Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was the syntax of terminal headlines.
There was no additional info to post at the time.

It should be obv why I don't go out of my way to broadcast where I'm sharing the information from.
Communication
communication.png

Fair point for sure. The syntax caught my eye then the following reply from the op was nice.

I’m not sure the rules of re-posting bloomies so I can’t encourage anybody to dictate to us from them.

Not providing a link can be okay if it's not 'linkable' yet. Or if it's from private knowledge in which case you should state so. Saying Bloomberg is the source for something is not the same as re-posting Bloomberg. Potentially stockmoving headlines should not be published here without source. I know it's done way to often but his was pretty flagrant. He even made a second post and still not sharing the source.

Not so. There's a Chinese company (Xioapeng or "Xpeng" Motors) making a Model X clone with Tesla's design language, even down to the 17" Portrait screen.

Chinese Startup Goes All Out Cloning Tesla Via Open-Source Patents

We know many start ups are using their patents considering they have no patents of their own to share per agreement. Elon even said this on an interview. I am talking about legacy autos who doesn't want to share their "valuable secrets" to Tesla in exchange for patents.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Tesla was never planning to start production on the 29th. In Lora Kolodny's article she said her sources told her they were calling back 'dozens' of employees. She would have no reason to understate the number and that's obviously not enough to start production (even though she claims they are in the article).

'Tesla management has asked dozens of employees to return to work on Wednesday April 29th in order to resume production at the company’s Fremont, California car plant, according to internal correspondence shared with CNBC'

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I think people need to chill. The guy was just trying to be helpful but man the ban hammer comes down quick here. I should know since I get banned every other week..lol. It's still interesting to see how people on this forum thinks a headline can influence members here to move the stock price with a volume of 20 million.

Is anyone expecting an earnings beat for Q1? I'm not sure about profit, but the expected loss of $1.22 per share seems a bit high.

• Great companies create the sport of ice hockey (Tesla, old Apple)
  • Good companies skate to where the puck will be (old Google)
  • Average companies skate to the puck (Microsoft)
  • Poor companies skate to the puck last time they looked for it (VW - see Electrek article) Hello? - Robotaxi....
  • Terrible companies chew on the puck (GM)
I'm far from an expert on MS but they do seem to have done really well in the cloud space. It's possible to miss a big trend and then grab the next one.

Agreed on apple though. They are doing a decent job of harvesting but I just don't see the innovation. Use some of that giant pile of cash to do something. They should have taken a risk and bought Tesla or decided to become THE home automation company (I think amazon is going to win that race).

Is anyone expecting an earnings beat for Q1? I'm not sure about profit, but the expected loss of $1.22 per share seems a bit high.

I'm far from an expert on MS but they do seem to have done really well in the cloud space. It's possible to miss a big trend and then grab the next one.

Agreed on apple though. They are doing a decent job of harvesting but I just don't see the innovation. Use some of that giant pile of cash to do something. They should have taken a risk and bought Tesla or decided to become THE home automation company (I think amazon is going to win that race).
According to ETrade, consensus estimate is a loss of $0.36, but there is a wide range...

upload_2020-4-27_14-37-57.png

This one is a head scratcher. Companies choose to not use Tesla's patents because they don't want to give up theirs as well? Like what are they afraid of, Tesla going to find out how you make all the panels gapless? Or perhaps Tesla will look at that "technology" and find you are not better than they are?

I think companies haven’t partnered with Tesla to date because Tesla was at first too risky a venture, then the reason became that Tesla asks too much of them - perhaps investment money or time or asks them to give up too much - perhaps a certain level of control.

I don’t think you ever had a chance to partner with Tesla and call the shots/control them. You had/have to be on the same page, be willing to risk as much as Tesla, and be willing to move like lightening. That’s a ledge too far and a neck too thin for conventional business philosophy.

SP up big time.

Competition balance sheets challenged, TSLA getting back to work.

I’d add, I wonder if the “shorts” are also preserving capital and not hammering TSLA like they are prone to do?

I also saw the news about the Oregon Pension Fund...no idea if that's made the rounds around here yet already or not. At any rate, I think this movement is just noise prior to the main event that is Wednesday's call. I won't be selling any covered calls going in, that's for sure. Looking forward to hearing some great news - reaffirmed annual guidance would be fantastic, Chinese market updates, GF3/GF4 progress, battery day, etc.

In other news, finally gave our Model X its first washing after two months of ownership and was able to conduct a brief photoshoot. :D

i-mXqRmPg-X3.jpg

Agree that skillsets have an undertow, but the real weakness for the incumbent auto manufacturers is... (as I type and erase 3 versions of this next sentence).Ya know, last year I attended the TDK conference in Santa Clara (large Japanese sensor company), and I just couldn't believe that I was watching entire presentations discussing the future in ICE engine sensing. The whole supply chain is off track IMHO, what a mess.

What's more... to quote their Senior Marketing Egr who wrote me just last week:
"As far as car sensors, you can't imagine how many there are and it is only going up even in ICE cars."

I was asking him how automotive outlooks were looking with Tesla and all. Based on his answer, I don't think the ICE auto supply chain sees anything more than seasonal or flu related downturn here, that will return to normal soon. At least that's the plan in the mind of this automotive supplier.

Fortunately, he also wrote this:
"What I am allowed to tell you, we are involved with SpaceX."

Notice Tesla was not mentioned, and no surprise based on all the recent supplier discussions here.

I think companies haven’t partnered with Tesla to date because Tesla was at first too risky a venture, then the reason became that Tesla asks too much of them - perhaps investment money or time or asks them to give up too much - perhaps a certain level of control.

I don’t think you ever had a chance to partner with Tesla and call the shots/control them. You had/have to be on the same page, be willing to risk as much as Tesla, and be willing to move like lightening. That’s a ledge too far and a neck too thin for conventional business philosophy.

I have to think it would also send a message to shareholders. If say Toyota partnered with Tesla then it would tell Toyota shareholders that Toyota is admitting they can't catch up to Tesla in EVs, and that EVs are the critical path moving forward.

If this is true as the article states, Adam Jonas is insulting everyone's intelligence and he should just admit he's completely clueless about TSLA going forward. A $500 to $1,000 range? Seriously?

Tesla (TSLA): Morgan Stanley earns its millions putting TSLA stock between $500-$1000 - Electrek
His old target was $10 to $500 or something. To be fair he does list probabilities for those ranges, but he knows full well the low estimate is what the media usually picks up on.

This is amazing. The total short interest $ (the more important metric vs. short interest # of shares) is pretty much back to its ATH from early February. The shorts had an amazingly lucky opportunity due to C19 to get out as the SP touched as low as $350, but instead did what they have always done - increase short interest when the SP was lower. And here they are trapped again!