Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 350k number is accounting for the Chinese New Year. As for lockdowns, there have been no signs of manufacturing lockdowns and no reason to assume there would be given the newer data coming out about omicron.

China is still holding on to their untenable zero COVID strategy even with Omicron having near measles levels of contagiousness and ~10x lower death rate.

The entire city of Xi’an is currently locked down.

You don't need to click on the link....I'm here to tell you that it is an amazing piece of journalism /s

"The company now dominates battery electric vehicle sales in the U.S. and much of the world. But it is expected to lose overall market share as competitors bring out fully electric models of their own."

Well, the article could have been worse! But yeah, the “EV market share” thing is really, really annoying. Tesla is obviously taking market share away from ICE manufacturers, so the only market share number that matters is their overall passenger vehicle market share, and that keeps growing, of course.

Last edited:
China is still holding on to their untenable zero COVID strategy even with Omicron having near measles levels of contagiousness and ~10x lower death rate.

The entire city of Xi’an is currently locked down.
And yet production and sales went along just fine and accelerated in December.

Dec production will come in at 65k. Jan will likely decline to 55k because of Chinese New Year before rebounding to 65k in Feb and then 70k in March. 350k for Q1 is a relatively conservative number because only 10k out of Austin/Berlin each are needed to clear the 350k with buffer

They do now!!! Prost!

The VIN begins with XP7, which is the designation for Tesla’s German-made cars (5YJ or 7SA is Fremont, LRW is Giga Shanghai).
Hm...
Perhaps they are doing cold water testing in Norway?
Come to think of it ... many parts of Europe is cold currently - perhaps a couple of thousand vehicles to do a proper test?

Joking aside, is Elon really trying to pre-empt or second-guess the starting gun? That is gutsy - and risky.
Not sure how that would go down in Deutschland.
Prob not all to well.

Reactions: Andy O and CarlS
The dealer network model is broken and has been for many years.

Actually it is a perfect example of greed and corruption.

The Tesla Model is so so so much better.
I actually like going to a Tesla showroom.
This might be OT but I am trying to understand Teslas advantage here.
I don't get it ... what stops the traditional auto companies from doing a monthly or quarterly price adjustment re. the cars they sell to the dealers? Is such a thing prescribed by US law?
I recall the many problems Tesla had in the early years due to not having dealers. Not so much anymore though.

I don't get it ... what stops the traditional auto companies from doing a monthly or quarterly price adjustment re. the cars they sell to the dealers? Is such a thing prescribed by US law?
I recall the many problems Tesla had in the early years due to not having dealers. Not so much anymore though.
They removed a profit incentive from the chain.
The Dealer network wants profit...the salesman wants to sell you trinkets for your car.

The whole thing is rigged to fleece the buyer.

Tesla want to treat everyone the same. Zero dudes in bad suits following you with a clipboard saying your first name every 10 seconds to build a "relationship" with you.

Last edited:

Dealers can sell cars for any price they wish- they're under no obligation to respect the MSRP, and they aren't owned by the car maker.

So they can do crap like add a big markup to EVs because they'd rather sell you an ICE you'll keep bringing back for profitable service, regardless of it the MFG would like to ramp up their EV transition or not.

Tesla in contrast is selling cars directly to customers (well, except in the handful of states that's not legally allowed still...like Texas- where you technically "buy" it out of state then they can ship your already bought car into that state), without a worthless middle-man adding cost but no value, and insuring anybody ordering the same moment as anyone else sees the same MFG pricing.

I’m beginning to question whether even 4mil cars in 2023 is too conservative. I’d be surprised if there isn’t more demand than that, and I’d be surprised if by then Tesla is still constrained as much by battery supply. Between Tesla itself and it’s suppliers, that should be enough time to ramp battery production.

So then the only question is: how fast can Tesla scale production in its four factories? And these P/D numbers are suggesting the answer: much faster than anyone anticipated!
Thing is - Tesla has been production constrained (not demand constrained) since 2012. Nothing has changed and financial analysts just don't grok production constraint for a manufacturing company for anything than a short time period (a quarter - maybe 2?). A decade is mind blowing.

It'd make Tesla into a case study for MBA students except that its not a useful case study - nobody has ever had the problem for a decade so what's the point of studying the problem?

To be clear - demand constraint (roughly everybody) is where you're looking for more buyers, and right size the manufacturing process to satisfy that demand. A business might spend money on advertising in this condition to increase demand in order to support building more stuff to sell.

Production constraint means that everything you're building is sold (or effectively so) and that buyers are queuing up in longer and longer lines to buy. The problem isn't finding more buyers - its building stuff fast enough that the buyers don't go looking for somebody else to build them what they need.

View attachment 750821

So with at least one car built in Berlin with number plates on driving in Norway. Does this imply that the homologation process is already completed for German built Model Y cars?

Anyone more in the know?
Norway is an EEA country so (with some exceptions) they agree to abide by all EU laws and regulations.
And in Norway, like Germany, cars drive in the right side of the street so no steering wheel adjustment are needed.
So no (or very few) differences should apply. Not sure about the color of the turn-signals.

Norway is very cold though, but AFAIK all new Teslas has the option for cold-weather package.

I don't believe that Tesla has ever been constrained by the lack of traditional dealerships in the US. At least not since I started following the company closely in 2012.

Looking at these production and delivery numbers there is only one thing on my mind.
It's not the profit.
It's how utterly amazing it is that Elon has been able to inspire this many people inside Tesla to produce results like this.
So true! Tesla did an amazing job considering supply constraints, no US incentives and all word of mouth advertising.

The do it all the time, but because it's filtered by dealerships, you never hear about it.

• Helpful
Reactions: LiveLong&Profit
Tesla lies. They said 50% growth YoY going forward. Buncha liars! 😄

In all seriousness though, they are now at 1.2M annual run rate. Shanghai has target production of 1M units (don’t know by when). Fremont runs at 600K? Then add in Berlin and Austin, which could each make 150K conservatively this year. So, I mean we are looking at a low end estimate of 1.5M units, but could be upwards of 2M assuming no supply chain issues.

Congrats Tesla and to everyone here! Huge beat. Here's some napkin math for 2022:

Projections 2022
(Produced)
Q1: 347k
Q2: 396k
Q3: 451k
Q4: 515k
2022 total production estimate: 1,711k
This is assuming 14% production growth quarterly for conservative estimated. In 2021 we saw quarter over quarter growth from q2 of 14%, 15%, and 28%.

Using price to sales ratio to come to some ballpark numbers here is my end of 2022 estimate for where we may end the year:
Based on 1.7M vehicles produced and a price to sales ratio of 18 (bear), 20 (base), and 30 (bull) I have:
P/S 18: $1719
P/S 20: $1910
P/S 30: $2837

This assumes about $55k in rev per vehicle produced and I lump all rev into rev per vehicle for estimation and simplicity.

What was the P/S numbers for 2021?