Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even a severe economic disruption does not cause sales to go to zero. Traditional automakers think they have it bad when sales decline by a whopping 30%. Tesla has a long history of being production limited so, if they feel any effect, it should be smaller than whatever the traditional OEM's experience.

Additionally, if necessary, and as a last resort in such a recession, Tesla could raise any "stop-gap" funding required without issue and without onerous terms. This would be very unlikely to be necessary but the fact that it would be so easy diminishes the need to raise extra money as a precautionary measure.

You don't wait for a crises to finance. If you were the CFO i would fire you for not preplanning for a down turn.

So how much do you think Tesla should hold in reserve?

Last edited:
On the subject of macroeconomics, specifically the effect of the coronavirus on our present economy:

In Yuval Noah Harari’s book, Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow he lays out repeated references to infectious disease outbreaks throughout history. Importantly, he details the empirical data, evidence, and scientific knowledge that has dramatically reduced the mortality rates attributed to these type of outbreaks. Today, you are more likely to die from old age than infectious disease.

In Hans Rossing’s book, Factfulness: Ten Reasons We’re Wrong About the World — and Why Things Are Better Than You Think, he discusses the data, and evidence gathered during the Ebola outbreak in Africa. He emphasizes the facts surrounding the use of masks and hand washing that significantly reduced the transmission rates.

Medical science and technology is advancing faster today than anytime in history. Rose-colored glasses, maybe, but, I’m amazed at number of folks wearing masks, amazed we are controlling transmission. To this end, medical science will certainly produce a vaccine in the near future.

Quite a few pre-cast concrete beams have been shipped to GigaBerlin.

Progress at GB has appeared relatively slow (IMO) compared to GigaShanghai, however hopefully the arrival of pre-cast material hints that factory construction may accelerate if more of the building is being manufactured offsite and only needs to be slotted together onsite.

It also answers the question as to why larger cranes are being used at GB when they weren't used at GS - They need to lift heavier sections.
Glad to see this is playing out. I look forward to more drone videos.
upload_2020-7-27_7-58-37.png

The USD is weakening substantially. I'm not gonna pretend to be a currency expert but the current US monetary and fiscal policies probably have a thing or two to do with it.

Tesla is exposed to currency fluctuations per their 10K and recent 10Q.

10Q from 2020 Q1:
c6ae311f81b25e785a7796c4a7360b6d.png

Interest rate risk is negligible:
b4f6a5eedb24e73425042392ac07db80.png

Worst case adverse move of 10% results in ~300m$ loss. I'm unsure whether this is computed as a simple 10% gain/weakening of the USD or as individual worst case moves of individual currencies that happen to be good/bad for income. Ie. 10% gain in a currency vs usd where tesla has a net debt and a 10% drop in a currency vs usd where tesla has a net inflow.
Maybe @The Accountant can chime in?

The flipside of that should obv be that a favorable 10% move results in ~300m$ of income. So worth a glance.

c22c3280540f1c0e10e541111e082bca.png

it seems to me that on average tesla should gain positive income from dollar weakness unless the timing with EUR and CNY debt facilities has been bad. But we would expect bigger debts to be currency hedged, no?
While revenue streams are less likely to be hedged.

Dollar index DXY Q1 started 96.442 and ended 99,048. 2.7% strengthening.
704a683ea22009c45d8ccab4799267d6.png

In Q1 strengthening translated into a 54m$ loss.
ebe1d0fd1c7c9953e38c6cec8def90e4.png

Dollar index, DXY started Q2 at 99.048 and ended at 97.391. 2.2% weakening.
e87acd4df0f6f38bdf49e836648c82eb.png

Will have to wait for 10Q to confirm whether this weakening translates into an income gain. VERY simple prediction is that it should have translated into a ~45m$ gain.

I started trying to back out individual currency fluctuations in the quarter but ... you know... too much work.

So how is Q3 panning out?
d32bb180c9a90480874ab2804207819d.png

Started at DXY 97.196 and currently sitting at 93.928. a 3.4% weakening.
So, with my r/wallstreetbets level of due diligence I'm predicting this translates into a ~80m$ gain if this level holds through the quarter.

