Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hate to bring this 4680 question up again. Does anyone know for sure anything about this - or do we have to wait for Munroe Live to do their Plaid S teardown? Incidentally anyone can help speed up this happening by buying their $10 sticker or joining their Patreon .
Bringing this up because of this YT video from Tesla Economist where he makes the point that it makes a lot of sense to use the Kato road production for the Plaid production which is right next door in Fremont - getting max profits from that current Pilot plant production. Rather than ship to TX or Berlin. Also considering the MS Fremont production line was down for a long time.

Reactions: FireMedic
I may get some disagrees for this, but I don't agree that TSLA's performance today marks it as a good day. TSLA is by far underperforming other EV stocks:

View attachment 674421

I didn't include it, but NKLA is also up about 7% as well.
Tesla certain dropped the most out of all my stocks yesterday and recovered the least today. Tesla is still in a bear market and requires some kind of moody upgrade to investment grade kind of catalyst, or just blow out deliveries.

I may get some disagrees for this, but I don't agree that TSLA's performance today marks it as a good day. TSLA is by far underperforming other EV stocks:

View attachment 674421

Just as a follow up to this, the gap is even crazier if we expand the window to 1 month. Other EV stocks have appreciated between 9-16x as much as TSLA in the past month:

1623945776424.png

Ironically and in contrast with most of the people here (including myself), within the past month, the stock market has significantly increased it's bullishness on all of TSLA's competitors.

Tesla certain dropped the most out of all my stocks yesterday and recovered the least today. Tesla is still in a bear market and requires some kind of moody upgrade to investment grade kind of catalyst, or just blow out deliveries.
IMO we bottomed on 5/19. We've been making mostly higher highs and higher lows since then, and have been riding the long-term trendline higher.

It definitely feels like there's a lot of downward pressure still, but I think shares are flowing from the weaker hands and people with huge gains already to new longer-term investors. Also, funds have had to cut down their position because it became an outsized part of their portfolio, which I think is mostly completed already. All of this while Tesla continues to improve the business - the stock is being set up for the next leg higher right now :)

Hate to bring this 4680 question up again. Does anyone know for sure anything about this - or do we have to wait for Munroe Live to do their Plaid S teardown? Incidentally anyone can help speed up this happening by buying their $10 sticker or joining their Patreon .
Bringing this up because of this YT video from Tesla Economist where he makes the point that it makes a lot of sense to use the Kato road production for the Plaid production which is right next door in Fremont - getting max profits from that current Pilot plant production. Rather than ship to TX or Berlin. Also considering the MS Fremont production line was down for a long time.

How about, Elon told us for certain during the 2020 Q4 conference call that Plaid Model S would continue using the 18650 form factor for at least a few years?

That's not to say it's the same old bty cell: it's the soup that matters, not the can it comes in.

Plaid+ (scheduled for a mid-2022 debut before being cancelled) is a different story. One that should be allow to rest now.

Thanks in advance.

The only people that know for sure are Tesla. At the Q4 2020 ER Elon stated that the S uses 18650. Bear in mind that was in January 2021 when the S/X line was in the process of being rebuilt - far too late for any significant design changes to be incorporated.

In this situation my tendency is to believe Elon's statement. There does not seem to be any benefit to him misinforming shareholders and analysts when the form factor is bound to become public quickly through a teardown (or inspection of a crashed unit).

Edit: @Artful Dodger beat me to it :)

If you're not going to believe both the most reliable source that actually works at GFNV (Bill Wright) who explicitly said Plaid was 18650, and you're not going to believe Panasonic who has reported no disruption to their business of supplying 18650s to Tesla, and you're not going to believe Elon Musk, who also explicitly said Plaid is 18650, I'm not really sure who you will believe.

I guess the same applies to that "tesla economist" guy in the video.

View attachment 674421

At least we’re beating the ‘most important’ EV companies: GM -3.61% and F -2.43% :p

tesla related: UK. Cheap advertising, especially if police forces buy. In UK, fuel & maintenance for police cars is high. Makes sense to go EV. Seeing these on the road should dispel some FUD myths. Tesla should do this in every country IMO. Police understanding Teslas, cameras, Autopilot would be useful

"Tesla UK has revealed a police liveried Model 3 saloon fitted with blues-and-twos, which the company says will be available to emergency services across the UK for trial and assessment. "

Also very nice to see a post that is related to the subject matter. Not sure what happened to this thread. I have it bookmarked to stop by occasionally and read about TSLA and investing, but the thread has taken quite the detour of late. Go TSLA!

And this is one of your 9 posts ever on this forum. Perhaps contribute something useful?

Interesting that more G's are generated during acceleration than deceleration. Clearly they're at the limits of tire friction. So Roadster won't be quicker (without air thrusters). Nice engineering breakdown of this on the linked video (ignore the clickbait title).

View attachment 674395

Except in this case it makes sense if you think about it. The idea is that braking distance generally gives you the upper limit of tire friction capability... so in general it's harder to accelerate faster than you can stop (assuming your brake system is up to par).

However, in this case they are prepping the launch area with a friction-enhancing compound (VHT), however that same treatment isn't present at the end of the track. Therefore there's more friction available for launching than stopping in this instance.

Last edited:
Except in this case it makes sense if you think about it. The idea is that braking distance generally gives you the upper limit of tire friction capability... so in general it's harder to accelerate faster than you can stop (assuming your brake system is up to par).

However, in this case they are prepping the launch area with a friction-enhancing compound (VHT), however that same treatment isn't present at the end of the track. Therefore there's more friction available for launching than stopping in this instance.

Weight shifts rearward to the larger tires in back during acceleration. Weight shifts forward to the smaller tires in front during deacceleration. That's all it takes to understand that braking distance from speed is NOT an accurate predictor of max. possible acceleration to that speed. The Engineering Explained video gets it wrong.

Weight shifts rearward to the larger tires in back during acceleration. Weight shifts forward to the smaller tires in front during deacceleration. That's all it takes to understand that braking distance from speed is NOT an accurate predictor of max. possible acceleration to that speed. The Engineering Explained video gets it wrong.
It's been a while since I watched it, but if I recall, he does mention that briefly and that's why it's an approximation...?