Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want GM to succeed for the benefit of humanity, but first I want to see them squirm with frustration. Maybe see them downsize and no gov't bail out before they put that EV halo on their name.

GM won't squirm too much with the cheerleading they get from news and analysts. Jonas will praise the vehicles integration with OnStar.

This stock market action is delusional. people are absolutely out of their minds. This virus is nowhere even CLOSE to as dangerous as climate change, yet we continue to drive ICE cars, fly in planes domestically, eat too much meat and leas incredibly destructive lifestyles. But the moment someone wears a hazmat suit on a TV news report, everybody starts stabbing each other over toilet rolls. Its nuts. No wonder teslas stock price is hard to predict, most of the people trading it are idiots!

I'm just holding. I'll try not to look at my stock for the next week, and hope some adults show up to calm things down.

The stock market action is not delusional. We were at all time highs on the broad markets, and to contain the spread of the virus we are going to have to continue to cancel basically any activity that involves large groups of people in close proximity (as in the same actions being taken in China, South Korea, Italy and increasingly Japan). These containment actions are causing a big contraction in economic activity, and while the contraction is temporary (lasting hopefully only a few months), it is going to have a real impact on companies, with many sectors experiencing sharply lower near term revenue & profits, with likely bankruptcy’s in some specific areas (unless bailouts occur).

I don’t see how a big pullback from all time highs isn’t a reasonable reaction given the current scenario unfolding.

The stock market action is not delusional. We were at all time highs on the broad markets, and to contain the spread of the virus we are going to have to continue to cancel basically any activity that involves large groups of people in close proximity (as in the same actions being taken in China, South Korea, Italy and increasingly Japan). These containment actions are causing a big contraction in economic activity, and while the contraction is temporary (lasting hopefully only a few months), it is going to have a real impact on companies, with many sectors experiencing sharply lower near term revenue & profits, with likely bankruptcy’s in some specific areas (unless bailouts occur).

I don’t see how a big pullback from all time highs isn’t a reasonable reaction given the current scenario unfolding.

There's no longer"containing" the virus, we can only slow it down. And that's coming from a MD who has a PhD in virology and is sick and tired of the coronavirus hysteria in the media. The media attention is completely out of proportion to the medical impact of the virus. We will have scenarios like these every now and then but we don't need to go into full panic mode or shut down the economy because of them.

CNBC said Tesla is a non factor now that oil is so low lol this was in response to model y and cybertruck showing strong demand.

edit: the obvious issue with that statement is the CNBC analyst thinks Tesla owners are sacrificing by driving an electric car when in reality we are just driving the best car you can buy. No sacrifice, gas has very little to do with it once you own one

Last edited:
There's no longer"containing" the virus, we can only slow it down. And that's coming from a MD who has a PhD in virology and is sick and tired of the coronavirus hysteria in the media. The media attention is completely out of proportion to the medical impact of the virus. We will have scenarios like these every now and then but we don't need to go into full panic mode or shut down the economy because of them.

We aren’t “shutting down the economy”. We are cancelling unnecessary activities that were opportunities for mass transmission, which is resulting in an economic contraction. Hypothetically you can still have 90% of economic activity occurring, but that 10% lost is quite rightly enough to cause a major pullback in the stock market, especially where the loss in activity is focused.

This Is What Consumers Think of Tesla’s Cybertruck and Model Y. It’s Good News.

“The survey shows 28% of global respondents would likely consider buying Model Y,” wrote UBS analyst Patrick Hummel in a Friday research report. “Which compares to 26% interested in Model 3 back in 2018.”

“18% of U.S. survey respondents would likely consider buying Cybertruck,” said Hummel in his report. “In the head-to-head comparison, the Chevy Silverado and the F-150 would still be preferred over Cybertruck...but Cybertruck is ahead of the RAM 1500.”

CNBC said Tesla is a non factor now that oil is so low lol this was in response to model y and cybertruck showing strong demand.

edit: the obvious issue with that statement is the CNBC analyst thinks Tesla owners are sacrificing by driving an electric car when in reality we are just driving the best car you can buy. No sacrifice, gas has very little to do with it once you own one

Even if oil were like $0/barrel, ICE vehicles would not be fuel-price competitive with EVs. Gas would still be ~$1.50/gallon just from distribution/refining/etc.