Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Arlington, TX. When I bought my Model Y in September, I was told by Tesla that I had to completely pay for the car before it could enter the state.
There are a bunch of different anecdotes I've heard. Mine was already in-state (showroom in San Antonio). When I paid, they shipped it to Houston.

Whew! That's a relief!

I was getting real worried they were going to make them release the factory emissions out the windows!

/s
E2eqrvvXMAI664C

No smokestacks in those renderings.

Sent "non-union" message to White House. Thanks Curt and Discoducky!
To my congressmen (and the other senator of my state as well)
"
Please put some effort into eliminating the labor union aspect of President Biden's. Labor unions are far too "political" to be in government.
Labor Unions are a special interest group that in the end take from other citizens by increased prices for goods. The Government should protect its people from unfair practices. Not corrupt, self-serving unions. And the Autoworkers union is by far the worst that impacts me.
If the President's proposed budget wants to really clean up the environment concerning (polluting) cars then it should more actively target the cars that are polluting.
Why don't YOU propose an "Anti-Pollution maker" incentive...the last time it was called a gas guzzler rebate but this time we are more concerned with what comes out instead of going in.
I have some thoughts on how it could work more efficiently to reduce carbon pollution.
First establish an equation for determining the rebate. Use the manufacturer's suggested MPG and the age of the vehicle to determine the amount of the rebate. Another consideration could be using the actual published average pollution output of the various makes and models. A different sized engine in the same Ford Pick-up is going to pollute more, or less.
And create an online site where people can go and enter the vehicle they are considering trading in so they can see how much the incentive would ACTUALLY be. The online site would provide clarity to the issue.

EXAMPLE
A 1999 Nissan 4-cylinder pick-up would be way past its shelf life so the pollution coming from it would be far greater due to being worn-out than a 2010 Nissan Pick-up with the exact same engine. So it should qualify for a larger rebate.
However comparing the Nissan 4-cylinder to a same year Audi 8-cylinder should result in the Nissan getting less of an incentive.

A person with some skill could make such a tool in a matter of a couple of days. And that would result in a massive increase in achieving the goal.
The broad-based simplification of any old car qualifying for $XXXX amount may result in a reduction of pollution, but targeting the worst polluters would result in far better improvement in air quality.

Sincerely,
Luke

And then this one to President Biden

President Biden,
I am fortunate enough to live very near the coast so the pollution issue I am writing to you about is not of great concern to me on a personal level. Everyday a cool seabreeze kicks in about 10 in the morning.
However you have struck a nerve with me so deep I am writing to you this morning (and frankly it is getting hot outside). And that is the part of your budget which promotes union jobs in the automotive sector. I am 64 damn years old. All my life I have worked for various companies and never needed a union to step in if my employer treated me unfairly. The Federal and State Governments provided laws that were adequate. Unions are corrupt. And they cause more harm than they are worth in today's environment just by the waste they create, and the additional cost of items produced.
I can't eliminate them, and I understand you need their support (and I don't like you when it comes to that). But you damn well sure should not be helping them by giving additional incentives to consumers to buy "Union-made" vehicles.
As I said, I understand you need their backing so you did what you did, but when it comes down to the final version I hope you don't fight too hard to keep that incentive as part of the Clean air plan, because frankly unions stink. Unions and clean air don't belong in the same paragraph.

Sincerely,
Luke Frisbee

E768E6C4-30B1-483A-871E-A68F885B83E5.jpeg
What are they talking about?🧐

To be fair, the click bait title doesn’t have anything to do with this analyst, he never said Tesla is getting into Lidar business, what he said is he don’t think Tesla is switching to Lidar for FSD.

Yahoo finance is resorting stupidity to get clicks. Their anchors were trying very hard to frame TSLA in negative tune, saying the SP is detached from reality, concerning about this and that, etc.

One interaction is interesting, anchor asked does he has concerns TSLA today is pricing Tesla to be the greatest auto manufacturer of all time. His answer is no concern at all, look at 10 year target of 12M cars per year.

Overall he doesn’t sound too bearish just conservative, with equal weight with 590 pt initiated today.

View attachment 667228What are they talking about?🧐

To be fair, the click bait title doesn’t have anything to do with this analyst, he never said Tesla is getting into Lidar business, what he said is he don’t think Tesla is switching to Lidar for FSD.

Yahoo finance is resorting stupidity to get clicks. Their anchors were trying very hard to frame TSLA in negative tune, saying the SP is detached from reality, concerning about this and that, etc.

One interaction is interesting, anchor asked does he has concerns TSLA today is pricing Tesla to be the greatest auto manufacturer of all time. His answer is no concern at all, look at 10 year target of 12M cars per year.

Overall he doesn’t sound too bearish just conservative, with equal weight with 590 pt initiated today.
Yahoo is no different than all the other sites...If it has a negative Tesla headline...people will click on it. That's why i just come to TMC for the 'real' news. It's more fun with you degenerates anyways.,... 😜 😜 😜 😜 😜

I live in Arlington, TX. When I bought my Model Y in September, I was told by Tesla that I had to completely pay for the car before it could enter the state.
Sure, as I said, the purchase transaction must be conducted out of state. That doesn't mean the vehicle must physically leave the state and return.

Paying for a vehicle is in no way determined by physical location of the car. It is a paperwork task.

Maybe they will ship the paperwork for the VIN, out of state, and once paid for, will grant delivery locally in Texas. And updating that paradigm since the pony express, the email and its associated electrons or blockchain ledger will be from out of state. The car will never leave Texas, it just won't have any registration or VIN declared till those electrons return from out of state...
That is exactly how I see this unfolding. No significant barrier to purchase and delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Except as already pointed out a lot of banks won't give you car loan money when there's no car or VIN or delivery date. (and you'd potentially be making payments for months on a vehicle you don't even have if they did so given sometimes deliveries end up months out today and likely even moreso for a high demand/initially low production thing like the cybertruck)
You are just being stubborn again for the sake of being difficult.

