Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good point. However, Tesla won't sell us Powerwalls if we don't also combine it with solar panels or solar roof. For those of us who already have solar panels, we're SOL. I expect this to change when batteries are more plentiful.

We were without power for 29 hours over the weekend. I would LOVE to be able to use our Teslas as temporary power sources for the home.

You are not SOL. Go to a 3rd party and have them install Powerwalls for you. In our neighborhood, no less than 12 houses have had this done in the past year since Tesla stopped selling only Powerwalls.

Elon has clearly said VTG is not going to happen.

You are not SOL. Go to a 3rd party and have them install Powerwalls for you. In our neighborhood, no less than 12 houses have had this done in the past year since Tesla stopped selling only Powerwalls.

I didn't know that; thanks! I'll have to look into it.

No end to learning on this forum.....

I think he/she was referring to VTH and not VTG...your point might still stand but big difference. Being able to use your car battery to supply power to my house for a couple of hours every year or 2 would be great. No need to supply the grid. Also, I don't believe I can even get powerwalls in my area. Unfortunately solar is out of the question but last time I check Tesla solar panel/roof not an option in my area. Things are a lot different with Tesla and solar in California compared to CNY.

Seems like an odd way to describe selling. Bearish much?
Certainly not!
Look at it as an alternative to selling the underlying. Don't want to do that, but if some bank gives you an opportunity to cash in without losing stock, cheaply, why not take it if cash is available?
Yes, could have bought a little more stock instead. Now that money is leveraged 5x, I recovered my bet and get to keep another 4x or so in value.
Mind you, it took time, a half year or so, and some stubbornness to keep adding. Don't want to kill this golden goose too quickly, so still have about 40% left.
And, all of this in a non-taxed account. What's not to like? Only wish more cash had been available. C'est la vie, n'est ce pas?

Reactions: UncaNed
But as an investor in Tesla, while the EV credit does nothing for Tesla's ability to produce more vehicles, it will have profound impacts on Tesla's earnings starting in mid-late 2022 and for the next 5+ years on.

The EV credits as currently proposed would actually limit the number of cars Tesla could put on the road. Because it incentivizes hybrids (which will suck up batteries and raw materials) and it will prop up automakers who would otherwise fail (and they will suck up batteries and raw materials). Tesla can scale roughly as quickly as the raw materials and batteries allow.

This bill subsidizes mediocrity which is what Tesla has been fighting against. Things are not always as they appear. How fewer cars at a higher price would impact Tesla's earnings is not entirely clear but, in this scenario the obscene expense to the federal budget would virtually guarantee the subsidies are phased out rather quickly. So, long-term I like the scenario of Tesla showing the world how to electrify without government subsidies. It puts Tesla on a better long-term trajectory.

Last edited:
I think he/she was referring to VTH and not VTG...your point might still stand but big difference. Being able to use your car battery to supply power to my house for a couple of hours every year or 2 would be great. No need to supply the grid. Also, I don't believe I can even get powerwalls in my area. Unfortunately solar is out of the question but last time I check Tesla solar panel/roof not an option in my area. Things are a lot different with Tesla and solar in California compared to CNY.

VTH and VTG are basically the same thing from the perspective of the car. You need beefier and more reliable AC/DC inverters and frequency modulation (home appliances don't like out-of-spec voltage and frequency).

Plus, I'm sure Tesla Legal has discussed potential liability ramifications of something like this if there is a problem and someone's house catches on fire.

Also, would not be Elon's first effort using a 'new' approach to education.
Synthesis teaches kids to thrive in complexity

"Six years ago, Elon Musk asked me to start an experimental school with him at SpaceX.

The goal was to develop students who are enthralled by complexity and solving for the unknown.

Synthesis is the most innovative learning experience from that school. It is designed to cultivate student voice, strategic thinking, and collaborative problem solving.

I believe Synthesis builds these skills like no other education experience.

Until recently, Synthesis was only available to a handful of SpaceX families. Today, our community is worldwide and growing quickly. Excited for you to be a part of it.

Josh Dahn
Cofounder & Creative Director"
Synthesis is fantastic. My 11 year old started doing it last year, and this year we went all in with him joining AstraNova,

I wasn't aware Elon said that... Wouldn't "Vehicle to Powerwall" potentially be a lifesaver in situations like @sroh 's though?

...vastly extending the useable stored power in an extended emergency, if not vastly increasing the utility of the Powerwall..

