Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
01001DD4-9F59-4B63-8BED-11A656BF75AD.jpeg

Where Does Tesla Go From Here?

It appears Forbes’ Enrique Dans gets it:

“If they were also engaged in short selling, all they have left to do is to buy a pair of red shorts, a hat with donkey ears, and sit facing the wall, because rarely have a bunch of smartasses made such fools of themselves on the stock market.”
“Tesla’s next phase is not to sell cars, but instead to license automotive technology and sell energy solutions at all levels, both domestic and industrial. When the market truly understands what Tesla is and the consequences of its success, we’ll talk again.”

I guess you missed the context in which the OP mistakenly used Musk's 50% CAGR to apply to stock price instead of vehicle deliveries, admitted that was wrong, edited the post but kept the calculation nonetheless.

I don't think it's crazy at all to speculate that a 40% CAGR on deliveries or revenue would suggest something on the order of a 40% CAGR of the stock price. The point of the stock is to reflect future growth, and it's pretty hard to imagine Tesla proceeding with a 40%-50% delivery CAGR year after year and the stock staying flat or going down. I haven't heard of any verified formula for X revenue growth = Y stock price growth, so the OP's formula seemed as reasonable as any other guesstimate.

Anyway, I don't think it's fair of you to characterize that calculation (speculation) as mistaken or wrong. You may still disagree, of course. :)

Last edited:
The changes in the Dow Jones Industrial Average taking effect on August 31 were apparently inspired by the Apple (AAPL) stock split taking effect that day. The split will make Apple less dominant in the share price weighted DJIA. The changes may lead to better balance among and within industries.

There has been no automaker in the DJIA since the General Motors bankruptcy in 2009. So it is being asked why Tesla won't be added to the DJIA that same day, since it also splitting that day. Well all DJIA companies are also in the S&P 500. Both indexes are administered by S&P Global. And even after Tesla splits and is priced around $400, it would be by far the priciest stock if it were in the DJIA. So two things may need to occur for Tesla to enter the DJIA: inclusion in the S&P 500, and a further stock split.

The changes in the Dow Jones Industrial Average taking effect on August 31 were apparently inspired by the Apple (AAPL) stock split taking effect that day. The split will make Apple less dominant in the share price weighted DJIA.

There has been no automaker in the DJIA since the General Motors bankruptcy in 2009. So it is being asked why Tesla won't be added to the DJIA that same day, since it also splitting that day. Well all DJIA companies are also in the S&P 500. Both indexes are administered by S&P Global. And even after Tesla splits and is priced around $400, it would be by far the priciest stock if it were in the DJIA. So two things may need to occur for Tesla to enter the DJIA: inclusion in the S&P 500, and a further stock split.
“Further stock split”. LOL.
Let the Phantom Zone reload up on naked shorting first. To quote Paul Crew (“Longest Yard”), “If it worked once, it’ll work again”.

We should pay attention to the cost per kg. Even those nanowires work (which I doubt) , to produce consistent quality in metric ton scale at 10$ per kg it will be sci fi for now.

So lets say it costs $50/kg at 500Wh/kg, 200kWh->400kg, 400kg=$20000. For Roadster and Plaid this should be ok...

And if one company knows how to take a technology to scale and lower the prices it is Tesla...

I think cost and scale are the big issues.

I assume Nanowires work to dome extent but we don;t know the yield rate.

For VTOL and perhaps the Roadster this is a likely solution cost and scale are not as important as energy density, low yield might be part of the price they are happy to pay for now.

Assuming Tesla is working on this they can improve the cost/scale overtime, but I don;t think that can be done quickly.

There are other ways of making silicone loaded carbon anodes......

I don't think Battery Day will be a single all purpose solution..... for example, VTOL and Energy Storage have very different requirements/

IMO this could be a clever "Red Herring" yes, Nanowires will be part of Battery Day, but not the primary focus....

I'm not even sure they will be in Plaid Mode S/X .... I would toss a coin on that.

Reactions: FireMedic
I don't think it's crazy at all to speculate that a 40% CAGR on deliveries or revenue would suggest something on the order of a 40% CAGR of the stock price. The point of the stock is to reflect future growth, and it's pretty hard to imagine Tesla proceeding with a 40%-50% delivery CAGR year after year and the stock staying flat or going down. I haven't heard of any verified formula for X revenue growth = Y stock price growth, so the OP's formula seemed as reasonable as any other guesstimate.

Anyway, I don't think it's fair of you to characterize that calculation (speculation) as mistaken or wrong. You may still disagree, of course. :)
You find "it's pretty hard to imagine Tesla proceeding with a 40%-50% delivery CAGR year after year and the stock staying flat or going down". That's a bizarre statement. That's what Tesla and TSLA just did for the past five years, before its recent belated run-up.

In any case, all this talk misstates what Elon said and what it means. He said he expected a 50% per year growth in vehicle deliveries, although I don't think he specified whether that was in units or revenue. He said nothing about CAGR for Tesla overall. Nor did he mention the stock price. He has said that he expects the energy portion of the business to grow faster than the automotive portion. And then there's insurance and (in some universes) robotaxis.

Pretty much Elon's prediction is therefore for a minimum of 50% growth of the company. Those looking for a stock price growth of 40% will probably be somewhat disappointed due to P/E compression over time as the company gets bigger. People will be skeptical that a $1T company can continue to grow 50% in a year.