Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla probably has to use water based paint instead of solvent based paint due to California regulations. Solvent based paint is a lot less sensitive to the environment than water based paint.

Water-based coating vs. solvent-based coating | US Coatings

From the article, "Environmental compliance is another common reason for choosing to use a water-based coating."

Maybe there is more than California's regulations that have Tesla use the water-based paint. They are, after all, for the betterment of the environment first and a car company second. I would be far more surprised to learn they switch to solvent based paint if they have the availability, just to prevent a few paint inconsistencies.

From what I gather, the plant's built in paint shop is pretty bad. Decades of dust, poorly laid out, and crowded.

You never know, maybe the paint would be far worse and even more of a bottle neck then what we have right now with out this guy!

I remembered they got a new paint shop a while ago. Googled it - I know this is the manufacturers description so they will make it look good, but this is not some decades old technology but state of the art. Was in 2015:

Tesla Motors building the world’s most advanced paint shop – with Eisenmann technology - Eisenmann SE

Here's a more elaborate viewing of the thread, and I think Elon is right to keep an open mind... focus on what is said, not who says it:

View attachment 541120

aaupload_2020-5-12_12-37-15.png

Egads! Elon must have been channeling @Krugerrand when he replied to the Tweet.

Newsom taking questions. Final Question Being asked now and no Tesla questions. Surprised, unless he commented on before I listened in. From what I heard it’s still a matter for the County health to decide. Guess we’ll have to wait for action on their part.

here’s the state guidelines now with the expanded list. No general large scale manufacturing.

County variance - Coronavirus COVID-19 Response

Newsom taking questions. Final Question Being asked now and no Tesla questions. Surprised, unless he commented on before I listened in. From what I heard it’s still a matter for the County health to decide. Guess we’ll have to wait for action on their part.

Must be his reaffirming that reopen decisions are left to the local healthcare experts...

• Informative
Reactions: gene
These health officers are out of control.

LA’s is suggesting restrictions will be in place at least through August.

LA Could be Under Stay Home Order Through August, Top Health Official Says

That isn't a surprise at all to me. But it only says that "Some form of stay-at-home restrictions will likely remain in place in Los Angeles County through August". And I agree with that. But reasonable restrictions allowing places that can put adequate protections into place to open is what I expect.

My employer has already told us that the earliest we could think of coming back in to the office is 1/1/2021, and that is likely to be pushed further. (Regardless of any federal/state/county/city restrictions.)

That isn't a surprise at all to me. But it only says that "Some form of stay-at-home restrictions will likely remain in place in Los Angeles County through August". And I agree with that. But reasonable restrictions allowing places that can put adequate protections into place to open is what I expect.

My employer has already told us that the earliest we could think of coming back in to the office is 1/1/2021, and that is likely to be pushed further. (Regardless of any federal/state/county/city restrictions.)

Madness. Economy won’t survive with restrictions into 2021.

Please advise how the proposed additional $3T is going to be paid for without people working and our economy functioning?

My point which keeps being missed is it could have been taken care of in a better manner.
Not so sure about that. From what I've read, he tried to take care of it in a nice manner and was given a flat out no. I think the alternative (to Elon's actions) was to just leave the plant closed for the foreseeable future. Remember before the lawsuit, the County was saying they would look again at the numbers in six or perhaps twelve weeks--and that was just look at the numbers, not reopening or even getting a plan to reopen. Elon forced their hand so they came up with the 18th to make them appear to have a reasonable stance (as if things had changed from the original 4th).