Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will mark disagree to any post bragging about big profit.
Naturally, I will mark love any posts whining about big loss.
Let me start: I have gambled heavily that the Q4 would be even better than it was. So I lost 80% of that gamble and that represented about 25% of my TSLA related investment. Kindly send donations to the address above. Thank you. (under duress I might admit that some of my other gambles fared slightly better. I am so glad there is no duress.)
Seriously: Plea: Do not brag for multiple reasons: One some newbie might get the impression that big win is guaranteed. It is not guaranteed at all.TwoL If you have not posted all parts of the transaction you are not credible. Three: ....

I've found that taking people for a ride in the car is relatively useless compared to letting them drive the car. Hundreds of people have driven mine, often with friends / relatives / kids riding in back. If you want to win people over you have to up your game.
Insurance doesn't allow this. Mine has designated driver names. Now I don't doubt it covers service personnel driving the car, but not test drives. And if you search TMC you'll find some sad stories where a test driver totaled the Tesla.

Last edited:
According to the slide presentation on 2019Q4 results, Fremont is already at a combined 490K per year production rate (Models S, X, and 3). So, even if Shanghai were to be completely shut down this quarter, that would still be 122K cars produced in the quarter just from Fremont. And even with seasonal demand issues, there should still be enough in US and Europe to buy all those produced.

Throw in the potential for FCA Europe clean-air credits and I don't see how Tesla isn't profitable in 2020Q1.

Can anyone shed additional light - pro or con?

[Edited to get quarters right]

The slides indicate production capacity, not current production rate.

Cathie has mentioned a number of times that they actually have three of their analysts reviewing Tesla; one for the car, one for the energy, and one for the autonomous driving. Maybe she should think of it as three companies, and allow up to 10% holding in each.
@DaveT made a good point -
ARK does not have to make the most money for their shareholders - else if they hold 100% TSLA, then everyone will dump ARK and buy TSLA instead.

They need to earn fees from managing money, so they have to find other less wonderful companies to show their hard work.

Cathie just made a ton of money for herself from TSLA calls in her personal account.

So. It all makes perfect sense.

Reactions: Tslynk67 and Jovian
I'm disappointed about the Taycan fire, I hope it is a "one off" and Porsche can easily pinpoint the problem...

I see the Taycan as a "all in" effort, with a lot of good engineering, so that effort deserves some reward.

But I would hate to be the poor engineers trying to diagnose the problem.

• Can they pull logs for the car?
  • Does it have a black box?
In this case the lack of remote diagnostics and over the air software updates is not a concern as the relatively small number of cars can easily be hauled into a service centre for a check/update...

I do think any buyer who was on the fence about a Taycan/Plaid Model S, is at least going to wait until the fault is identified and rectified

So Porsche needs to find the fault ASAP, and they need an accurate diagnosis...

In contrast Tesla has a mature ecosystem with years of experience diagnosing this kind of fault, and the ability to push over the air updates to quickly patch an issue.

So this is yet another area legacy car makers need to get right, the ability to diagnose and correct faults quickly..Unfortunately EV faults will get more traction in the media, and their solution will be compared to Tesla

I've found that taking people for a ride in the car is relatively useless compared to letting them drive the car. Hundreds of people have driven mine, often with friends / relatives / kids riding in back. If you want to win people over you have to up your game.
I've thought about it but I don't want to take on the risk of an accident

OT:
I like how the media has twisted "our conversations have been underwhelming" into 'Bill Gates is underwhelming'.
Although rarity these days, looks like the media was directionally correct on this one. Elon's answer was directed at a post saying Gates was smart... IMHO, Musk is cool and Gates is an underwhelming d;)uche

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 3.24.15 PM.png

Just wanted to let you all know I bought some short dated tesla calls for this and made a cool 11k sold and bought some may calls for 1100 strike price ! I really want to play this company long but don't have the capital hoping to make some money from options to buy even more tesla share

Don't have the capital? You just made $11k!! That's 12 shares!

Gambling is great but investing is greater.

I think its more likely tomorrow

That we are looking down at an upper bb.

Than up.

It could be the last time we look down at it for awhile.
Upper-BB closed at $915 today. Will likely Open at about $930 tomorrow. That's a $70+ move to reach the Upper-BB, and you think it more likely to be exceeded tomorrow?

Could happen, but that's a serious leg up. Just to be clear on what you're calling likely.

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2020-02-18.16-00.png

Cheers!

EDIT: WAY UP in the After-hours session:

876.75 +18.35 (2.14%) 18:42 EST

EDIT2: Here's the Google Chart (Note: NASDAQ Real-time page stops updating at 5:59 pm EST)

TSLA.1-Wk.2020-02-18.After-hrs.pop.png

Last edited: