Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Q3 Earning Estimates
Here are the Q3 forecasts that we have thus far:

View attachment 720699

I am concerned because I am actually higher than Warren Redlich the ultra-Bull. 😲

My numbers:
- exclude any potential impairment charge for Bitcoin (could range from $0.00 to $0.08 per share)
- exclude any recognition of FSD Deferred Revenue
- exclude any recognition of the Deferred Tax Benefit

Still waiting on forecasts from Rob Maurer, James Stephenson and the Tesla Economist.
I will post my detailed forecast in the other thread shortly.
Did you hear Elon at the shareholder meeting when he talked about paying to have parts shipped around the world? I guess we have no way to track this, but have you accounted for a rough stab-in-the-dark ballpark estimate of shipping costs for sending parts around the world? (Edit: Yes, I'm looking for excuses just to make your estimates more conservative, just so I'm more excited when the numbers come out).

This is why I'm very bearish on FSD. Elon keeps talking about a "global maximum" on what I assume to be some kind of probability density function.
Even if they do get there, there is no guarantee that the maximum be able to drive at an acceptable level for regular consumers and regulators.

Answering this particular point, as well as all others you mentioned earlier: this seems very difficult unless you have already some minimal understanding of the technical advances made so far. Personally I have not ever succeeded in convincing anyone yet, even among friends who had excellent general physics/ engineering or/ and financial knowledge. Convincing them of the huge advances Tesla has accomplished and is continuing to accomplish. And the huge gaps in Wall Street valuations and public awareness.

This is not too surprising, since I myself would not have been convinced at all either way back in 2018 before I bought a car*, after a 20 year hiatus. Prior to that I didn't even see the difference between hybrids and pure EV's. Having bought a car, I got interested in all things car wise again, and figured out the Tesla story after a year of on /off research.

On the point of FSD, and "global maximum" - this is getting into fine points (why are there local maxima, what are they, what is level 5 autonomy etc) which I believe will get resolved aka not needing understanding -like grammar for speaking- as FSD improves/ evolves and becomes better known. What does tilt the credibility balance for me all in favor of Tesla/ Elon Musk is my understanding of the AI tech that has been explained and demonstrated so far. This is equivalent to when the first AI/ NN critical turning point happened as Google's voice transcription became near perfect ,and automatic translation acceptable.

So, I do once in a while try and convince a select few friends, mostly as a matter of (anthropological?) curiosity; but I don't expect being able to convince anyone anymore.

How would one go about learning enough to be at a sufficient level of understanding? Since we all have different backgrounds and no one can be expected to know ea area in detail, this is left TBD (to be done /determined), and would include some of the information in the previous responses.

(*) That car is a Mercedes CLK350, hence my TCM name - figuring out the Tesla story paid for her many times over ; )

[OT philosophy 102]
I am amazed at how we as a human race have been able to survive, considering we really are like an agglomeration of tribes, and maybe we are on the verge of extinction thanks to the 1% tribe of our de facto leaders/ deciders.

Amusing thought (or not, LITSOD "Laughter is the smile of despair"), new tech (social engineering, centralized information dissemination/ censoring, the extreme being China, not as subtle as the US) has amplified that tribal effect. By tribal effect I mean how what we believe is mostly what is the norm for the tribe we belong to, so that "first principle thinkers" like Elon Musk are very rare. In the same way as 0.5% of males are descendants of Genghis Khan, now maybe 50% of humans have the mRNA encoded in their genes - LITSOD .

Last edited:
That's helpful thanks. Do you think it's much of an issue that the 2 new factories are close to opening and they will be incurring close to the normal operational costs but without any revenues?
Most of the ramp up costs would be capitalized (go to balance sheet as plant and equipment, eventually amortized in to cost of goods produced from that factory).

For the record - my Chinese numerologist says the accumulation of 8's is an excellent sign .. also note the timing 14:12 adds up to 8. Wavy Elliott take this !

TSLA.chart.211012.1412.jpg

Not sure if posted already. Tesla Megapack up and running in Waaslandhaven Belgium

TSLA looking strong. $808 at the moment.
Time to release the FUD!

2 Injured After Tesla Runs Off Road Near Potomac: Officials

Last edited:
TSLA looking strong. $808 at the moment.
Time to release the FUD!

2 Injured After Tesla Runs Off Road Near Potomac: Officials

I'm sure they were doing the speed limit and on their way to church at 2am

Weird. As anybody familiar with software knows, it's much cheaper to keep all your customers on n-1 versions, to reduce your support and testing costs. That's one reason why most software is going to the Cloud for better, (much) cheaper products.

If I'm Ford and don't incentivize my customers to upgrade, think about their legal exposure if a customer crashes because they had out-of-date software in their car, that Ford could have pushed down.

It's in the manufacturer's best interest that their client base is current! It's not worth $100 if I have to support another legacy version.

These are just map updates-generally created by third parties, and typically running on 3rd party mapping engines anyway- there's nothing to really "support" for Ford if people do or do not update if it's only map data changes. Nor any liability if they don't update- it's not like the vehicle is actively driving itself or anything.

Charging stupid amounts for map updates on an annual basis has been a consistent source of legacy revenue (Lexus, back when I owned one, got $300 a year for map updates- though at a quick glance now they're down in the $170-210 range these days).

I'd expect most legacy to cling to these revenue streams as long as possible since they seem so bad at finding new ones.