Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
some says after hour if bad, noon-ish if non-event. Personally I don't know if it's going to impact Tesla. Apple yes. China doesn't need Apple. With the amount of investment China has put into Tesla I don't know if we're going to be targeted in any retaliation maneuver. I also don't know if the OIC can afford to stir this skittish market beyond a few tough words.

Do you have anything on the menu that couldn't be considered FUD?

If Trump is only going to spank Chinese Grad students over Hong Kong, the Market should not over-react, IMO. If he starts grumping about trade, that'll be a different headline.

EDIT:

BTW, I do NOT expect the OIC to take an overt swing at Tesla / Elon Musk. I think events in early May surrounding the reopening of the Fremont factory, and now the flag-waving surrounding the manned SpaceX mission, have consolidated opinion on the Right that Tesla == American Business, and they deserve Gov't support (or at least a cessation of hostilities, which leads to a level playing field, where we win if we continue to execute...) Good times!

Cheers!

Last edited:
You have a mighty rosy view of the world if you believe market manipulators don't have a tight hold on the nads of TSLA on low volume days such as we've seen the last few weeks. It's not a conspiracy theory. It's not like we're claiming the moon landing was fake...

I believe there are large groups of folks with deeply seated confirmation bias — and I believe they will go to great lengths to disrupt TSLA — and vice versa.

Do you have anything on the menu that couldn't be considered FUD?
What are you talking about? I thought when people say "I don't know if...", it meant "I think it's unlikely..."
Anyway, I think it's unfortunate that you find my posts FUDsy, especially when I'm 130% in on TSLA. Maybe it's the way I type things out, either grammatically or logically, as an overthinker and a non-native English speaker. I was among the people who thought the States would not get hit by COVID and see where we are so please pardon me for being a little uneasy at times. You're a knowledgeable fellow who obviously has done extremely well for yourself but since you're out of the workforce, I don't think you are going through the same anxiety as those of us who still have to work for a paycheck. I know Cathie Wood makes a lot of sense at times but her V-shape recovery doesn't look likely from where I stand.

Last edited:
What would be the logic for Tesla building a GF in U.K?

In there are experienced car plant workers being laid off.

Honda is closing it's plant in Swindon? in 2021.
Nissan decided not to build the new X-Trail at their UK plant.
Ford is cutting down it's workforce.
Jaguar/Land Rover is cutting down their workforce.

As for Brexit and how it could impact this - ask Boris I guess - nobody knows yet?

Or just following tech stock trends. My tech stocks are getting similar lifts at the same time. Please people just follow more than one stock so you can stop making up conspiracies.

Don't you get it? There is no noise. There are not broader market trends. When TSLA goes down it is because nefarious forces are manipulating the stock.

Note this isn't true in reverse.

Don't you get it? There is no noise. There are not broader market trends. When TSLA goes down it is because nefarious forces are manipulating the stock.

Note this isn't true in reverse.

My favorite was earlier this year when TSLA went from $580 to $950 in four days on no news, then people started screaming manipulation when it fell $70..

But the nice part was that it didn't cost a cent. If GM had built the rocket and used an eHummer, they would have blanketed the airwaves with expensive commercials during the breaks. Tesla knows they can get just as a good if not better response by not doing that.

The NASA astronauts were transported to the Space Shuttle in a ... Airstream motorhome.

Last year Boeing used this:

Not quite as sexy as this:

The June issue of Manager Magazin has a cover story on Tesla:

Wie Elon Musk die deutschen Autobauer im Staub zurücklässt.
"How Elon Musk left German automakers in the dust"

It's behind a paywall, and it's in German; but there are ways to read it for free. For example Singapore Airlines is now providing access through their phone app — so I believe all you'd have to do is download that app and sign up for a free KrisFlyer account.

The article covers a lot of ground. We already know about much of this, but I think it's significant to see such thorough coverage in German media. I've only skimmed it, and my German is rusty, but here are some highlights.
  • "Mad Musk" — blather about twitter etc.
  • Tesla has German automakers spooked
  • Graphic comparing Tesla to others on efficiency, range, and charging
  • Graphic comparison of GF Berlin unit capacity to other German factories: small than VW Wolfsburg, a little larger than various Audi and Mercedes factories
  • 10,000 VW ID.3 sit in parking lots, waiting for working software
  • Graphic showing Tesla's market cap growth, and that it has now exceeded VW+BMW+Daimler combined
  • Emphasis on Tesla's continuous improvement: calls the Model Y "2.0" and looks ahead to "4.0"
  • Importance of OTA updates
  • Importance of batteries; mentions Maxwell
  • FSD
  • VW's Diess is a fan of Karpathy
  • Graphic of Tesla production growth 2012-2019
  • Impact of Covid-19 on auto sales
  • German "Tesla Fighters" are coming... 2023 maybe, but certainly by 2024
  • authors: Michael Freitag, Jonas Rest

Been trying to offload(buy out of) this freakin' 2022 $450 put contract I sold at $8,200 when the SP was around $667 in early March. How is it now just at $7,600?

I guess the volatility has been so absurd that it takes a while to flatten out. Will put in my order at $2,800 and just leave it there. :)

I've seen a pretty big reduction in IV over the last 2 months. That should lower the premium price of that option noticeably. In fact, I would expect more, but I don't track options that are that far out. I'm pretty sure they behave differently than closer in options.

Reactions: saniflash
German "Tesla Fighters" are coming... 2023 maybe, but certainly by 2024
The thing we've seen over and over is that the "Tesla Fighters" coming in 2024/2025 will be competing with today's Teslas. I don't pay all that much attention to the competition, but something like the iPace would have competed very well with my 2012 Model S. If the Germans had started being serious in 2015, would they have had a cast rear body today? The Octovalve or Superbottle or their own custom chips for self-driving? Maybe, maybe not. In any case at best (for the Germans) Tesla is a moving target. 2025 will come and go and there still won't be a viable competitor for the Tesla vehicle spectrum. (I say that last bit because you might argue that the Taycant competes with the Model S.)

What would be the logic for Tesla building a GF in U.K?

It wouldn't have to pay a 10% tariff importing cars from either the EU or US.

Honda is exiting.

Tesla would compete head on with

Toyota
Nissan
Vauxhall(Peugeot owned)
Jaguar Land Rover
Mini Rolls Royce (BMW owned)

Everyone else would pay a 10% import tax.

I suppose you could supply UK Norway Iceland from GF UK and rest of Europe from GF Berlin.