Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Disney at half the valuation slash 28k employees due to Covid, stock goes down 1.4%
Some no name company got picked for S&P, Tesla drops 1.4%.
C'mon it's Esty and they are the future- home made printed shirts and water bottle stickers. Not electric cars with AI centric GPUs targeted to both auto, tech, and ride sharing companies, as well as a home utility company with solar.... Stickers for water bottles...

Interesting Twitter thread from Snow Bull Capital. Have not heard of them before but apparently they were 98.1% accurate on their P&D estimate last quarter. They are forecasting 168.9k total production and 157.5k total deliveries for Q3.

https://twitter.com/snowbullcapital/status/1311757704948584464

The CEO of the firm has interesting color on Giga Shanghai. Twitter thread is linked and his findings are below:

https://twitter.com/TaylorOgan/status/1311761299366387721

In China, MIC SR+ Model 3s are already rolling off the line with CATL’s LFP batteries. Interestingly, the new batteries weigh the same as LG Chem’s batteries in MIC LR RWD Model 3s.​

In terms of MIC Model Y, the Fremont Model Y assembly engineering team has been at GF3 during the factory ‘shut down’ last week building NEW Model Y lines (not retooling existing Model 3 lines, as many thought).​

The Model Y lines are going to be nearly identical to the most recent Model Y line at Fremont, at first. That won't take long.​

Also, retooling for the new Kuka robots has already begun at GF3. The same German engineering team that programmed the Kukas at Fremont (and GF1 & GF2) worked alongside the Tesla Model Y assembly engineering team from Fremont during last week’s factory shut down.​

In addition to the German Kuka team, the Japanese Fanuc team was also ‘retooling’ (programming) the new Fanuc robots at GF3 at the end of August. We believe this was primarily on the Model 3 lines.​

We expect this to inevitably increase production efficiency as it did when similar lines were retooled with the same Kuka and Fanuc robots at Fremont, increasing production efficiency by 55-60%.

So, with GF3 being more automated than Fremont, the addition of the new robots to the already-highly automated Model 3 lines could get production up to >800/day (+60%).

This, and the addition of a third shift DURING the Chinese national holiday starting last night (when most thought it would be completely shut down for the next week) increases our Q4 estimates for Model 3 production out of Shanghai to 62,855.

One of the indicators we will be looking for in Q4 is weaker #Model3 demand in China due to the impressive domestic EV competition, namely BYD Han and Xiaopeng P7.

Such an indication of decreased demand would be if GF3 begins exporting MIC Model 3s to South Korea in Q4. If domestic demand for MIC Model 3s is REALLY weak, we could see retooling of Model 3 lines for RHD in Q4.

We don’t expect Tesla to retool GF3 Model 3 lines for RHD until Q1 2021. We think the RHD retooling will likely take place during the Chinese New Year, as initial RHD retooling took 8 days in Fremont.

A note on RHD retooling: once a line is initially retooled, switching between LHD and RHD becomes really easy (~3 hrs), as the robots are already programmed.​

Last edited:
Reactions: computerchuck
Was this video ever posted? Talking about why Elon is using Piedmont? This is some very informative info in here.

This was really fantastic, thanks for posting.

My take away from this was that unless there is significant investment in new mines, and potentially a breakthrough in Lithium extraction technology, Tesla and all other companies producing EVs could be severely supply constrained in the coming years.

Anyone done research on mining stocks? PLL and Lithium America have been talked about, are they the front runners? What about Nickel?

Interesting Twitter thread from Snow Bull Capital. Have not heard of them before but apparently they were 98.1% accurate on their P&D estimate last quarter. They are forecasting 168.9k total production and 157.5k total deliveries for Q3.

The CEO of the firm has interesting color on Giga Shanghai. Twitter thread is linked and his findings are below:

In China, MIC SR+ Model 3s are already rolling off the line with CATL’s LFP batteries. Interestingly, the new batteries weigh the same as LG Chem’s batteries in MIC LR RWD Model 3s.​

In terms of MIC Model Y, the Fremont Model Y assembly engineering team has been at GF3 during the factory ‘shut down’ last week building NEW Model Y lines (not retooling existing Model 3 lines, as many thought).​

The Model Y lines are going to be nearly identical to the most recent Model Y line at Fremont, at first. That won't take long.​

Also, retooling for the new Kuka robots has already begun at GF3. The same German engineering team that programmed the Kukas at Fremont (and GF1 & GF2) worked alongside the Tesla Model Y assembly engineering team from Fremont during last week’s factory shut down.​

In addition to the German Kuka team, the Japanese Fanuc team was also ‘retooling’ (programming) the new Fanuc robots at GF3 at the end of August. We believe this was primarily on the Model 3 lines.​

We expect this to inevitably increase production efficiency as it did when similar lines were retooled with the same Kuka and Fanuc robots at Fremont, increasing production efficiency by 55-60%.

So, with GF3 being more automated than Fremont, the addition of the new robots to the already-highly automated Model 3 lines could get production up to >800/day (+60%).

