Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this presentation managed to fail even the most modest expectations.

- zero mention of 4680, cybertruck, roadster, or any new product.
- 390 mile range for the Plaid is below the lowest expectations.
- elon was clearly seeing these slides for the first time, and was so awkward it was hard to watch.

overall, just a huge "why did they even bother?" from me.
This was the 'Model S Plaid Delivery Event' - not Cybertruck, or Roadster, or any new product. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This sums Plaid all on one graph.

Shows how impressive the motors and battery powertrain is.

Basically 1000HP from 60mph all the way to 200 mph. Wow!

Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 12.09.01 AM.png

he said they hope to get to 100 (or was it a few hundred?) a week "soon" and 1000 a week next quarter. So I'm assuming they are not much higher than 100 a week right now, if that. Only 25 delivered today he said.

So I think you have look past the technicalities of Elon saying "We'll be at a few hundred a week soon". To Elon, that "soon" could mean tomorrow for all we know and "several hundred" could be anywhere from 300-500 a week. What we do know is that they've been consistently producing them. There's hundreds in the lots already and we've seen some being loaded onto trucks. Seems like they're already at a rate of 200/week right now, if not more.

Well we got ourselves into an expectation frenzy. Nothing new but doesn't take away from the amazing car this is. One of the most abused marketing phrases in the automotive world is 'all new'. This is pretty all new except ironically most of the exterior. New motor, new pack, new chassis, new interior, new software, new HVAC. This is Tesla's best foot forward on every aspect of a car. On pretty much any measure the best car in the world. Looking forward to my long range S in August (which for reference will add ~70% more range than my 2012 Model S).
I don’t understand how people can be saying nothing new. There was all kinds of new stuff; new motor tech (they had to design a machine first so they could make the motors), new glass that keeps the interior quiet even at 100mph, new UI, new Tesla designed sound system, new gaming architecture, the ability to sync and use multiple devices at the same time, new placement of the interior seating to provide more rear seating room and comfort, reduced interior trims etc., etc...

no calls, no puts, no short term positions of any kind. I merely own roughly 6,500 shares of Tesla stock. and i'd appreciate it if they could put together a professional presentation for major livestreamed events.
But you complained that it will materially affect the stock, and I think that is absurd unless you care about time periods of weeks.

This sums Plaid all on one graph.

Shows how impressive the motors and battery powertrain is.

Basically 1000HP from 60mph all the way to 200 mph. Wow!

View attachment 672032
Yeah, I really want to know more about those motors, and whether they will eventually trickle down to the non-plaid vehicles.

Event was boring, but German engineers are scratching their heads in disbelief. Electric motor that holds its power to 20,000 rpm!!! They had to build a special machine to make the carbon wrapped motors. Again, Tesla's biggest advantage is its pace of innovation. Most aerodynamic, fastest, safest, most technologically advanced car in the world. Other cars have software that barely works, and this is a tablet/computer on steroids.

no calls, no puts, no short term positions of any kind. I merely own roughly 6,500 shares of Tesla stock. and i'd appreciate it if they could put together a professional presentation for major livestreamed events.
Seems like Elon landed and went straight for the event with zero rehearsal with the control room. Oh well..you can't have it all. Elon is the face of Tesla so you want him to speak. But we all know he's not the best at speaking, and he is busy with rockets/constructing new factories so he has no time to rehearse either.

I don’t understand how people can be saying nothing new. There was all kinds of new stuff; new motor tech (they had to design a machine first so they could make the motors), new glass that keeps the interior quiet even at 100mph, new UI, new Tesla designed sound system, new gaming architecture, the ability to sync and use multiple devices at the same time, new placement of the interior seating to provide more rear seating room and comfort, reduced interior trims etc., etc...
I think everyone is thinking about their calls or share price. The event was cool and I really like the car but this doesn't move the share price.

I think getting a top notch PR firm/presentation would be money well spent for an event like this. Tesla remains the buzz through all generations. There is no harm nor shame in promoting and displaying the excellence that went into and manifests in the car. He is talking like an engineer, and from personal experience, no one wants to hear an engineer talk...

Two things glossed over that I look forward to learning more about is the all new battery pack and new carbon wrapped powertrain. Form factor is mildly interesting, but would like to hear the improvements in weight, power capacity, power output, cost savings, and recharge rate.

Looking to the future do we see these plaid powertrains being introduced as performance engines across all platforms? Or completely replacing all powertrains? Or, like the raven powerplant, will we only see these in plaid model s and x vehicles?

Seems like Elon landed and went straight for the event with zero rehearsal with the control room. Oh well..you can't have it all. Elon is the face of Tesla so you want him to speak. But we all know he's not the best at speaking, and he is busy with rockets/constructing new factories so he has no time to rehearse either.

Maybe Elon can take 30 minutes from tweeting about crypto to practice his presentations?

That power curve was the most impressive thing of the reveal. No other manufacturer has anything like it and the ones that try can't even match the range and efficiency. No drop in power all the way to 200 mph!
Agreed. Other impressive items: motor tech, reduced cold weather range loss, sound system.

As for the presentation, I dislike the formulaic slow-pan videos and enjoy the awkward stuttering Elon. Seems so much more authentic to me. Don't feel I am being sold.

For years I have looked at what Elon does through this lens: 'One of the worlds most gifted engineers with the sense of humour of a 14 year old'. I find if I keep that in mind I am rarely surprised by his actions.