Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
teslatouch$t1T.png

I guess Tesla Touches $1T looks like: $T1T

Anyone know if there's any truth to the Y coming to Hertz? If the Hertz order keeps getting upsized we'll be at $1,500 by EoY.

Hertz could be buying Model Y's in the regular organic way of just placing orders where they order through website and will just add the Model Y's as they get delivered. I think the 100,000 Model 3 SR order was something Tesla could guarantee, whereas Model 3 LR and Model Y, they couldn't.

Tesla could also be in contact with Hertz as customers delay delivery and essentially diverting any canceled deliveries Hertz's way.

Why not roll them up & out?
950 short calls for me is very ITM. My estimates is I might get 1050 at net credit if I go out to March 2022.

That would be after cars are rolling out of Berlin and Texas.

Can I outrun 1050 in March?

I don't think so, and I hope not for the sake of my 80% longs and the people long here that deserve to keep on winning for their faith. :)

Best I can do is to overpower the realized losses on this roll is with a guts strangle while simultaneously stave the options exercise long enough for 2022 deferral. If I'm going to have to take a risk to realize losses, I would rather be ITM short putting TSLA than being ITM, short calling TSLA. And you can't lose on both sides of the trade at the same time with covered strangles.

The short puts work better carrying those to 2024 than trying to carry short calls to 2024.

Last edited:
Last edited:
My price target prediction for end of 2021 is $1462.74. Why? Because it's the average of all of the guesses given over the past several pages.

Sorry if I missed anybody out. ;)

pt-2021-png.645202

Okay then, predict $1,208.50 for the Dec 31, 2021 Closing SP, based on YTD δ.

Cheers!

P.S. @Unpilot came in at $1,069 for your table above.
P.P.S. @Chenkers , @Sofie Nice estimates. :D

Last edited:
Some serious questions for 30th August:
1. What did Tesla invest in GF Austin, and move HQ to Texas when Texas will not allow Tesla to be sold by them through stores?
2. What did Texas BEV incentives explicitly exclude Tesla?
3. To both questions, why did Texas stay discussion of automating exclude Tesla entirely?
Their excuse may be that they're still using 2013 data.
4.Why has Texas suddenly acted to encourage the FAA to restrict SpaceX activities in Boca Chica?

This all is beginning to seem 'slightly suspicious'

Perhaps Tesla dn SpaceX may have been a bit premature in their enthusiasm.

Not sure I understand what you are trying to say.

You really think Elon would have bet all his work on one state that might screw up everything? I seriously doubt that.

With $70 going to Tesla and a bunch going to taxes (which can be withheld by Tesla).
Answering a couple of questions to do with this and CA taxation of option grants.
First, the tax must be withheld by the broker, not "can be", and not by Tesla, but that's just a nit. It gets sent directly to the relevant tax authorities.
No tax is payable on the grant of options, either to the IRS or the FTB (Franchise Tax Board, the California equivalent of the IRS).
However California considers options granted to an employee to be income in the state the employee lives in at the time of grant. So all of Elon's options will, when exercised, be considered to be income earned in California, and taxed as such by both IRS and FTB. Even if he lives in Elysium Planitia.

Source: 25 years of experience exercising and granting options in CA.

Wife is like why are you so stressed!!?!?!?!?!?!? I thought Tesla is all time high?

Yes Uhhh 20% of our TSLA position is locked in via ITM short calls held hostage by people smarter than me and more bullish than me??!

So far I think I've managed to recover 20 cents on the dollar by short strangling the calls with more aggressive short puts.

I have ~5 days from now to take action before I get exercised.

I feel like I will have to do something ridiculous like sell 1300 Puts and hope I stay ITM for it to keep my shares and not take a bath. 🤣
I’ve been splitting all my ditm medium term calls and 2x the contract price then selling a new short term atm call against the new long term call. That has only kept pace with the stock but has also reduced my short term realized gains to almost zero (because the atm calls have been run over so hard) and moved them to short term unrealized gains (because the split medium term calls have been gaining). Rollling the sold weekly calls the last three weeks has been very stressfull. What a month!

Last edited:
Hertz could be buying Model Y's in the regular organic way of just placing orders where they order through website and will just add the Model Y's as they get delivered. I think the 100,000 Model 3 SR order was something Tesla could guarantee, whereas Model 3 LR and Model Y, they couldn't.

Tesla could also be in contact with Hertz as customers delay delivery and essentially diverting any canceled deliveries Hertz's way.

+ Possible LFP SR Ys with the new LFP battery supply rumors
++ Eating up any possible extra Q4 inventory if buyers try to wait for the credit

Exciting times. I need to close out my last couple covered calls on Monday.

Sigh, the options tax question for CA state, again?

Officially covered here:

"
Example 2

On February 1, 2010, while a resident of California, your company grants you nonstatutory stock options. You perform all of your services in California from February 1, 2010 to May 1, 2013, the date you leave the company and permanently move to Texas. On June 1, 2013, you exercise your nonstatutory stock options.

Determination:

The difference between the fair market value of the shares on June 1, 2013, and the option price is characterized as compensation for services having a source in California – the state where you performed all of your services."

TL;DR:

Stock options granted while a resident of CA and working there will result in CA taxes, even if you move out of state and exercise them after you move.

My price target prediction for end of 2021 is $1462.74. Why? Because it's the average of all of the guesses given over the past several pages.

Sorry if I missed anybody out. ;)

pt-2021-png.645202

Okay then, predict $1,208.50 for the Dec 31, 2021 Closing SP, based on YTD δ.

Cheers!

P.S. @Unpilot came in at $1,069 for your table above.
P.P.S. @Chenkers , @Sofie Nice estimates. :D
Oops. See I'm running out of headroom quickly here.
Can't recall when I made that prediction but so far on the right side of history.
So, privately upping my shot-in-the-dark bet to, say -- 1492? Columbian egg number. 😇

Wife is like why are you so stressed!!?!?!?!?!?!? I thought Tesla is all time high?

Yes Uhhh 20% of our TSLA position is locked in via ITM short calls held hostage by people smarter than me and more bullish than me??!

So far I think I've managed to recover 20 cents on the dollar by short strangling the calls with more aggressive short puts.

I have ~5 days from now to take action before I get exercised.

I feel like I will have to do something ridiculous like sell 1300 Puts and hope I stay ITM for it to keep my shares and not take a bath. 🤣
Remind me again - you trade options why?

Oops. See I'm running out of headroom quickly here.
Can't recall when I made that prediction but so far on the right side of history.
So, privately upping my shot-in-the-dark bet to, say -- 1492? Columbian egg number. 😇
March 16, 2021.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog
Anyone know if there's any truth to the Y coming to Hertz? If the Hertz order keeps getting upsized we'll be at $1,500 by EoY.

I rented a LR MY from Hertz in July this year - no drama, no big announcements; they just had 2 in their fleet (in a pretty small area, this was not a major city). This was during the period when rentals were difficult to find anywhere, and the price was in-line with other nicer SUVs. It even had FSD purchased (but was not running the beta).

Only thing that caught my attention was that they were maintaining at 100% charge and the staff had no information or knowledge about the Tesla or Evs in general - I spent some time going over the car with them!

Last edited: