Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If S&P is up 10% in a year and your fund is up 12% many investors would probably be happy, not thinking about the risks taken to get that result. I'm sure whoever was responsible for the fund though better have a good explanation for the bosses about how that happened.
The risk to the fund to possibly only gain 8% is far larger than the potential benefit to hitting 12% IMO. At least for funds that attempt to track the index.

My local SC has several new sales positions. I didn't think much of it until reading this.

Way too early to tell, and I hope this post ages horribly. But is it possible the market will react to the S&P inclusion with a similar indifference as battery day and Q3 results?

Sure. The news is just news.

What matters is the buying that needs to occur, and my understanding is there’s much to be worked out about how it will happen. With S&P soliciting advice about how to do it, who knows what could happen.

Way too early to tell, and I hope this post ages horribly. But is it possible the market will react to the S&P inclusion with a similar indifference as battery day and Q3 results?

Well, we know that a lot of shares are REQUIRED to be purchased over the next month. So we know that part won't be indifferent.

I think anyone pressing the sell button either has a stock ownership timeframe on the order of hours, or got schwacked by the stupid stick.

Methinks the big boys are waiting for this initial news surge (when the retail investors come in) to pass. Once it does, we'll see a faster appreciating share price.

I have inside info. Every single fund bought all they needed in the ramp up to $500 months ago. They all need to sell now to not be overweight in a month.

I suspect those funds that HAVE to buy are putting plans together, since they have an inordinate amount of time (35 days) vs. a normal inclusion announcement.

Not the same at all. S&P inclusion isn't about the news of something great coming, it's about the 200+ million shares that has to be purchased. Here's Rob Maurer's analysis to help explain it:
Analysis: Tesla (TSLA) Added to S&P 500

Once volume slowed a bit, the capping started again. It is happening time-and-time again today, with large sell orders coming in each time TSLA tries to recover. There was a real push when TSLA tried to make a run at $450 about an hour ago (it went above for a bit). Large sell orders came in soon thereafter. I, for one, am fairly surprised that this is proving successful today. But, it seems the volume drying up has allowed for some late morning games. Let's see if volume comes back in afternoon trading.

Last edited:
I suspect those funds that HAVE to buy are putting plans together, since they have an inordinate amount of time (35 days) vs. a normal inclusion announcement.

This.

There will be steady buying pressure but the S and P stretched it over five weeks. The pros are being patient. That is their job.

A skyrocketing SP depends on hedge funds and retail buying and holding and being patient and putting the screws to the funds. I am betting on it but it is not guaranteed. How many hedge funders and retail investors wait weeks? :rolleyes:

No doubt, many are using this as a sell the news event, especially after the 60 point pop in the morning.

One way or another this will be a grind, and it probably not work out the way you think. Market is like that.