Above is as close as we can come to a garbage in, garbage out analysis. But it's at least a framework that's useful for thinking about how USD movements affects Teslas Q3.

Interesting tweets from Elon - first saying he likes the song 'Lithium', then posting the lyrics which repeats the line - "I'm not gonna crack".

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1287587716197212162/photo/1

Perhaps he's saying they've solved the problem of micro-cracking in Li-ion cells?

Jeff Dahn said they’d cracked microcracking, on Slide 20 of his presentation at UBC:

“So really it comes down to a very simple thing. To make a really good lithium-ion cell you have to do 2 things:

Limiting the reactions between the charged electrode materials and the electrolyte is the first, and ...

Eliminate the microcracking. That’s the second.

If you do those two things, you can make a really good lithium ion cell, and that’s what we did. I’ll explain how we did it, to make the so-called million mile battery that the media got so excited about.”

Haven't seen this posted - UK electricity grid's carbon emissions could turn negative by 2033, says National Grid

My view: Not keen on carbon capture compared to reducing use of fossil fuels. Cryobattery can remove CO2 easily - not sure what to use it for except current purposes eg soft drinks and beer. Vehicles will be dominant well before 2033. Heat pumps are a great idea (UK may suit air source as it's rarely that cold). I'd love a Tesla home with HVAC and intelligent all-electric heating. I can live without cooking on gas - as I don't like the leaks in the distribution system.

"Carbon emissions from Britain’s electricity system could turn negative by as early as 2033 if the UK uses carbon capture technology alongside more renewable energy to reach its climate targets, according to a report from National Grid.

The electricity network operator on Monday set out its vision for an “emissions negative” grid that would include 30m electric vehicles on UK roads, and 8m heat pumps used to replace gas boilers in energy-efficient homes.

In National Grid’s most progressive vision for Britain’s pathway towards its 2050 climate targets it claims that net carbon emissions from the electricity sector could turn negative within 13 years by using carbon capture technology alongside bioenergy sources."

'E-highways' could slash UK road freight emissions, says study - dumb unless it's rest areas or short stretches. Almost designed to discredit EVs.

To play devil's advocate: why do you believe market action after a great Q3 ER be different than what we say last week?

Fair question. With past results, there have always been a few statistics that bears would highlight to spread doubt. The Q3 2020 results put these doubts to rest.
  • Tesla is not profitable without Regulatory Credits (no longer true)
  • Tesla loses money on each car sold (this was never true but more obvious now with profits excluding Reg Credits)
  • The more cars Tesla sells, the more they lose (the opposite is clearly true now… revenues will grow 31% and GAAP profits will grow 242%....the Operating Leverage is huge).
  • Even with growth in vehicles, revenues have declined or remained flat (no longer true)
  • There is not enough demand to meet the production of two factories at full capacity (Q3 is the first test and Tesla has passed…demand has met ramped up production)
  • Price Cuts will weaken margins (nope…margins went up)
  • Tesla share price is too high (Sorry Elon..it's actually cheap - at $3.50 non-GAAP EPS for Q3, that is $14 annualized giving Tesla a 100 P/E ratio - Amazon was at a P/E of 236 when it first turned profitable (as are many growth companies)...at a 236 P/E, Tesla SP would have to be at $3,300)
With the Q3 results, the only FUD remaining is “the financials are fraudulent”. At that point, it is only the tin foil hats remaining in the FUD club.

The academic finance literature, based on historical data, argues dividends don’t matter. But I’m not sure if that includes tax effects (cap gains vs. ordinary income) or reflects the dramatic recent success of high growth tech companies which pay low or zero dividends.
Remember that dividends are taxed twice, first a corporate income tax and second as income/capital gains to the shareholder. From a pure economic perspective even share buybacks would be preferable to dividend payout, although both only make sense if the company has no sound investment options.

Exception: nominal dividend payout to allow institutional investors to participate when they are restricted too dividend-paying securities. Some issue preferred stock for that purpose, but that has other problems including index eligibility etc.