Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which is exactly what would happen with a cash dividend. The short needs to pay the dividend to the registered owner. This reality has been stated and agreed to many times on this board.
Except cash is fungible; TSLA shares are not. Only Tesla can create new shares, which is at the core of the discussion.

Per the sage advice of @Right_Said_Fred Imma wait until we hear from somebody who actually knows this topic professionally.

They come, I'm sure of it. Prolly lurking here right now, just waiting for an excuse to post... :p

Cheers!

Regarding short sellers and the stock split, I perhaps shouldn't post this without reading 20 more pages first, and I'm not an expert on the matter, but this seems logical to me.

A person holding a short position in a stock will be obligated to deliver 4 shares to the lender of the shorted shares on August 31 for every share he has borrowed. He will, in theory only, buy those shares on the market, deliver them to the lender, immediately borrow them back again, then sell them on the market and recover the cost of his purchase. Result: no real change for him. The number of shares he has shorted will now appear to be 5 times greater but the price 5 times less. In fact, I expect the lender will just change the number of shares recorded on the books with no actual transactions taking place.

New research paper from Jeff Dahn on progress on anode-free lithium metal cells:

Diagnosing and correcting anode-free cell failure via electrolyte and morphological analysis | Nature Energy

'Abstract
Anode-free lithium metal cells store 60% more energy per volume than conventional lithium-ion cells. Such high energy density can increase the range of electric vehicles by approximately 280 km or even enable electrified urban aviation. However, these cells tend to experience rapid capacity loss and short cycle life. Furthermore, safety issues concerning metallic lithium often remain unaddressed in the literature. Recently, we demonstrated long-lifetime anode-free cells using a dual-salt carbonate electrolyte. Here we characterize the degradation of anode-free cells with this lean (2.6 g Ah−1) liquid electrolyte. We observe deterioration of the pristine lithium morphology using scanning electron microscopy and X-ray tomography, and diagnose the cause as electrolyte degradation and depletion using nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy and ultrasonic transmission mapping. For the safety characterization tests, we measure the cell temperature during nail penetration. Finally, we use the insights gained in this work to develop an optimized electrolyte, extending the lifetime of anode-free cells to 200 cycles.'

Tesla researchers show path to next-gen battery cell with breakthrough energy density - Electrek

Well there's the Middle-BB breeched. Now question is, will the buying interest continue, or do we see a sell off after a $120 runup vs yesterday's Close:

View attachment 575339

Definitely meeting continued resistance at that level. If we close just below the mid-BB I'm going to bet we gap up above it tomorrow based on past behavior around these levels. Pure speculation on my part; plenty of trading day left -- maybe we push through today.

EDIT: Aaaaaand it's gone. ;-)

Last edited:
The big guy upstairs came to me in a vision last night and told me so.
You know John Cleese?! I'm impressed! Did you get an autograph? Asking for a friend.

ca9262c8990180670a1246d79ef964ea--fawlty-towers-comedy-tv.jpg

Oh yeah, and FAAK DA SHORTZES.

Cheers!

I wouldn't be surprised if the split is to make it more palatable to the S&P, either at S&P's request or just because Tesla thinks so, but I don't think it will balance out the effect of S&P inclusion, which isn't really dependent on the stock price.

My guess (nothing more than that) is that S&P requested it, and will announce inclusion this evening.
Considering:
Expanding the pool of buyer should reduce volatility
Increasing costs of trading should help to scratch index funds' back
I bet that you're right
Anyone wanna bet on me being right about @ggr's being right?

Reactions: ggr
German situation:

My bank (CortalConsors) ist not yet sure how the stock dividend will be treated.Let's see if they come back to me.

The Landesamt für Steuern (IRS) suggests, it has to be taxed as dividend income.
This would be a catastrophe because the loss in stock value cannot be used to offset the dividend gains.

Unless the taxpayer can prove, that it was a stock split. This has to be proven according to the foreign law.

In 2014 Google had a similar situation and only after months, if not years of fighting, the IRS finally gave in. But the banks had deducted the 25 % tax; in the end the taxpayers got their money back - after years of waiting. So good luck with that.

My 'solution':

Prior to the 21st I will sell all my TSLA and sell way OTM Sept Puts. I am looking at $ 3,000 strikes. Then I can just wait to be putted or change back to shares after 24th.

Unfortunately the appreciation of my shares will be taxed. The rebought shares will have a new tax basis.