Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From The Guardian's live feed:

Vauxhall’s major UK manufacturing facilities are to close until 27 March as part of a Europe-wide shutdown by owner PSA Group due to coronavirus.

Carmakers including Fiat Chrysler, Peugeot, Volkswagen and its premium unit Audi are reducing production at their European plants as they grapple with the Coronavirus.

Like factories in the UK they do not have clarity on social-distancing rules in the workplace.

Audi said workers have downed tools over concerns about exposure to the virus while Fiat Chrysler said it was halting production for two weeks to help protect staff and adjust to decline in demand.

French carmaker PSA, which owns the Peugeot, Opel and Vauxhall brands, also said it was closing its European factories until March 27.

Ford said it was closing its plant in Valencia, Spain, for the rest of this week following a flurry of infections, and would reassess after talks with trade unions.

“We have had three positive cases of COVID-19 on the Valencia site in a 24-hour period, two of which involved more isolated workers who did not enter the assembly operations,” a spokeswoman said on Monday.

Ford employees who had close contact with the affected workers are now in self-isolation.

“We will take all other appropriate steps to ensure that risk from this situation is minimised,” Ford said.

Last week, some Spanish plants of the Renault-Nissan alliance and Volkswagen’s Spanish division Seat announced temporary stoppages that could last for days or weeks.

On Monday, Volkswagen’s Autoeuropa car assembly plant near Lisbon, Portugal, said it had reduced its daily output by 16% because of a shortage of workers after Portugal ordered all schools closed amid the coronavirus outbreak.

Volkswagen also said on Sunday it was preparing to suspend operations at its plant in Bratislava after Slovakia declared a state of emergency in response to the virus.

Could have an impact on Automotive stocks in general.

yah 3 days ago, there would be 10ish model 3s at each location,
2 days ago, 20ish
1 day ago, 30ish
today, 40ish

They drive up the I5 into vancouver 2 trucks at a time and i see them quite often...
deliveries are probably going to disappoint this quarter

Those of you with statistical sampling skills may rip holes in this but my analysis of the Model 3 tracker info tells me that deliveries in Canada will be very strong this quarter. If you take from the tracker "confirmed delivery dates", you will see that Q1 2020 outpaces Q3 & Q4 2019.
upload_2020-3-16_12-33-8.png

In Q1 2020, 47 Canadian customers have confirmed delivery. That's much more than the prior quarters.
Total deliveries in Q4 2019 in Canada was about 5,800 vehicles. We could see over 8,000 deliveries in Q1 2020.
Remember that Tesla depleted inventories at year end and to replenish inventory back to pre Q4 levels, they need to add about 10,000 cars to inventory worldwide. That's why we may see inventory on hand on their websites.

Agreed, my /s was multidimensional.

The USA is in the first of at least 3-4 weeks of real fear and people staying home. Those economic effects are just starting to build. We still aren't just testing for the virus everyone like literally everyone else is doing, because we lack the quantity of tests that would require.

Schools are mostly closed, so even people who planned on going to work some need to stay home as well. The only relief that looks to be a priority is for big business.

"We still aren't just testing for the virus"

I believe that is starting to change with many areas now offering drive-in testing (In Collier County, FL where I live one of the major hospital groups just enacted a drive up test and Lee County to the North has a hospital group doing the same). In NC, where two of my sons are located they have just started the process too in Charlotte & Raleigh areas (my son is a Dr. at UNC Hospitals). My son is moving to the Cleveland Clinic this summer and while up there last week, he saw there is drive up testing commencing this week at both the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals. Just three examples but my sense is that the ramp up in testing is occurring in many municipalities this week.

However, I believe the medical community is still not moving forward with aggressive testing and social distancing is not universally being enacted in all locations in the US.

With re: to testing: I came down with an upper respiratory illness this weekend (sigh, I had to fly to NC early last week). My Dr. says no need to test yet....just quarantine yourself and advise if you get worse symptoms. Since there is no solve you'll just need to ride it out at home with usual stuff (water, flonase, tylenol if needed) and if it gets severe go directly to the Hospital (which received it's first patient this weekend). OTH, my wife's doctor is preparing scripts for her entire client list, providing a worksheet on how to treat and where to go for testing with the script if you develop viral type symptoms.

Last edited:
yah 3 days ago, there would be 10ish model 3s at each location,
2 days ago, 20ish
1 day ago, 30ish
today, 40ish

They drive up the I5 into vancouver 2 trucks at a time and i see them quite often...
deliveries are probably going to disappoint this quarter

I think what you are seeing is this part of the quarter is prime time to ship in order to get cars in Canada delivered before the EOQ. Additionally, management may have had concerns about Canada shutting down the border so they may have shipped additional cars across the border as a pre-emptive measure.

Reactions: KarenRei
Wonder what great announcement Fearless Leader has planned for 330.

Free Mulligans on any odd-numbered tees on all Trump golf courses until further notice. Course records will still count. He expects lots of people will be breaking course records with fantastic games. A lot of very skilled players play on his courses.

If I were in charge, I would shut down the stock markets. FYI ~ i survived a mutiny and got promoted ~ bottom line I can make tough decisions and have lived to talk about it. Precedents ~ banks were closed to right the government during the depression.

Businesses need to get their sea legs back before moving forward.

For you bean counters. The Model Y just got freed into the wild ~ 15+/- days before the end of the quarter (1Q20). Elon did not stand on a stage in front of a large audience or closed captioning (I just like the way that sounded). The numbers will exceed 2017 releases of the Model 3. This is a big deal. Oh, did I say VW (if I got that right) said Tesla is ten years ahead in the EV world ~ no duh.

"We still aren't just testing for the virus"

I believe that is starting to change with many areas now offering drive-in testing (In Collier County, FL where I live one of the major hospital groups just enacted a drive up test and Lee County to the North has a hospital group doing the same).

This could have been most useful at the disneyworld exit gates last night.

• Funny
Reactions: Eugene Ash