Editing - @bkp_duke , after all, the Powerwall is 13.5 KWH - my Tesla is 5.5 times the capacity of one Powerwall. If the car battery chemistry happens to be practical for power arbitrage (my early 2018 X75D is not) - then that boosts potential distributed power greatly for little extra cost; better use of existing batteries. And yes, my car is parked at home a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: dhanson865
I agree.
Being a student in electromechanical engineering myself (though in Belgium, so it's only ~900€/annum), I really don't think what I'm learning is that valuable. I find myself getting much more value in the last two Munro videos than in any course I have/had. With everything I'm learning trough following Tesla closely, I find that universities are lame (or maybe it's just the one I'm going to haha).
The idea of an "Elon-style first principles makeover" hypes me.
The point of going to university for engineering *is* to learn the first principles and the systems of formal logic that empower you to make deductions from the principles. Formal university education is not the only way to learn that stuff, but almost everyone would struggle majorly without the social environment and structure of a college. Few can be effective autodidacts right from the start, and odds are you aren't among them. When you get into industry you can often witness this in the difference between technicians and engineers, at least the good engineers, who tend to be the ones who paid attention in class and truly learned the material instead of just copying off others' work and using test banks for short-term cramming in order to earn the credential and thereby fake their way into a job, Like all intelligent social species, humans by default learn by rote copying of what others are doing. Learning theory and then how to apply it to practical problems is vastly more work and is much slower initially when the immediate need could usually be satisfied more quickly by asking someone experienced how they did it. If your goal is to be a mediocre engineer, this could be a viable educational strategy.

Without developing a deep understanding of the underlying principles, any attempt to see further than others around you is basically shooting in the dark. At best, you'll succeed by getting lucky. More likely, your idea will suck and you won't even understand why it's not working. (Unsurprisingly, this is why companies where managers and bean counters think they know better than the engineers so often fail.) You also won't have any good way of distinguishing between good advice from other engineers and terrible advice. For instance, how do you really know that Munro is giving good advice? Could you, if pressed, write a step-by-step proof starting with atomic physics to demonstrate why his ideas are correct? Could you identify when he's made a mistake and articulate why? (FYI, I've observed him make a few, although most of the time he's right.) If you're familiar with Plato's Cave allegory, you'll be like one of the cave dwellers interpreting the movement of the shadows on the wall instead of being enlightened by stepping outside and seeing the true nature of the sun.

As Musk's track record and Tony Seba's research have shown us, truly radical disruptive improvements usually come from convergence--strange combinations of technologies from seemingly disparate fields. Without understanding the deep unifying physical laws, design patterns etc. you will have a hell of a time succeeding at this because it'll take you waaay longer to soak up new information from other fields outside your area of expertise. The fact that Elon looks at knowledge as a semantic tree like this is how, to everyone's astonishment, he is able to learn from so many other fields and integrate that knowledge into innovations no one else thought possible.

I would advise you to be patient and focus on your education while *also* getting started on practical projects, watching Munro Live and the like. I strongly advise signing up for at least one advanced pure math class based on learning how to write rigorous proofs of theorems. And possibly, your particular university is lame, in which case you need to transfer ASAP. Win the long game.

Last edited:
The EV credits as currently proposed would actually limit the number of cars Tesla could put on the road. Because it incentivizes hybrids (which will suck up batteries and raw materials) and it will prop up automakers who would otherwise fail (and they will suck up batteries and raw materials). Tesla can scale roughly as quickly as the raw materials and batteries allow.

This bill subsidizes mediocrity which is what Tesla has been fighting against. Things are not always as they appear.
That doesn't make any sense unless you actually think Hybrids will eat away at Tesla's demand, which I kinda think is funny. The amount of batteries going into a hybrid is non-material and Tesla has their battery supply already locked up. There is no cap on # of sales per manufacturer, no overall dollar amount cap for the EV credit/rebate program, and it doesn't phase out until 2030. There's zero way it limits the number of Tesla's on the road.

The bill absolutely subsidizes/rewards mediocrity. That sucks, we all know it sucks. But it doesn't change my opinion that if the EV credit bill fails, in about 6 months, you would see many legacy auto makers announce delays in their EV plans......and they'll keep delaying them. The fact is that for them to be viable with EV's, they HAVE to have this EV credit. They can't even remotely compete with Tesla on pricing, it would bankrupt them much faster than them just taking the approach of "We think EV's are just a fad" and running ICE into the ground.

Here we go. Republicans making a stronger move against the union provision.

The enemy of the enemy of my friend is my ... ? Frenemy?

Now we need them to go after the real problem with the tax credit which is hybrids.