Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to say, not a bad performance by all involved (except for the Pence suck-a-thon). Message was testing, testing, testing.
Walmart and Target are on the hook for making space for drive-through tests.
Walgreens and CVS for in-store tests.
Several companies for at-home and elderly facilities testing.
Google for website testing instructions.
Roche et. al. for producing the test kits.
Quest, et, al., for the diagnoses.

edit: forgot the downside- fill up the Strategic Petroleum Reserve from US producers

Agree. Finally showing of the real strength of America, I.e using private sector like google and Walmart / target or pharma. Also liked that the sole focus was on coronavirus and not stocks or stimulus. The best stimulus right now is to stop the spread and provide care. Also finally the hospitals are now directed to use emergency protocols.

The public meeting where concerns over GF Berlin will be discussed has been postponed to an unspecified later date due to corona. Press release says that the permitting process will go ahead anyway, so if the delay is not too long there will be no time lost for Tesla; however, it is my understanding that the meeting is a prerequisite for the final building permit. So this could delay things if the crisis takes too long, and I am afraid it will not be over by Easter :(.

Erörterungstermin in Erkner zur Tesla-Fabrik verschoben | MLUK

This conoravirus situation is impacting local governments worldwide and I suspect government bodies will be turning towards online meetings and hearings over moving permits forward so that business in cities doesn't come to a halt. Stiffling economic growth is not what anyone wants now. I don't expect any significant delays for this reason.

I have to say, not a bad performance by all involved (except for the Pence suck-a-thon). Message was testing, testing, testing.

edit: forgot the downside- fill up the Strategic Petroleum Reserve from US producers
Except the tRump shook hands with at least 4 CEO's and they all spoke with the same mike which had spittle on it from at least one person that had been exposed!

Except the tRump shook hands with at least 4 CEO's and they all spoke with the same mike which had spittle on it from at least one person that had been exposed!
Trump shaking hands was hilarious ... i could see a couple of the CEOs got away without having to do it ... they are the smart ones ... o_O

Thinking ahead to how this plays out the next few weeks. We'll get a lot more testing and better estimates of Corona prevalence and spread rate within the US population. Because we currently have many nondetected positives in the population, improved estimates when they come out may be sobering and cause additional fear (& downleg in the market?), then we'll get more estimates of spread rate and better understand where we are on the logistic growth curve. once were at the inflection point for rate of new case detections, fear should start to subside & I'd take that as a good sign to BUY, BUY, BUY on top of what you're already HODL-ring. Many here are quantitatively adept, can someone start to model this or point us to a good website where this will be done for the U.S.?

Tread carefully, there has been so much volatility lately that everyone is expecting down action.. thus I think we trend slowly up for a week or so before potential drop precipitates again. Depends how woke Trump deals w COVID-19..

I had fun trading puts last couple wks, but will slowly transition out of calls next wk and back to short term long accumulation and maybe trading. Maybe slowly accumulate put hedges that are June dated as well.... SPY 225-250 is what I’m thinking

True, there’s a lot of volatility. But. I’ve made enough trading the swings this week to sacrifice potential loss in holding this through the weekend. Plus, the virus is not going to stop replicating just because we have expanded testing announced. More schools are closing, more people being told not to come into work. The school districts around me all just closed until mid-April.

Only a matter of time before all CA schools are told to close and more businesses going to WFH.
The economic impact has yet to be realized.

Similar impression here. I am quite surprised at how many people are participating and that there is at least some evidence of teamwork.

I wonder how much of this is Pence’s doing.

While it was encouraging to hear what companies were doing to help (and positive press for them), I really didn't see the parade of company CEOs necessary and rather a dog and pony show that went on longer than it needed. I get there's a lot of wanting to pat people on the back for the press. Anyway good to see some of these things being implemented nationally by edict although many of these procedures have been in place by States and localities already on their own. Certainly better received news than prior announcements. I was listening to coverage with AirPods on, so right in my ear, and wondering if Trump has always spoken sounding short of breath.

Generally (always?) individual shareholders have a chance to opt out of a class action lawsuit, in order to preserve their own ability to seek an individual remedy. But IANAL.

True, but how many of those shareholders who didn't want to be part of the class action lawsuit wanted to file one on their own behalf. I hated that it was essentially done in our name but nothing much to be done about it. Like I mentioned the best rebuke we could think of was to at least invest the money back into Tesla products and not put in our pockets as an investor against it to begin with.

