Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bet the new advanced batteries are for new products (Roadster/semi/plaid power train) and the majority of the news is about scaling and cost reduction which is the major obstacle that Tesla faces. The batteries in the 3/Y are light years ahead of everyone else and a 25% cost reduction and ability to massively scale would be a game changer. A faster 500 mile model S although nice does very little to help Tesla’s mission.

So I see rental companies willing to pay that premium but the rest of us should be perfectly fine with a car that can last 10 years.

I think I read somewhere that Avis etc never keeps a car more than three years. It's impossible to come even near 1.000.000 miles in that time.

It'll have nothing to do with battery/engine or anything like that. It's all about the cars still feeling 'new'. Three years wears down the interior of any car if they have a new driver most days.

After eight years there are only a few cars that have gone 400k miles. Unless there is another use for them regular cars just won't need them.

Reactions: MP3Mike and Ocelot
You think battery day is about equipping today’s cars with a million mile battery?

I think not.

No, I just hope that whatever is announced is not what we will see in two years or ten. It is probably better to have something production ready ( or really soon, not EM soon ), whatever comes out of battery day.

Reactions: Scuttlebutt
I think I read somewhere that Avis etc never keeps a car more than three years. It's impossible to come even near 1.000.000 miles in that time.

It'll have nothing to do with battery/engine or anything like that. It's all about the cars still feeling 'new'. Three years wears down the interior of any car if they have a new driver most days.

After eight years there are only a few cars that have gone 400k miles. Unless there is another use for them regular cars just won't need them.

Specialized Tesla only rental services have extremely high milage cars and those cars hot 100k miles in under a year it seems. Tesloop for example.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Specialized Tesla only rental services have extremely high milage cars and those cars hot 100k miles in under a year it seems. Tesloop for example.
And they seem to be selling them long before they get near 1.000.000 miles. Even if they didn't this usage would be for less than one percent of Tesla cars. Not worthy of a battery day.
Battery day in regard to cars will be about cost, possibly something about charging etc. Not about lasting a million miles.
For a semi a battery like that could be very useful though.
But I suspect like someone above that the energy sector will be the main beneficiary from whatever they've come up with.

• Helpful
Reactions: shootformoon
I had similar thoughts, but as far as I know nobody keeps historical options chain data, do they? If we had open interest for historical options at expiry we could more formally model the relationship between max pain and close over time.
Don't some broker's systems allow for fake "paper" trading for education/practice? Therefore must have Option Chain history data stored somewhere? Somebody must be archiving this data for legal record purposes at the least, no?

The full Dan Neil Model Y review is available, and well worth a read. See the first post in this thread: Is Tesla Model-Y the World’s Best Car? : teslainvestorsclub

I especially liked reading the last paragraph "Will legacy car makers ever catch up? It’s debatable." ‘Legacy’ is the brutal term many of us favor for its technological hardware associations and its accuracy wrt gas cars and their makers. It is used here ambiguously — referring to the cars, the makers or both.

Did Mr. Neil actually drink the Kool-Aid? Or, is that a warning shot across the bows of the legacy makers not to slack off on their advertising despite the virus?

Edit: Since the article is accurate and eloquent even, it’s conceivable Mr. Neil is just doing his job I suppose.

I’ll still vote my shares as the Board wishes on the advertising question.

What article did you read?

The one I read said, at best, "Even though the UK's V2G project isn't recruiting Tesla vehicles, there might still be a way for the US EV tech company to be involved in the trials" but also "Tesla hasn't confirmed its Vehicle-to-Grid technology yet". So it's reporting that the UK started a V2G trial, and then speculating that Tesla might get involved, even though they're explicitly not involved in the current trial and furthermore haven't even revealed V2G technology yet.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, huh?

No, I just hope that whatever is announced is not what we will see in two years or ten. It is probably better to have something production ready ( or really soon, not EM soon ), whatever comes out of battery day.

What if what's announced is what was previously described for the event: a path to 1 TWh of battery production per year?

I'd be excited to hear some numbers on Panasonic current and forecasted capacity, China CATL/LG Chem current and forecasted capacity, and any capacity plans and time frames for Tesla to manufacture their own cells. Any current or forecasted cost per kWh at cell/pack level would be great too. I guess I'm in principle interested to hear about LFP tech and whether that is really going to be in use and whether it will really be China only. I'd be happy to see actual manufactured products with any next-generation chemistry (as opposed to the Nikola and GM models of major announcements of supercalifragilistic battery vaporware).

But any improved range or charging speed or weight on current products or V2G or whatever would only be the icing on the cake. What I really want to know is, how many Model Ys and Cybertrucks and Semis (and Chinese small cars and Boring tunnel vans and I guess Roadsters) are they actually going to have the battery supply to produce?

If I had to pick just one advance to receive out of this, it would be fast-growing total battery production.

I am a bit confused by what part of this substantially benefits from an in-person event. So I guess there's likely some icing coming along with the cake. Still, to me, it's the total battery production that'll be the major thing. Their 50% compound annual growth rate is on the line, and it's not that long before it'll require 10x the batteries.

What article did you read?

The one I read said, at best, "Even though the UK's V2G project isn't recruiting Tesla vehicles, there might still be a way for the US EV tech company to be involved in the trials" but also "Tesla hasn't confirmed its Vehicle-to-Grid technology yet". So it's reporting that the UK started a V2G trial, and then speculating that Tesla might get involved, even though they're explicitly not involved in the current trial and furthermore haven't even revealed V2G technology yet.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, huh?

Thank you for the clarification. That's what happens when you try to read and post Tesla news when taking care of a 1yr old and a 4yr old!

Acceptance is the first step...

Tesla Stock Could Rally to $1,500

I believe in stating affirmations aloud. I would like each you, three times a day, to look at yourselves in the mirror, and say the following in a loud, clear, and deliberate voice:

TSLA is a great value at $1,500 per share.

Say this with an assumptive confidence — an unmeasured arrogance.

Last edited:
Thank you for the clarification. That's what happens when you try to read and post Tesla news when taking care of a 1yr old and a 4yr old!
It doesn't help when the article uses another article as a basis for the conclusion, when the second article doesn't even say what the first claims it does. CT potentially having bidirectional chargers does not mean current cars do...

First :
Elon Musk already confirmed that Tesla's vehicles are capable of bi-directional charging.
Linked:
If the Cybertruck were to have vehicle-to-grid capabilities, it could be the one feature that sways consumers still on the fence about Tesla’s pickup. The applications of vehicle-to-grid features could be a game-changer.
Especially when @Ingineer showed the cars are not bidirectional at this point.