Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh god I hope not. I truly hope Apple pulls a Tesla and opens factories here just for this. All these poor auto workers at the other OEMs are going to need somewhere to go.
I just can’t see such a major deviation from their business model. New market, new method of building products, new industry. Perhaps an acquisition...

interesting
deep dive on jb straubels nikola

Yah what’s with JB?

1) in my research for ABML I’ve read terrible stuff about Redwood’s smelting approach technology, both in terms of margin and environmental toxicity

2) In following The Limiting Factor and TMC I’ve read about how overhyped and scientifically questionable quantumscape is

3) I’ve talked to 3 Tesla employees who have worked under JB who have called him an asshole and told me stories about him. I know Elon is like this as well but he has the genius to back it up.

4) If I recall correctly JB originally approach Elon about an electric plane company which then pivoted to cars because Elon said the EV plane tech isn’t there yet.

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.39.39 PM.png

A failed experiment there, Maestro. In order to create a thought experiment, a thought process must occur.

Don't forget the Apple ecosystem! It will have Apple wheels in proprietary sizes that only fit beautifully round Apple tires. The tires will have proportions that perfectly complement the graceful curves of the wheel arches. There will not be a charge port as the car is designed to charge on the wireless Apple charge pad.

Seriously though, I've been saying for a long time Apple will not be making a road-going car. Maybe an Apple Golf Cart. It will be cute.
Your post reminded me of this

Don’t underestimate competition.
Particularly if it’s another Tech company with unlimited funds and another brand aura coming with limitless fans like Apple.

Apple has the engineers.
Apple has the battery tech.
Apple has the liquidity.
Apple doesn’t have to kill all its ICE line and risk brankruptcy start an EV production.
If project Titan has been running since 2012, they would have more engineering into the project than all the other car manufacturers except Tesla.

This would put Apple on my list 2nd to Tesla in the EV market world leaders by 2030. With a third being Nio, Li, Xpeng or VW

For all competition, we can only judge the product when cars are rolling out of factory gates...

It isn't just "show me the money"

• Show me the cars
  • Show me the batteries
  • Show me the factories
  • Tell me the price, range and performance
  • Show me the charging options
Manufacturing is hard, even with a good car design and good batteries, they still need factories to build them and they need to be either better than the competition, or cheaper than the competition.

it is hard to build a better car than a Tesla, and it is hard to build a good car that is cheaper than a Tesla.

But Tesla will have competition, if Apple are serious, they could be a competitor, but they need engineers and factories.

If they are just supplying software and components, they are a component maker.
A component maker is only as successful as their car making partners.

What they don’t have is the manufacturing experience. That’s a big one

This.

Apple is not a manufacturing company- they are a design company who pays low wages to Chinese manufacturing to build their designs.

That said, they do have like 200 billion dollars in cash sitting around, I guess they could just buy BYD or something for like 1/3rd of their cash on hand if they needed an EV company.

Even then a 100k Model S/Lucid Air type vehicle seems more Apples brand than a Model 3 competitor.... looking at the phone space (or even the PC space before that) they seem perfectly happy to maintain a smaller market share with massive net profit margins.

For all competition, we can only judge the product when cars are rolling out of factory gates...

It isn't just "show me the money"

• Show me the cars
  • Show me the batteries
  • Show me the factories
  • Tell me the price, range and performance
  • Show me the charging options
Manufacturing is hard, even with a good car design and good batteries, they still need factories to build them and they need to be either better than the competition, or cheaper than the competition.

it is hard to build a better car than a Tesla, and it is hard to build a good car that is cheaper than a Tesla.

But Tesla will have competition, if Apple are serious, they could be a competitor, but they need engineers and factories.

If they are just supplying software and components, they are a component maker.
A component maker is only as successful as their car making partners.

The only thing they have right now is the M1 chip and some battery experience.

I do agree with you that they have a long road to travel to come at the level of Tesla but if they have been recruiting Tesla engineers for a while and working on project Titan for almost a decade, I would consider Apple having greater chance to succeed than Toyota, GM, Ford or Fiat Chrysler at being a number 2 EV manufacturer in 10 years.

I would just not underestimate them like other Car manufacturer underestimated Tesla till it was too late.

However, Tesla is innovating at an increasing rate to it is not of importance for Tesla, just for other OEMs.

I am talking of a potential 2nd to Tesla. Not first, ever.

Don’t underestimate competition.
Particularly if it’s another Tech company with unlimited funds and another brand aura coming with limitless fans like Apple.

Apple has the engineers.
Apple has the battery tech.
Apple has the liquidity.
Apple doesn’t have to kill all its ICE line and risk brankruptcy start an EV production.
If project Titan has been running since 2012, they would have more engineering into the project than all the other car manufacturers except Tesla.

This would put Apple on my list 2nd to Tesla in the EV market world leaders by 2030. With a third being Nio, Li, Xpeng or VW
They don't know how to make batteries or cars, so...........

Apparently,

Andrew Left from Citron has initiated a small short position in $TSLA. Boy...watching this was painful, it sounded like a real life 'Boiler Room' stock seller.

Zer0esTV: Video channel for short sellers - Video channel for short sellers

$TSLA discussion begins at 32 min. He does have some nice things to say about Elon though :)

And some not so educated things to say. They were actually laughing that TSLA market cap was twice that of DIS because everyone has some Disney in their life, not everyone has Tesla! WoW! o_O Must be long oil too, everyone's got some of that in their life, LOL!