While it was encouraging to hear what companies were doing to help (and positive press for them), I really didn't see the parade of company CEOs necessary and rather a dog and pony show that went on longer than it needed. I get there's a lot of wanting to pat people on the back for the press. Anyway good to see some of these things being implemented nationally by edict although many of these procedures have been in place by States and localities already on their own. Certainly better received news than prior announcements. I was listening to coverage with AirPods on, so right in my ear, and wondering if Trump has always spoken sounding short of breath.
Yes he has, especially in the last year, sniffling all the way.

Yes! I notifed that too. Duh! Not everyone shook hands but Trump did so not practicing what we are telling people to do. Also noticed one guy put his hands all over the microphone when he spoke. I get these are natural body movements done without much thought but that's what we should all be focusing in on now and changing behaviors.

Yeah, he is the master of illusion, ready to do/say anything to divert public opinion from the real truth

Oh boy. Do we REALLY have to do politics in this thread? Let's face it, people who love Trump are totally convinced he can do no wrong, and he's saving the world. And the people that hate Trump are totally convinced that he is the cause of everything bad in the world.

Fortunately, there's a few of us out here that just try to see things objectively - especially in a time like this when politics need to be set aside for the good of the country.

The press conferences are a joke these days. 45% of the questions are setup questions from Fox News and the like, and 45% of the questions from the likes of CNN which are rhetorical and only meant to make a political statement.

Thankfully, there were still a few news outlets there that actually ask questions about the coronavirus situation that are beneficial to the public.

I am FAR more comforted knowing private enterprise is working with the gov't on this.

I'm fact, I'd feel a hundred times better if they told Elon Musk "dont worry about SpaceX and Tesla right now - we got your back on that - come help us solve this, and please use the incredible talent and innovative sprit at your companies to help us find solutions".

Reactions: X Fan
The FINRA Short Selling Volume Report for Mar 12, 2020 is out. As I suspected, the proportion of "Short Exempt Volume" today was again significantly higher than usual (ranking in the 154 Percentile). This has been the case each of the previous 6 days with SEC's "Uptick Rule" in effect during Feb/Mar 2020, and indicates clearly that the SEC's Rule 201 "Market Maker's Exemption for Naked Short Selling" is being abused in wholesale lots:

View attachment 520999

Something smells rotten in New Amsterdam... Tomorrow, Friday, March 13, 2020, the "Uptick Rule" will be in effect again for TSLA. Isn't it reasonable for Investors to expect promised protection from the US Securities Exchange Commission against illegal short selling by Market Makers?

SEC #DOYOURJOB

The FINRA Short Selling Volume Report for Fri, Mar 13, 2020 is out. "Short Exempt Volume" a.k.a. Market Maker's naked shorting, was again unusually high at 6% of "Short Volume", which ranks at the 128th Percentile (making it highly unlikely to occur by simple chance).

What occurred today should be a major embarassment for NASDAQ (who designates and empowers Market Makers) and the SEC (who writes and enforces rules for Market Makers) for another reason:

That shameful event is that the -10% SP curcuit breaker was tripped again today as the SP plunged to $502 under heavy short selling, WHILE THE "UPTICK RULE" WAS IN EFFECT. What protection is NASDAQ and the SEC providing to legitimate investors?

DailyShortSaleVolume.2020-03-13.png

Today's trading was affected even more than a -10% plunge would suggest: Due to an overnight improvement in NASDAQ-100 Futures, TSLA was trading at over $605 just 2 minutes into today's sesson. Then, massive shortselling drove the SP down over $40 in just 10 minutes. The morning's swing from $607 down to $502 represents a SP plunge of more than 17% in the SP WHILE THE "UPTICK RULE" IS IN EFFECT. This is outrageous.

Today marks the single largest intraday percentage swing in TSLA share price in its recent history (2015-*) This should NOT happen, let alone occur with the SEC's so-called "Uptick Rule" in effect. The SEC must investigate and suspend those priviledges from the offending Market Maker(s).

Tonight, any rational observer must ask will the Market Makers's short selling exemption lead to yet again more abusive short selling of TSLA on Monday with the "Uptick Rule" in effect for the 3rd consecutive day? This is confidence shaking in the Market itself and the Regulator, both of whom should now act to protect investors.

#NASDAQ #SEC #DOYOURJOB

Last edited:
Similar impression here. I am quite surprised at how many people are participating and that there is at least some evidence of teamwork.

I wonder how much of this is Pence’s doing.
It was certainly a 180 from the xenophobic, “foreign virus”, lock-out-the-foreigners speech of Wednesday. That had Stephen Miller's fingerprints all over it. This actually seemed like a plan a CEO would put together - understand the goal, break it down into tasks, then get the best people to execute them. I wonder if Pence and his staff put that together since Wednesday?

Reactions: Eugene Ash