Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
um, you folks do realize there is at least 1 extra Shelby Cobra out there, that was 3D printed, so $20,000,000 1 offs will be copied a bit and if I recall, the copy is electric
(in the near future, chassis by somebody, body by somebody else)
(in the mid 1960's we got a Facele Comete, chassis by Ford, shipped to France and body installed there SN 1,136 or something close, it's sitting in a barn in Virginia, along with a 1941 Lincoln)
1629063014327.png

Attachments

• 1629063062887.png
    1629063062887.png
    749.4 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Achieving performance comparable to the 2020 Tesla Roadster is impressive, and kudos to them for being first to preproduction. But at 10x the price it is hardly mindblowing.
The Nevera achieved the performance in roughly 2018. It’s also their first ‘mass’ production effort & hence well beyond the performance of Roadster 1.0 - Tesla’s first ‘mass’ produced car

I was in the belief that Tesla doesn't really "Sandbag" any more and there hasn't been a "...and 1 more thing" in a long time but it looks like they are greatly sandbagging their SuC rollout. I haven't kept up with areas outside of my general vicinity of North Carolina, USA as much but in this area there are 2 SuC location that are greatly ahead of schedule and 1 location that is already under construction and isn't even a "planned" location on the official Tesla SuC Map that was just updated about 2 weeks ago.
I really don't think this isn't an anomaly with just with SuC rollout in this geographic location, but really the bubbling of something in the works that is about to be revealed before too long. Tesla is starting to hold its cards a little closer to their chest and not reveal everything that they plan to do until its already done (or too late for the "competition" i.e. Carbon sleeved rotors to eliminate a 2 speed gearbox).

He did, and without insurance.

Crashed, but not totaled. It was repaired and sold.
Musk reportedly had it repaired and hung on to it until 2007 when he sold it at a profit, which isn't that surprising considering the car is worth over $20 million today.

Did You Know Elon Musk Wrecked an Uninsured McLaren F1?

He did, and without insurance.
In order to total a car it has to cost more to fix than it would be worth. It's a nice negative media narrative that it was a total loss but the engine and drivetrain were undamaged. Musk's F1 was repaired and sold for a profit:

According to a recent report, the Tesla CEO ended up paying to get the car repaired, and held onto it until 2007, when he (unsurprisingly) managed to sell it for a tidy profit.

McLaren has a good history of repairing crashed ones. You don't buy parts you send it back so they fix it up.

Further to James Stephenson's tweet stream earlier today, I've adapted one of his excellent charts to show more clearly just how outstanding Tesla's revenue was in 2021H1.

Tesla's growth has been spectacular since the founding of the Company, and that growth is accelerating: (the chart below shows revenue bars comparing just H1 for each year)

Tesla H1 Revenue since inception.png

Cheers!

Last edited:
Might’ve missed this since it was posted on Reddit 4 days ago, but hilarious FSD comparison between Tesla and Mercedes:

Wow! So that's what Level 3 self-driving is like! I never knew, I thought they put them in numerical order!

Hopefully Tesla skips Level 3 and just goes directly to Level 4!

I really don't think this isn't an anomaly with just with SuC rollout in this geographic location, but really the bubbling of something in the works that is about to be revealed before too long. Tesla is starting to hold its cards a little closer to their chest and not reveal everything that they plan to do until its already done (or too late for the "competition" i.e. Carbon sleeved rotors to eliminate a 2 speed gearbox).

There's no mystery here- Tesla had been behind/continually missing on their intended supercharger install targets for years- and as the fleet continued to scale that was simply unsustainable.

Unlike then, Tesla no longer needs to hold back on this stuff as they've got far more than ample cash flow now.

Add on the also-revealed-a-while-ago intent to open the charging network to other brands EVs and the fact they're scaling installs much faster now is exactly what you'd expect to be happening-- not just here in NC, but everywhere.

You are so right but there is no defined defination of "Production car". I think it should only include cars at a certain widespread production level say 5,000 per year. Less than 200 is not IMHO, a production car but rather a special edition.

In the world of finance the terms large cap, mid cap and small cap are not defined by anyone either. When I worked for Janus (15 yrs ago) we defined small as anything less than 1.5 billion. Other investment companies e.g. Fidelity at the time defined it as any company less than 2 billion. And don't even get started with the whole micro cap and mega cap. The point is that it is not a defined number accepted by the financial services industry. Nor is the term "production car" other than the fact someone is making more than a couple for sale to the public.
agreed. There is no specific definition. But most industry people think of a production car as one made on a moving assembly line. The Rimac will not be made on one and essentially is hand built. In fact if the rimac is counted as a production car, pretty much everything where they make 10 or more suddenly becomes a production car. Which makes the term “production car”, meaningless.

The Rimac is not a production car.

You are so right but there is no defined defination of "Production car". I think it should only include cars at a certain widespread production level say 5,000 per year. Less than 200 is not IMHO, a production car but rather a special edition.

In the world of finance the terms large cap, mid cap and small cap are not defined by anyone either. When I worked for Janus (15 yrs ago) we defined small as anything less than 1.5 billion. Other investment companies e.g. Fidelity at the time defined it as any company less than 2 billion. And don't even get started with the whole micro cap and mega cap. The point is that it is not a defined number accepted by the financial services industry. Nor is the term "production car" other than the fact someone is making more than a couple for sale to the public.
The original Tesla Roadster wouldn't qualify as a "Production Car" under your arbitrary definition.