The security deposit is refundable if no VIN# is assigned, so the money never leaves the bank until that point. And, like I said, it's unlikely to ever come to this (having to ship the cars out of state before delivery). There are an infinite number of ways to circumvent these kind of laws so the law only comes into play if Tesla is challenged in court which is unlikely to happen, that is the point here. It would bring unwanted attention to the obvious protectionism going on at the expense of regular consumers.

The cat says, ‘Dude, it’s a different Tesla now.’ Back then Tesla had to fight for the ability to sell their cars direct for the business to survive. It was money well spent that turned into sales and ultimately contributed to Tesla’s success

Then as Tesla grew there came a point in time where that money was better spent somewhere else, nay, needed to be spent somewhere else.

But...it's not being spent elsewhere. No sure why you think this money has stopped being spent.

Tesla continues to spend millions of dollars a year lobbying at both the federal and state level.

That's just in the Austin area.

And until such time as states remove the bans on direct sales (20% of all US states right now) or heavily restrict sales locations (another 8 US states) they're going to continue spending it.

Because ultimately changing the law is the only way to fix it.

Elon will give Texas every chance to do the right thing and then if they don’t, he’ll crush whomever dares stand in the mission’s path. Just like he did in California when they tried to prevent Fremont from reopening during COVID.

As I said in my previous post to you; you’re too literal.

But... that's LITERLLY not what happened in Fremont.

he didn't "crush" anybody.

He opened a few days earlier than a county health board that had very limited enforcement authority to start with wanted him to.

This was not David v Goliath. It was Elon v. the retired guy at the Walmart exit that wants to check your receipt and Elon just kept walking.

In this case however ignoring the law in Texas (apart from potentially being physically impossible for plate/registration reasons) would involve violating actual state laws that the legislature has seemingly intentionally kept in place and the state governor repeatedly said he supported, and which is HIGHLY enforceable with a very well funded dealer lobby keeping pressure on to keep it that way.

Again this has been blocking direct Tesla sales for 9 years. If the solution were as simply as "Sell illegally nothing will happen!" they've had already done that long ago.

Yeah, I actually don’t think Tesla will do that. Here’s how it plays out:

Texas resident orders car, Tesla texts/calls and says we can’t sell you a car. You’ll have to wait until we put some cars ‘on a lot at one of our stores out of state’ (which is what they do now) and purchase it there, or you can pay to have a car shipped to you from out of state. No out of pocket expense for Tesla.

Or...and this is what I think Tesla should do; sell DIRECTLY to as many Texans as possible. Indeed, make a HUGE, PUBLIC display. Break every auto/dealer law, get sued by the Texas Dealerships, plaster the stupidity of it all on front page news, have Texans protest publicly and shame the legislators and whomever else wants to stand up and defend an archaic, ridiculous, anti-free market, et al law.

The easy Plan.
Just go ahead and make a Model Y at the GigaAustin by hand right now. Sell it to expressly challenge the law. Sell it to a sympathetic real Texan. Announce the selling of it as if it is a news article about the Gigafctory. Make the Dealerships come after them... Point out in the article that it was made in Texas for Texans. And sold in Texas.
(Have a lawyer go through whether Tesla can actually mention the laws that are in place to prevent such a transaction, and how it only hurts Texas if the law is foolishly upheld. And how the vehicle could be purchased if the vehicle was shipped out of state and then purchased and brought back in...thereby Texas missing out on the sales tax..or whatever)
Do it now.

Sure, as I said, the purchase transaction must be conducted out of state. That doesn't mean the vehicle must physically leave the state and return.

Except it literally does.

Tesla can not sell a vehicle if it is physically in Texas

It must physically be outside of Texas when the sale happens.

You are just being stubborn again for the sake of being difficult.

I'm really not. Your order of operation does not work.

The security deposit is refundable if no VIN# is assigned, so the money never leaves the bank until that point

Uh.. what?

A security deposit is money you give someone.

If it doesn't leave YOUR bank you didn't give anyone a security deposit at all.

Further- as I said- if it's financed, the bank doesn't usually just give you a suitcase of cash for a non-existent car you haven't bought yet.

Many banks specifically require an MVPA with an assigned VIN to cut a check at all.

. And, like I said, it's unlikely to ever come to this (having to ship the cars out of state before delivery). There are an infinite number of ways to circumvent these kind of laws

But you've yet to actually describe a single one that would work.

Weird.

The easy Plan.
Just go ahead and make a Model Y at the GigaAustin by hand right now. Sell it to expressly challenge the law. Sell it to a sympathetic real Texan. Announce the selling of it as if it is a news article about the Gigafctory.

If the state does not permit a sale within state- how do you sell it?

If the state won't title or register the vehicle to an owner in an illegal sale, it's not actually sold.

I'm honestly kinda shocked how many "investors" are advocating for just openly violating state laws and opening the company up to both criminal charges they'd need to spend $ to defend but also civil fines and civil lawsuits from both state agencies and dealer associations.

Last edited:
TSLA call IVs are going up despite the stock pulling back. The last 2 times this phenomenon happened (SP inclusion & early January) have seen the stock breaking out massively. Granted, this IV increase is not as drastic as previously, but still. Somebody is betting good money on it going up.
I generally see IV going up across the board whenever the stock pulls back. This doesn't seem new? To clarify, at least for the past several months, in general IV graphs and stock graphs look somewhat inverted for TSLA.