This, and the addition of a third shift DURING the Chinese national holiday starting last night (when most thought it would be completely shut down for the next week) increases our Q4 estimates for Model 3 production out of Shanghai to 62,855.

One of the indicators we will be looking for in Q4 is weaker #Model3 demand in China due to the impressive domestic EV competition, namely BYD Han and Xiaopeng P7.

Such an indication of decreased demand would be if GF3 begins exporting MIC Model 3s to South Korea in Q4. If domestic demand for MIC Model 3s is REALLY weak, we could see retooling of Model 3 lines for RHD in Q4.

We don’t expect Tesla to retool GF3 Model 3 lines for RHD until Q1 2021. We think the RHD retooling will likely take place during the Chinese New Year, as initial RHD retooling took 8 days in Fremont.​

168.9k in production would just send the stock through the ROOF. We can all hope they are correct, right?

We don’t expect Tesla to retool GF3 Model 3 lines for RHD until Q1 2021. We think the RHD retooling will likely take place during the Chinese New Year, as initial RHD retooling took 8 days in Fremont.​
Well, at least he seems to make sense. My first thought was that it was another overestimate so that he could slam Tesla for missing it. If he really is at all accurate, that's great! I guess we'll know soon enough.

Excellent! Wonder how long it will take the 4860's to filter down to the Powerwalls? Seems like a good fit, but I know they'll want to deploy them in vehicles first. Perhaps they could make a new item out of it, like a Plaidwall...

I'm betting a few years, and probably a product revision, before we see them in the powerwalls.

New Powerwalls just increased in price from $6500 each to $7000.

I was thinking about this headline a bit. Some TSLAQ nuts on Reddit were saying "if Tesla increases Powerwall prices when demand is up, then that means that Tesla lowering vehicle prices means demand is down."

But the thing about Powerwalls that doesn't apply to vehicles is: Tesla is the manufacturer, but they are not the sole installer. They seem to have adopted a strategy of supplying Powerwall and Solar Roof to third party installers, presumably because they've worked out that they cannot directly employ enough installers to democratize solar as much as they want.

So Tesla has to set Powerwall prices based not only on their costs, but the costs of their third party installers too. If they undercut the third party installers too much, customers will all flock straight to Tesla, and they won't be able to fulfill all of those orders.

I was thinking about this headline a bit. Some TSLAQ nuts on Reddit were saying "if Tesla increases Powerwall prices when demand is up, then that means that Tesla lowering vehicle prices means demand is down."

But the thing about Powerwalls that doesn't apply to vehicles is: Tesla is the manufacturer, but they are not the sole installer. They seem to have adopted a strategy of supplying Powerwall and Solar Roof to third party installers, presumably because they've worked out that they cannot directly employ enough installers to democratize solar as much as they want.

So Tesla has to set Powerwall prices based not only on their costs, but the costs of their third party installers too. If they undercut the third party installers too much, customers will all flock straight to Tesla, and they won't be able to fulfill all of those orders.

The other thing we have seen reported is that Tesla switched Powerwalls to non-Panasonic cells. And those Samsung/LG/etc. cells may cost more than the Panasonic GigaNevada cells they were using. So it may be more about covering their increased costs as they switched suppliers in order to make more cells available for vehicles.

Unless electricity is WAY more than I think it is in China I dunno how saying "If you skip getting a $3000-5000 refund we'll give you far less than $3000-5000 in free charging" is going above and beyond.

I mean- smart business move for sure- let the folks who won't bother doing the math decide not to get refunds...but economically for the CUSTOMERS it's probably WAY better for them to return and rebuy and save more money than they'll get out of 3 years of supercharging for most.

Going above and beyond would be simply, automatically, cutting a refund check to anyone still in the 7 day period when prices were cut.

If you return your car, you’re now back at the end of a very long line waiting for a new one. I doubt many people will do that.

If you return your car, you’re now back at the end of a very long line waiting for a new one

If by long you mean "two weeks" then sure.

See earlier post where I cited a source saying the wait time in China for a Model 3 had dropped that low this quarter.

. I doubt many people will do that.

I don't find waiting 2 weeks for another car to get over $5000 back in my pocket unreasonable.

If you'd been told when you were originally gonna take delivery "Hey, if you delay delivery 2 weeks we'll knock 5k off the car" would you have said no?

Selling more cars has advantages because of software upgrades, service, advertising etc. Selling more power walls doesn't do any of that. It's just a profit driver and part of the solar bundle IMO (and obviously advancing the mission)

Reactions: willow_hiller
If by long you mean "two weeks" then sure.

See earlier post where I cited a source saying the wait time in China for a Model 3 had dropped that low this quarter.

I don't find waiting 2 weeks for another car to get over $5000 back in my pocket unreasonable.

If you'd been told when you were originally gonna take delivery "Hey, if you delay delivery 2 weeks we'll knock 5k off the car" would you have said no?

Do understand most people in China does not own a house so they rely on public chargers a lot. So having free super charging for 3 years is more valuable than someone from the U.S

duty_calls.png
I thought he was watching Frankfurt tl0 premarket price so that he could predict the TSLA share price of the next day.

• Funny
Reactions: wipster