a much slower time of around 7 minutes and 40 seconds, he said."

However it now looks like the Red car is broken,,,
Video from today’s industry pool at The Ring in Germany : teslamotors

They are going to come back with an improved version in about 1 month and try to do a faster time..

This is why companies test prototypes, they need to find the weaknesses and the areas that can be improved..... *orders more popcorn*

Last edited:
This confirms red is faster than Blue:-
Tesla Nurburgring: two cars hit the track, go slower than before | CarAdvice

"The second lap in the blue Tesla produced a much slower time of around 7 minutes and 40 seconds, he said."

However it now looks like the Red car is broken,,,
Video from today’s industry pool at The Ring in Germany : teslamotors

They are going to come back with an improved version in about 1 month and try to do a faster time..

This is why companies test prototypes, they need to find the weaknesses and the areas that can be improved..... *orders more popcorn*

But Tesla has Agile approach to Manufacturing. ...