Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Adding to the insanity - and we're pretty sure this chart will change by end of day, I've no idea how! - TSLA is 'approaching' Toyota to be the most valuable auto manufacturer in the world. 'Only' $70 B to go... Remember that Toyota made 27 times more cars than Tesla last year.

And it's important to recognize that quantity of cars sold is a poor metric. Margin per car, technology moats, lack of legacy infrastructure, etc are all way more important. And nobody comes close to Tesla in that regard.

So, just to clear this up a bit, are most of your co-workers and your neighbors talk enthusiastically about owning TSLA yet?

From zero to 100, what is the value of the "Fobble Overbought Index"? :D
Tesla going parabolic, just like Bitcoin. Difference? Bitcoin was cousin Doug and little Timmy. Tesla is institutions front running Sp 500 and hedge funds paying for their sins baby.

Just tried to sell a few shares at $935 and my trading app stalled, then tried to buy some at $895 and it stalled again....

It's probably doing me a favour!

This is like a stress test of brokers. Those of you who have platforms like these should be looking for another one to sign up to.

By the way cricketman, which broker is this?

Yes I did and yes I know! At the time I could have bought 35, but I was "being sensible".

Sometimes hindsight's a bitch...

So, the 35 contracts you didn’t buy would have cost $1 x 100 x 35 = $3500 ... I guess you would only have made about $7m. Well, that makes me feel better, I thought it would have been real money. :p

Because it generates much more income to sell those solar panels to customers at a margin, than to crowd out paying customers by installing it themselves. Yes, I agree they will do it eventually, but right now it's a distraction.

Tesla is even selling their test drive vehicles for heaven's sake ...

Because the GF3 loans are a gift from the Chinese government, loans at 90% the central bank interest rate. In China the banking system is dominantly owned and run by the government, so if they offer you a loan to self-finance, you take it.

It's also sound economics: foreign exchange costs and risks from dollar to Yuan cost basis is significant, so you want to take out Yuan denominated loans for costs you pay to Chinese suppliers.

Because this reduces inventory risk and is sound economics. In Elon's world it's all about cost optimizations. He's a masterful cost optimizer: he financed SpaceX reusable rocket boosters from customer payments and tested them on customer missions ...

Having Gigafactories per continent also reduces political risks, reduces tariff risks and shortens the supply chains to increase the effective rate of innovation through faster iterations.

Please do continue, you have not made not a single valid point so far that I can see.

Tesla was arguably capital constrained in 2018, but they are not anymore.
We agree to disagree.
Let me add one more point to my previous valid points.
If Tesla gave out fcf and cash at hand for November 30 instead of end of the quarter the number would be much much less as Tesla had cars at hand and not cash. Now Tesla did have a comfortable cash cushion on November 30, but much less than $6B and certainly they did not have unlimited cash to invest.

Elon Musk just passed Charles Koch on the Forbes "Real Time Billionaires" list:

Real Time Billionaires

Love it! The new 21st-century clean green overtaking the old 20th-century filth and grime. RIP.

A few months ago I said Elon Musk will go down as the most important industrialist of the 21st century and it looks like he's getting recognized a little sooner than even I thought he would.

OT
@LJS22
Does that bear realize AAPL is ->actually<- $17,500 and change per share, or is he still “wet behind the ears” newborn?
He messed up because he said “Elon Musk demands to know why you are wrong, how you’re going to fix it and how it will help” they said “that’s a good work environment...no?” And he said it’s difficult to work in his environment similar to Steve Jobs...then they said “so like apple” and he said “yea...”

Tesla going parabolic, just like Bitcoin. Difference? Bitcoin was cousin Doug and little Timmy. Tesla is institutions front running Sp 500 and hedge funds paying for their sins baby.
And beyond that, bitcoin isn't a product, at best it's a hedge against monetary policy and a possible FOREX type play for smaller nations. Tesla actually builds things.

*whispers* Paris Climate Accord *whispers*

The_Hunger_Games_finger_salute-518x250.jpg

I've also subscribed to become a supporting member. Thank you very much for the info over the years and for this forum to allow me to contribute.

Last edited by a moderator: