Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding Elon on the Joe Rogan podcast I'm still watching it, but things I found interesting were:

Roadster engineering should be done this year with production in 2022.
Roadster will have spacex technology. Elon contemplates how high it should hover in terms of safety. Says one meter should be fine and even six feet would be relatively safe. When Joe asks if you'll be able to move around while hovering Elon says yes.
Cold air thrusters will be powered by ultra capacity tank per Elon.

Except it doesn't misrepresent anything.:rolleyes:

The truth is a tricky thing. Reminds me of something I heard; during the cold was the US and the Soviets held a race - the US car outran the Soviet car by several laps. In the newspaper in Russia the next day it said: "Yesterday an international and important car race was held. The Soviet car came in as the runner-up while the American car finished second to last". There's nothitng not true about that statement.

From the video my take-away was the ASML machines are the expensive/rare part of a Fab.

If Tesla can devise a better way of making those machines, it may make sense as Tesla/SpaceX, Neuralink and Boring Co will use a lot of chips.

Just building a Fab with the same machines everyone else uses, is a lot of capex.

Given there are some government grants available in this space, that might make investing in R&D less expensive.

# of chips Tesla & Musk related businesses consume in a year cannot support a fab.

That settles it. I was considering opting for a plaid + instead of my dream of a roadster. Now there is no way I'll be happy with anything but the car with a level of Gs that will require that goo that people in The Expanse use to avoid blacking out...

LOL!!!! YES!!!!
Bobbie Draper: “Hitch your t*ts and pucker up. It’s time to peel the paint!”

Razorback Mode.

5806E4EC-AEEC-47E0-9145-F596E533BEF8.jpeg

Last edited:
Roadster with short hovering ability will be very useful, but I wish it would be an option for all the cars.
Seems like it would be very useful for the cybertruck too.

Ability to fly smoothly over speed bumps, pot holes, cattle guards.

Ability to do a 180 turn at the end of my driveway so I don't have to back out or do multi-point turn.

Parallel park instantly by moving sideways into a spot.

Rob Maurer (Tesla Daily) just asked me via Twitter DM to pass this along to you Mike:

https://twitter.com/edmunds/status/1359950053184397314?s=20
View attachment 635933

I guess it's worth to have it here in the public conversation, instead of a direct message to Mike.

That is the explanation I was expecting. I'm not buying it.

1) When journalists make significant factual changes to an article they always make a note at the end explaining what was changed and why. I wonder what Edmunds' policy is on this?

2) This was as major a change to an article as you can make - he's claiming he actually did a whole new test of one of the vehicles, with a new methodology and new results, and didn't bother to mention it?

3) The change wasn't made quickly - it was made over two months after the original article was published. So after two months he suddenly realized the results which had been circulating all this time were unfair to Tesla, but didn't bother mentioning this and instead just did a retest and published the results by altering the old article with updated results and a new date at the top?

4) The changes he made as a result of the new tests were both round numbers - a change of 10 in one place in the article and 15 in another, as one might do if you weren't expecting anyone to be able to see the original, unaltered article.

5) The fact that the range increases don't match (10 and 15) is very strange. He says the range increased from 253 miles to 263 miles, but then says the differential from the Taycan decreased by 15 miles. That's a very strange mistake to make. How do you manage to calculate 263-253 = 15?? Either that or he calculated the new differential wrong: 70-10= 55?? Neither of those are plausible errors to make. An explanation one might surmise is that he first decided on 15 miles for the increase and updated both numbers, but then later decided (or perhaps was instructed by an outside agent) to change the increase to only 10 but forgot to change the differential number.

6) In the original article he claims the efficiency he calculated in the real world test was 28.4kWh/100 miles, and in the retest was also exactly 28.4kWh/100 miles. If he did a new test which added only 10 miles by adding 11% more battery life, shouldn't the kWh/100 miles be higher? I don't consider this as serious as the other points since he can claim he just forgot to update this, but I thought I'd throw it in anyway.

Edit: Fixed to say article was changed over 2 months later instead of 3.

Last edited:
Tesla has software to model crash test results, which they mentioned gets results very similar, if not identical, to real world cash tests.

The casting can be designed for the optimal mix of strength, weight and cash protection, and modelled in software.

My company’s duffel bags are of the highest quality with a water proof liner. The closures are a special patented design which makes the bag both water and air tight. The bags themselves can withstand a drop from 30,000’ and are guaranteed not to explode on impact keeping your cash safe. The bag can be buried in any kind of soil and will not biodegrade for 100 years. It also flame retardant and stands up well to acid baths. No scenario has been overlooked. Your cash will be safe.

The truth is a tricky thing. Reminds me of something I heard; during the cold was the US and the Soviets held a race - the US car outran the Soviet car by several laps. In the newspaper in Russia the next day it said: "Yesterday an international and important car race was held. The Soviet car came in as the runner-up while the American car finished second to last". There's nothitng not true about that statement.

Except @Chunky Jr. didn't say anything resembling your example of how "the truth is a tricky thing". He was merely recapping the days price action and noting that we broke a two day losing streak.

It's not misleading unless you're delusional.

About those chips ...

As I understand the story, the most significant reason some members of the auto industry are experiencing a production downturn over this shortage is because they didn't maintain their orders for chips back when they should have. Those who signed contracts specifying quantity over their designated time period are getting their chips, and maybe some Salsa too (queue the Mariachis). Regardless of which industry is using them.

It is not so much that the chip manufacturers are running out of production capacity or raw materials, it is that specific auto manufacturers acted in fear and were either scaling back or canceling existing orders and thus limiting their supply due to their perception of market uncertainty a year or so back.

Tesla, and some other OEMs who use the chips, didn't flinch. Those who planned for success are, well, successful.

Those who didn't are trying to pass the buck, casting shade upon the gaming industry, the chip makers, and anyone else other than themselves for causing a breakdown in their "Just In Time" manufacturing process which is based upon ordering ahead of time for delivery right when you need it. They modeled for failure. Is that a surprise to anyone? These OEMs didn't take into consideration how a chip maker has no more incentive to keep stock on the shelf than they do, and now we know there is a month or three lead time to get these orders fulfilled.

Is there any good reason for Tesla to consider getting into the business of making standardized chips if the problem wasn't on the chip manufacturing side of the equation in the first place?

Post deleted for politics, unacceptable language and tone

I used to defend Rogan a lot. I enjoyed listening to his shows and would listen to politicians I might not agree with just to learn and gain perspective. I found him to be deeply caring and deeply thoughtful. I believe he still tries to be these things.

The past few to six months I feel like he’s been going down a slippery slide towards a much less insane Alex Jones. It makes me nervous as he has a gigantic reach.

Hopefully once Dave Chapelle gets on there he’ll verbally slap him and get him back on the right course. lol

I’m about to hop into my 5year old’s bunk bed, answer some science questions for him as he falls asleep, and then listen to the podcast till I pass out.

Great days. :)

My company’s duffel bags are of the highest quality with a water proof liner. The closures are a special patented design which makes the bag both water and air tight. The bags themselves can withstand a drop from 30,000’ and are guaranteed not to explode on impact keeping your cash safe. The bag can be buried in any kind of soil and will not biodegrade for 100 years. It also flame retardant and stands up well to acid baths. No scenario has been overlooked. Your cash will be safe.
If only D.B. Cooper had one. Or maybe he did.

Elon says he is dedicated to running Tesla "for the next few years".

Once Elon starts going to space Tesla will need a clear successor, and I Imagine Elon will relinquish CEO position before he is part of the first human crew to Mars (I can't imagine a scenario where he doesn't want to be on that first Mars bound crewed Starship).