Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe if we can recover some momentum and trend higher, it’s heading above 600, even today if we are lucky. We just need to break the mold again. I think time is on our side. Like lafrisbee said it’s a long time till the 21st, but I think if we can just get things moving a little we’re headed up.

love y’all good luck everyone

I’ll be lurking
The Shadow Knows

The mindset is easy to understand. Look at today's chart... sell at open, buy back the same shares/calls at 10:30... Bam! You just made a bunch of money.

Edit: It works much better in a tax-free account like a Roth IRA.

Edit 2: I try to do this with a small percentage of my holdings.

Edit 3: I am not a day-trader. This is really swing trading, but the swings with TSLA can happen fast!

• Funny
Reactions: StealthP3D
About Day Trading:

@ItsNotAboutTheMoney has it correct: real Day Traders are cold-logic, hyper-disciplined non-investors. BUT, as some others have written, there also are other market players who jump in and out of the market and many of these will do so multiple times in a day. I, for one, like very much @Sofie ’s analogy to traffic weavers.

I try to be patient with this forum’s members who operate in that fashion - my Mod role as a traffic cop extends to keeping you numbnuts in line, not to handing out tickets for traffic violations. Rather, I extol the virtues of Buy & Hold by deeming that to be “investing”, and I...usually...keep to myself my opinions about the other form of market activity being as spinning the roulette wheel.

Nevertheless, and confusingly, if understandably, those players also are known as day traders. Maybe in the future I’ll simply call them “market weavers”. No, now I’m back to @Unpilot ‘s yarn shop. Hmm.

The mindset is also very different. We're investing in TSLA because we believe in the company's execution for the next decade and in fairness. We also believe that the world economy will go on. But, what if we don't believe in any of these things? What if we only believe in ourselves and rather go home with cash than trust someone else with it everyday?

It's not clear to me how anyone could believe the world economy won't go on and only believe in themselves while still believing that cash is a good solution to this problem. If the economy quits working, cash is worthless. In the long-term, there is no more reliable store of wealth than in the companies that make modern life possible.

I know it looks like FUD but, in this case, I think the author might just be a highly educated individual who is uninformed about the actual statistics and how Tesla's FSD works. He certainly seems to have a background in urban transport and believes in climate change and the need for sustainability. I think he just doesn't understand the technology and the attached risks and the rewards.

Sometimes people just need to be educated (and not by the fudsters). It's likely he has no first hand experience with the technology.

No. When the author leads with this: "In October, Tesla offered some of its customers an upgrade to its “Autopilot” driver-assistance system called “Full Self-Driving.”"

He knows what the tech is about, and how it's being introduced and is being deliberately obtuse about it. That article is worse than FUD.

Edit: FSD Beta testers had to specifically ask to be in the pool for beta testing. There's a whole aspect of customer request that isn't even hinted at in his article.

I saw this around 7am this morning but I thought it was fake so I didn’t post it. Now there’s an article on Electrek
16DFD57F-110F-494B-B786-6353501377AF.jpeg

It's not clear to me how anyone could believe the world economy won't go on and only believe in themselves while still believing that cash is a good solution to this problem. If the economy quits working, cash is worthless. In the long-term, there is no more reliable store of wealth than in the companies that make modern life possible.
I know many people like that. I've been sort of an investment advocate for our social group. Since well before COVID hit, I'd been saying that what you decide to do during a crisis will determine how well you do as an investor; everybody is a genius in a bull market. Surely enough, most people in our group get scared out of their mind by every piece of *bad news* this year. I think 95%+ of them decide to trade instead of staying in the market. What funny is, many of them have a long-term position and almost all of them will admit that their core position is doing much better than their trading account. Still, they don't have enough conviction stay away from day-trading.

Last edited:
Diess's promotion of EVs has been a direct affront to "this is how we do it in Germany". That's probably why he is on the chopping block.

He has also never struck me as a man with a large ego. If you watch his interactions with Elon, he's always played the #2 position and sang Elon's praises.

EDIT - most CEO's have a non-compete clause in their contracts for when they move on. 2-3 years is pretty standard. I would doubt Diess could go work for Tesla even if he wanted to.
IIRC, non-compete clauses are not legal in California so he could go there.

Not that I would personally recommend Diess have more than an advisory or advocacy role if he were to go to Tesla. I fear he would be an unintentional vector for some of the bad habits endemic to management at the legacy OEM’s.

Reactions: Drumheller
Alex Roy is a personal friend. He’s not stupid enough to be a Tesla short.

I know Alex and he has some criticisms of Tesla's approach to both Autopilot and Autonomy.

Niedermeier is a flack for Waymo and a bunch of "autonomy" companies that are 5-10 years behind Tesla. I met and talked to him at a party in January 2018 CES a few days after taking delivery of my first Model 3.

1. He claimed Toyota would always make better cars because they started making sewing machines and they understood attention to detail.

2. He claimed Tesla would not be able to ramp production to become a large automaker, thus being relegated to niche status, in perpetuity.

3. He refused to take 2 minutes as we walked out of the garage to take a look at my Model 3, after claiming repeatedly that since it was a Tesla it must be flawed in some fundamental way.

His entire life for the past many years has been based on sucking off Tesla's teet, propounding astounding varieties of FUD and then failing upward to run a professional disinformation campaign to throw sand into Tesla Network's launch.

As a funny aside, I attended the Cybertruck event in Hawthorne and afterwards went to the Los Angeles Ale Works and saw him hawking his book to SpaceX and Tesla employees . . . needless to say, it didn't go well.

No. When the author leads with this: "In October, Tesla offered some of its customers an upgrade to its “Autopilot” driver-assistance system called “Full Self-Driving.”"

He knows what the tech is about, and how it's being introduced and is being deliberately obtuse about it. That article is worse than FUD.

The article is certainly misguided and that can be worse than FUD but it doesn't make it FUD. At least by my definition of FUD. Do we all agree that FUD is deliberately misleading? I mean, is it really FUD if you just don't understand fact from fiction?

IIRC, non-compete clauses are not legal in California so he could go there.

Not that I would personally recommend Diess have more than an advisory or advocacy role if he were to go to Tesla. I fear he would be an unintentional vector for some of the bad habits endemic to management at the legacy OEM’s.

Different set of rules for employees vs. C-level execs in California. Been there, done that. No one is going to have pity on the guy making millions in a severance package when he is fired.

We're talking about Niedermayer, right?

Some background on Niedermayer - He hosts the Autonocast podcast along with Alex Roy. Autonocast

Both of them disagree with the approach Tesla is taking to FSD, especially with using the FSD Beta program and unpaid, unprofessional test drivers to help FSD to learn. I don't know if they are personally shorting TSLA, but they are highly regarded in TSLAQ circles, and have consistent conversations with the TSLAQ crowd.

The only problem is neither of them know jack sh*t about deep neural nets.

They disagree with Karpathy & Musk's approach on FSD? Who gives a flying poop? Do I ask my garbage man for medical advice? Do I consult a Wall street investor for gardening advice?

That anti-autonomous vehicle article actually provides more free advertising for Tesla. :cool:

Exactly. If the gun and ammo manufacturers can create record profits by spreading fear that the incoming democratic government is going to take their guns away, it should work with self-driving cars the government doesn't think it's citizens can handle safely! ;)

Spread the word! The democrats are trying to take away our self-driving cars! Get 'em while you can and make sure to order FSD. ;)